The South

Five Seasons

do you know the two people?? that would be a bit of a shock. 

Disregard that - saw your comment in between the pictures

public land

what state, if you don't mind telling?

Mississippi. I'm in Oxford (Ole Miss territory). About an hour south of Memphis. Very non-typical southern area, but you can go 15 minutes in any direction and be reminded.

• 2 months later...

Connected on my first Mississippi deer yesterday morning. Overslept and was in the tree with my climber at 7:30 and instead of 5:30. Around 10:15 she came out of nowhere on a b-line to me full sprint. Saw me and froze and then took off quartering away behind the tree. I stopped her with my mouth at about 50 yards. Shot was high but worked out as I put one through the back of her neck with the CVA Optima. She fell over like a tree. Had I had better action on the public land over the last few months I probably would have waited to see if it was a buck on her but I couldn't pass up the meat.

Tough drag out of those ravines in Upper Sardis even with a cart. She weighed in at 75lbs. which is decent size down here and I now have 2 doe in the freezer so it's time to hunt for horns. The rut is still 2 weeks away! It's not even rifle season yet :clapping:

036_zps38d6e8b7.jpg

040_zps7e1cb23d.jpg

039_zpsa9d93b1e.jpg

029_zps1f3c92b9.jpg

• Like 3

What week in January do you want me to come down for the rut?

christmas week is when it goes down.

Southern hunting is so hit or miss for me. Part of me has no desire to hunt that way or that landscape and part of me enjoys it.

Congrats on the doe, and hope you get a crack at a buck.

it's hard to wrap my head around it. Bow season was a joke. Part of it being that I was brand new to the area, but they're just not moving. The rut is what really makes Bow season fun. At the end of the day it's all i have for the next year or 2 so I'll take what I can get.

thinking about it. wanted to try out public land this year. Initially i was dissapointed, but after I bought a gps and had the balls to hike deeper I think I've found some pretty nice areas that the average joe doesn't venture to. Will see how the last 2 months go here before I make a call on that next year.