Warm weather newbie... What to do after the kill

MoneyPit

So with the season quickly approaching I just realized I've never harvested a deer during warm weather. So I need some advice well a lot actually. all the past deer I've shot have been during the Wisconsin 9 day gun season in November we usually string them up in the garage let them drain out and cool down overnight then bone them out. How would I go about processing one outside in the heat?

"All your hobbies are money pits"

- Fiancé

If you can get it cool somehow, do it.  Some will take foam insulation and a window air conditioner to make a make-shift cooler.  I will remove the loins right away, leave the skin on, and let hang overnight to drain blood.  Leaaving the skin on will protect meat from air and flys.  Warm meat is miserable to process but it can be done.  Take a couple bags of ice and fill the rib cage, then cover with a tarp.

I would have good access to ice to get into the cavity as soon as possible. (Either take it with you or know where a close store is). get it home and hung as quickly as possible. Hot weather isn't a "let it lay while my buddy finishes his two hour sit" time. Hang it and skin it right away. get the quarters in coolers with ice while you trim up and package. If you have access to an old fridge, it works great to place them in there. placing skinned quarters in  a cool area and leaving them will result in meat loss due to trimming off the dried out meat. I cut mine right away, Make sure you have the time to handle the deer if you are going out. (or have a place to cut it for you). Personally I don't like or trust the deer cutting places. I really wouldn't use one in hot weather unless they had a good cooler. Spoiled meat and flies on my meat ....well  

:bad:

Guts out, hide off and hung in the shade at a minimum. All ASAP.

Then depending on the actual temperature in the shade you could leave it for a bit, maybe covered with a sheet to keep flies off then butcher as quick as you can.

I like to also stash a big bag of ice in the chest cavity to help speed the cooling process.

• Like 2

I take mine to a local deer processor, and if i kill one during the warm season, i gut it immediately and drive it over to his place where it goes right into the cooler. I have had to leave on in my truck overnight and i put 3 bags of ice in the cavity, and it turned out fine. Best bet would be to arrange with a processor that u may be bringing him some deer after evening sits and get his cell phone # so he can meet you. 

If I shoot one and it is really warm I will immediately skin it, quarter it and put it in the freezer.  I like the meat to just firm up a little before de-boning and cutting. I definitely wouldn't leaving it hanging for any amount of time unless you have a controlled area with a temp under 50deg IMO

It is good that you are asking this ahead of time. If you are not prepared to take care of your deer in the warm weather, make darn sure you have a reliable processor that you can contact and deliver to.

Phade is correct saying frozen jugs and soda bottles work good and stay frozen longer. In the warm weather I have a cooler with frozen milk jugs sitting at my vehicle. Just one more thing to get ready, but if I shoot one, it is going to be used, not wasted. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending how you look at it, I have not shot a deer in the warm weather in awhile. The last one was brutal for me with blackberry briers still green, about a half mile from the car, and mid 70's. Lets just say, it will take a special deer for me to launch an arrow in that warm of weather ever again.

I'm NOT disagreeing with anything that's been said above, so I'm trying to be careful how I say this..., but don't be afraid if you have to leave a deer for a few hours overnight with temps in the ~60's or so. I've had to do that, and the meat was still fine.

Cooling the carcass "ASAP" sometimes means as soon as you recover it, which could be several hours later.

Rushing into the tracking job due to less than ideal temps could lead to an animal going unrecovered completely if the shot is anything less than perfect.

Priority #1 needs to be recovery of your deer before you thnk of anything else.

I wouldn't hesitate to process a deer recovered up to maybe 24hrs in the above scenario conditions. That may gross some guys out, but I've been there, done that, tasted good, and I'm still alive.

• Like 1