Opening Day Weather

beachpeaz

here in the north half of the state, we started today. It has been that way for many years and works well.   I would think if one is patterning a "big Buck" during warm summer weather, this type of weather would be ideal.  But what do I know I have only been hunting quite successfully for 40 years.  I guess I will learn someday.  At 9 am today I had seen a spike 2 does and 3 fawns. All out of range, but they sure seemed to be moving.  I had to come out due to working at 3.  Good luck to all who brave these horrid weather conditions.

• Like 4

Calling for 70* here... which should keep deer patterns right on track with what the rest of the summer has been like weather wise to this point.

Just planning a couple prime time sits in the mornings and evenings early on.

I ain't gonna sweat it. ;)

Better days to come no doubt, but I wouldn't miss the opener for the world. Seeing plenty of late afternoon activity around a few of my stands, so keeping my fingers crossed for an opportunity at a shooter no mater what.

• Like 5

who cares about doe?  lol.

I could shoot a doe literally any day, under any circumsnance of weather by me there are so many. 

I was specifically referring to mature bucks.....which do care about the weather a great deal.

does are idiots ;)

I care about does, they don't taste like idiots!!! so no one ever gets daytime trail cam pics of bucks in the summer when it's warm out???

I'm curious about what you all think about dead deer in warm weather. We have already had a situation posted here in this forum, where the deer was not recovered when shot, and an overnight situation in some warmer kind of weather resulted. It happens fairly frequently, I would say. Certainly it is not unusual.

So has anybody figured out a "time vs. temperature" guess-timate of when a deer might go bad. For example a deer that has spent the entire night in the woods where the temperature maybe only went down to 60 degrees .... is the meat still likely to be good? How about 50 degrees? How about 70 degrees and you found the deer within 8 hours. You get what I mean? Where is the break-off point where you start wondering about the meat? You can't just go by the smell .... lol... even a fresh killed deer stinks when you first open it up.

Three years ago I hit a buck at 8:30 AM on the second day of the season, mid-October. He turned away from me just as I released the arrow and it entered just forward of his rear leg. I started the search at about 1:00 with temps in the 70's and didn't find him until about 4:30 in the afternoon. He was bloated to the point that when I pulled the arrow out I got sprayed with some pretty unpleasant stuff.

This was right behind my house, so I was able to hose him out and towel-dry the cavity about an hour after I found him. He was skinned and hanging in the processor's shed by 6:30 that night, and he was cut up the following morning with almost no loss of meat, and everything tasted fine. That's 8 hours in the sun, and another 2 hours before real cool-down began.

I'm still not sure exactly how the shot happened like it did, but the arrow traveled through everything inside that deer including the liver. The fletching was halfway through the hide when I found him, but the broadhead ended up hanging inside the chest cavity where it sliced and diced one lung and half of the heart while he was running away. He made it 150 yards and left only a half dozen tiny specks of aspirated blood. I managed to find him because I knew roughly where he was headed, and I got lucky.

Edited by philoshop