Other hunters on property

Woodjr55

if the guy is already on stand and you come in later STAY AWAY......wait by his vehicle if you really need to talk to him....if he's coming in after you're already in your stand and he's climbing up when he knows you're there, then screw him and do it when you want.

• Like 2

I have not had to deal with anything like this in 25 plus years,but if a guy has a hang on set then I would pretty much stay away from it.

Heck use his position to hunt where deer will skirt him.

It's hard to tell who was there first if one is using a climber .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

If the guy is in his stand I avoid him. My family has been hunting the property for over 10 years my grandpa worked for the land owner. But it sucks because it's right on the only path on the property and he's only about a third the way into the property. I don't only want to hunt where is stand is but I also don't want to walk right under him to get to the back of the property

If the guy is in his stand I avoid him. My family has been hunting the property for over 10 years my grandpa worked for the land owner. But it sucks because it's right on the only path on the property and he's only about a third the way into the property. I don't only want to hunt where is stand is but I also don't want to walk right under him to get to the back of the property

Your family may have hunted it for some time but how long have you and was his stand there first and you decided to limb a tree up 20 yards from him?

I saw 20 yards thrown out but not sure if it was a literal. In any event if his stand was there first I think proper etiquette would be for you to get in touch with him some how and let him know when you plan on hunting that parcel and vise versa. I think it would be the right way rather to have either of you get up early in the morn sit and see flash lights coming through the woods. I hear what your saying tho, some guys hang in the oddest of places blocking access for others at times to venture further. But if his stand was there first it's on you to reach out

This is a pretty good question, especially for those of us who hunt state land and are finding crowded conditions getting worse each year. What really gets ugly is when two guys scout out the same area, become convinced that it is the hottest spot in the woods, and both show up there on the same day. This gets especially aggravating if the arrival times are such that you really should be hunkering into your stand and getting ready for the daylight.

Yes, If you really need to hunt in or near that area, I can see where you might want to have a talk to ensure that it doesn't happen again. It's just a crappy situation that no one is at fault for, but you sure don't want it happening more than once.

I think I might spend my day finding another good spot, a long, long way from that guy.

I remember a few years back during bow season, getting to my stand in the dark and setting up. Once it started to get light out I look over my shoulder and notice someone in a climber about 50 yards away. It was one of my good hunting buds and neither of us knew the other had decided to hunt the same spot that morning! It was pretty funny. That was on private land that we both had permission to hunt. 

On this subject: hunting land we don't own, public or private can be a bit frustrating when others are in "our spot".  I scout in the off season and try to locate spots far away from everyone, and if someone is near an area I have a stand I try not to let it ruin my day. It's part of hunting, I'll readjust and move on, maybe come back on a week day to hunt that area when things quiet down. Until I win the lottery and can buy 100 acres I have no choice.

So you don't really know the person.  I would meet up with him at some point and get to know them.  Meet at a diner in the morning or something and enter the woods together so he can go to his stand and you can keep on going to yours.  Set up a form of communication even if it is just a text when one goes in to say hey i'm in here.  Find another route around his stand so if he is there first, you have another entry and exit point.  Who knows if they are a good person you may actually gain a hunting friend and you guys can share data on deer activity. Or lie and tell him you are seeing huge ones on another piece of the property and hope he moves his stand off the trail! HAHA  But seriously I'd talk to him and become friends.  You guys are hunting the same piece and sometimes you end up needing help to track or drag a deer.