Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

2 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

this is the first time I went out, I didn't hear another shot or see another person beside my hunting partner the last day. Deer were acting like they do in bow season again completely normal. 

Exactly my point. Most have got their take and Don it need to pressure the herds and take more bred females and dropped bucks.  It’s just Ny’s way of thinking the herd needs reduced when in most parts of the state that’s far from the problem. This is what happens when someone sitting at a desk makes the rules. Kinda like it’s Ok to have a deer contest but not a useless vermin Coyote contest. 

48 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Exactly my point. Most have got their take and Don it need to pressure the herds and take more bred females and dropped bucks.  It’s just Ny’s way of thinking the herd needs reduced when in most parts of the state that’s far from the problem. This is what happens when someone sitting at a desk makes the rules. Kinda like it’s Ok to have a deer contest but not a useless vermin Coyote contest. 

DEC already said this hunt has nothing to do with reducing the population. 

I remember reading it was for more opportunity for kids, college students and such having that week off to hunt. I could see my girl doing this one year after Christmas coming to my house to hunt. It always crosses my my mind if I shoot a big doe then you are reducing the herd by probably 3 deer. Totally debatable for sure. 

4 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

DEC already said this hunt has nothing to do with reducing the population. 

lol. Yeah and if you believe that…….  DEC did not make the season and those that continue to make these early seasons and late seasons do it for one reason only. Population Control. Giving hunters that are left the easiest times to be in the woods. 

1 hour ago, First-light said:

I remember reading it was for more opportunity for kids, college students and such having that week off to hunt. I could see my girl doing this one year after Christmas coming to my house to hunt. It always crosses my my mind if I shoot a big doe then you are reducing the herd by probably 3 deer. Totally debatable for sure. 

Exactly and taking out that mature buck that dropped his rack because of breeding stress or how many BB’s get takin out of the population. Some don’t own land or care out any kind of management and that’s fine. State lands is just a continuation of the onslaught. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

lol. Yeah and if you believe that…….  DEC did not make the season and those that continue to make these early seasons and late seasons do it for one reason only. Population Control. Giving hunters that are left the easiest times to be in the woods. 

Doesn't make much sense, does it? Of course, we all know politicians rely on " experts" in their field. The problem is, they don't get out in the field.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 4:06 PM, Four Seasons said:

I believe 2 buck tags will always damage the hunting here more than any season length. Pa has an extended season, heck pretty much every state does that has big and good hunting. 

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

I believe 2 buck tags will always damage the hunting here more than any season length. Pa has an extended season, heck pretty much every state does that has big and good hunting. 

Yup.  Would have no problem with shorter season and one buck tag.  Hell some want 3 buck tags now that crossbow is a thing. 

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, ANTLERS said:

January 31st

Used to love doing some hunts on LI. We would get two spots joined together and with 4 guys push all day long. See so many deer. It's a lot of fun but tough shooting in the underbrush! Good luck!

1 minute ago, Northcountryman said:

Isnt that many places to hunt there, though is there? I thought Long Island was too packed with people!! :lol:

No plenty of places to hunt in Suffolk county. Some state parks. All regulated by the DEC check in and out. Especially at gun season. Sounds like a hassle but it isn't. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Popular there or not so much?

Yes pretty popular among the sportsman but most people on LI are not informed enough or are anti hunting. I never had a problem out there and it was a great time. 

4 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Popular there or not so much?

2,700 we’re taken in 2022. The National Park Service has to do culls of several sites including Fire island in an attempt to slow down the rising herd. The real ticking time bomb is Nassau county, no hunting and the numbers are rising quickly. Their now in areas they’ve never been before. I can show some pics of Nassau deer that are monsters.

• Like 1