the best grain sabot

nybuckboy

I'm sure this will open a can of worms but I'm looking for the best all around weight sabot for deer hunting. Not brand but weight. The reason I ask is I just bought my son a TC 50 cal Impact. I use a 270 grain sabot with 100 grain pyrodex in TC Trumph. He will use the same grain pyrodex and I bought 245 grain for his TC. I thought this would be a good weight. (please don't tell me to change to777)

I realize there will be some trade off. More weight = less velocity but more kinetic energy AND less weight = more velocity but less kinetic energy.

What grain weight do all you experts feel (myself included) gives the best velocity and impact?

there is no best answer. It will all depend on what the gun shoots well.  My t/c rifles (encore and impact)  seem to do best in the 240 to 250 range.  I shoot a 250 grain round nose lead bullet I mold myself in a harvestr crush rib sabot.  I get 5 touching out of either gun at 100 yards, but the powder charges are different. One shoots pyrodex select the othe rblackhorn 209. You do not need to hurl a conical the size of a football to harvest deer. 

Over the years Ive shot more than 20 deer with 300 grain XTPs. All except 2 exited even when shoulders were hit.. All had great blood trails. All deer were down with in 40 yards.  This year 2 deer with 250 grain XTP's out of an Encore. 1 exited 1 didnt. 1 deer down in 20 yards the other about 60. Found the bullet under the hide in fragments.  The jury is still out on these but i feel more comfortable with the heavier bullet and a much better chance of a pass through.  I used these because the Encore shot them so well but next year I'll find a load with the 300's.

I'm sure this will open a can of worms but I'm looking for the best all around weight sabot for deer hunting. Not brand but weight. The reason I ask is I just bought my son a TC 50 cal Impact. I use a 270 grain sabot with 100 grain pyrodex in TC Trumph. He will use the same grain pyrodex and I bought 245 grain for his TC. I thought this would be a good weight. (please don't tell me to change to777)

I realize there will be some trade off. More weight = less velocity but more kinetic energy AND less weight = more velocity but less kinetic energy.

What grain weight do all you experts feel (myself included) gives the best velocity and impact?

Well duh... I did not have and have been using Triple 7 a along. Anyway, my son sighted in his TC Impact in 4 shots from a bore sighting direct from the store.  He is shooting 295gr Copper Powerbelts and I am shooting the rest of my 270gr Platinum Powerbelts. I'll switch to the 295 b/c they are more readily available when those are gone.

I like 250 grain. you have to confirm how anything will shoot in your guns but I would start as a baseline with the same for both guns. why have to buy different powder and different bullets. Then evaluate  the performance you require. If you are hunting property that a 100 yard shot is the max. do you need touching patterns or would you be satisfied with a 3" group. If both guns put your chosen bullets in a 6" circle at 100 yards with your chosen powder I would keep the loads the same for both guns. A lot to be said for having the ability to share rounds and powder in the field. ...slip...fall....wet powder.. opps forgot my possibles bag.....no problem if you both shoot the same loads

• 3 weeks later...