Stew meat

the blur

I think a regular pot on the stove for many hours.  The meat was well cooked,  brown all the way inside.  Wifey said she can cook it more.... maybe that would make it softer ?  But we havn't done anything with it yet.

I have another 10-15 lbs of "stew meat",  that I have to do something else with..

I never used nor tasted butter milk to be honest, but I love cooking!  I'll have to look into it....

Right now I am making chicken with whole wheat rice, mixed with onions, garlic and diced tomatoes... I wonder if it would be good with some diced venison... Perhaps just browned first to lock in the juices?

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds odd but try making Pickled Venison.  It is nothing like pickled eggs and it's not a meal.  It makes for a gret snack!  Sounds like your wife might have over cooked it.  If you're cooking it on the grill or in the pain cook it no more then medium rare, closer to rare and let it sit off the heat for 5 minutes and it will end up medium rare

Pickled Venison

Sugar 2 cups

Vinegar 1 cup

Water 2 cups

Pickling spices 6 tablespoons

Peppercorn 1to 1.5 tablespoons

Venison 1 to 2 pounds cut into cubes or narrow strips

Cook venison (I prefer hot and fast on a grill or hot skillet)

Combine sugar, vinegar, water, peppercorns, and spice in a pot and warm.

Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.  In a large jar or any airtight storage container add broth and venison.  Shake well and store in refrigerator.  Allow to sit at least 24 hours, longer for stronger flavor

I usually let it sit for at least 2 weeks.  It will be good for at least 1.5 months.  The really big pickle jars work great

• 1 month later...

WOW...all good advice. The buttermilk  also works excellent for chicken thighs. Soak them babies over night,and plop them into a covered electric non stick frying pan cook till crispy brown....now im hungry.

As far as the soup/stew meat......crock with Lipton onion soup mix or any of what was already posted. We also like to marinade in italian,helps tenderize and get rid of the game-E taste.

I cook stew meat...In a stew of course. ;)

I do not have a recipe for it..I just cut up the stew meat on the small side. I do not brown it first, I just put it in the crock pot with string beans, taters, carrots, a whole onion(diced) some diced garlic, some diced tomato, some dried basil, some water, a small can of beef stock or gravy. Add Salt and pepper. Cook on low over night...Delicious!

I never used nor tasted butter milk to be honest, but I love cooking!  I'll have to look into it....

Right now I am making chicken with whole wheat rice, mixed with onions, garlic and diced tomatoes... I wonder if it would be good with some diced venison... Perhaps just browned first to lock in the juices?

Yes, that works great with venison. Ive made that very thing with strips of steak, cut almost as thin as you would for jerky.

Just finished off a rabbit stew and it was great. Wish I shot more rabbits. My venison stew is good too, First I dip the stew meat in flower and brown it in a frying pan with butter. Don't cook it long just long enough to brown on all sides. Put it in a crock pot with the following , potatoes, carrots, onion, celery .Cover with water add Two beef bouillon cubes, also add Sazon Goya seasoning which ever ones you like, and add salt and pepper. Set crock pot on high for 6 to 7 hrs. To thicken the gravy just add 3 tablespoons of flower with 1/2 cup of cold water, shake well so there are no lumps then add to crock pot and mix it in with the stew. Add this about an hour before stew is done. I make my rabbit stew the same way always comes out great. A very hearty meal for a cold winters dinner.

Dave

If you learn to make a good rue first.. which is just flour and water that has been cooked and stirred repeatedly until it turns a particular color... you will find that any stew comes out with a perfect gravy consistancy... it takes about 1/2 hour or so to make a really good rue be fore making your stew, but worth the time for the outcome of the stew.

Most gumbo recipes have great rue instuctions in the recipe.

If you learn to make a good rue first.. which is just flour and water that has been cooked and stirred repeatedly until it turns a particular color... you will find that any stew comes out with a perfect gravy consistancy... it takes about 1/2 hour or so to make a really good rue be fore making your stew, but worth the time for the outcome of the stew.

Most gumbo recipes have great rue instuctions in the recipe.

Its Roux not rue but any way, it is most commonly made with equal parts fat and flour. Most of the time butter more specificaly, you can whip one up in a few minutes or cook it to make it darker if you wish. Just melt the butter in a pan and whisk in the flour. There is another way to thicken sauces, and it is to make a cornstarch slurry which is made by mixing cornstarnch and cold water together into a wet paste like consistency. Then you add it to the hot liquid and whisk away, but becarefull because a little goes a long way and it will thicken pretty quick. It can be fixed by adding a little more liquid and whisking some more. 

• 4 weeks later...

You might try McCormick's Bag'n Season found in the seasoning isle of your local supermarket. They have stew, meatloaf, pot roast to name a few and these are the ones I have tried. Clean up the meat you got back from your butcher the best you can.Try to be left with raw looking meat. Any sinue should be clipped off. Unfortunetly when you take your deer to the butcher most times there is a power saw involved and in my opinion ruins the taste of venison. The only thing I do when using this product is adjust the cooking time and rely on a meat thermometer for the meat loaf or roast.

Roast 148-150 remove and let set for ten minutes

Loaf meat 156 "                                  "

Stew try to guess what time verses the amount of meat used.

First off, not knowing from what part of the deer or even if it was your deer's meat. I would suggest two options, pan seared quickly and slow cooked in a crock pot for 6-8 hrs or can it. (meaning canning process, not garbage can)

Over cooking venison is one the worst things one can do, the more you cook it the tougher it will get (conventional stove top method that is) as far as the gamey taste, not much you can do but cover it up with some other flavoring........................................the gamey taste could be from a number of things that caused the meat to taste like it does.

Yet another reason to process your own deer...........................you know what's in the package.

FDXX75

First off, not knowing from what part of the deer or even if it was your deer's meat. I would suggest two options, pan seared quickly and slow cooked in a crock pot for 6-8 hrs or can it. (meaning canning process, not garbage can)

Over cooking venison is one the worst things one can do, the more you cook it the tougher it will get (conventional stove top method that is) as far as the gamey taste, not much you can do but cover it up with some other flavoring........................................the gamey taste could be from a number of things that caused the meat to taste like it does.

Yet another reason to process your own deer...........................you know what's in the package.

FDXX75

Absolutely !