Note to self!!!

erussell

I have first hand experience of being in that situation. It's not fun. My experience was with deep snow on a steep unmaintained mountain road. We wound up walking off the hill and down into Naples to buy a set of chains and then climbing back up the hill to put them on and get the heck out of there.

At the top of the road, there was a steep stretch that turned out to be a point of no return. After sliding down that 50 yards, like a bobsled totally out of control, we knew we were in trouble. I knew there was no going out the bottom because of twisting steep areas, so the only way out was to somehow get back up the stretch we had just slid down. Of course that was impossible. So we had to hike down into Naples for the tire chains. We turned around in an old driveway used for logging after we got the chains on. That did the trick and we made it back up that steep part, but the entire day's hunt was wrecked.

Doc

Happened to me on Morton Hill road in Roscoe. My brother-in-law and I were headed to my first camp and the truck started sliding backwards on ice we ended up in the ditch.

The local farmer came by and we asked for help, he said he was too busy (never liked him anyway.) 10 minutes later an old guy comes by smoking a corn pipe in his pickup. Pulled us right out before we could say thanks he was on his way, by that time the sander came along and all was well. Thought I heard  bells and the old man laughing as he pulled away, true story!

where does the deer go on a hundai ?

You can stuff a deer into most trunks, just last week we squeezed a doe into the back of my Sentra..haha

My buddy tried to drive down a seasonal road that was a snowmobile trail in his old Corolla...he didn't make it far and I had a long laugh when he told me what he had done.

LOL Don't be ashamed, I have a similar note in my truck- HEED WARNING SIGNS..

I went 'exploring' new a new state forest this year, Huntersfield, in the afternoon.. The GPS routed me to it using the north entrance, Huntersfield road.. I saw the "Seasonal Road sign", which never really worried me before, but I thought the "Enter at your own risk" sign was kind of interesting..

Anyway, the road climbs up, then got REALLY steep.. Trailblazer is in 4wd HI, I'm going up then having second thoughts, so I slow down to check the map, and stop. Big Mistake. I pick up the map, then I get the feeling of movement..

The truck is slowly sliding backwards, wheels locked up with the brakes floored! :'(

I let easy up off the brakes while easing into the gas, in drive, speedo/rpms come up a bit but I'm still sliding backwards...  ???

but its now starting to slide towards the 'low' side of the road, which  is backed up with a pretty steel drop off & is really starting to  worry me.. So I come off the gas, feather the brakes to get some wheel movement, cutting the wheel to get back to the road center, but no change...  A few speedy quickie prayers, which seemed like S L O W M O T I O N, then it finally grabs.. and I keep it rolling back about 100 yards down hill to a lesser grade.. and sat there for 15 minutes to 'evaluate' my good fortune!  :-[

Being stupid & stubborn, I located myself on the map, & decided to give it another try.. I did climb the hill, kept forward momentum, slayed out of the glazed tracks and made it with just a little wheel slip.. Lesson learned about stopping mid grade and will make sure to evaluate any 'Enter at Your Own Risk' signs in the future..

( Wife didn't hear of this 'adventure', she's still complains about the hole in the bumper cover from 5 years ago..)

I shot a pig one time on Fort Polk in Lousiana about 1 mile back in the rough. After dragging it 1/2 mile down a tank trail I got tired and couldnt go anymore. So I had a bright idea to go get the corrolla and come get it. Well I got down there fine and got the pig in the back of the trunk. I tried to turn around and went off the side of the road a little and got stuck in the sand and just spun my tires. So I had to walk back out to the road and wait till someone with a truck came along. Luckily they did after a few hrs and came back and pulled me out.