Disappointing trail cam pics

Al Bundy

Deer have been hitting the oaks hard. It's likely your cam just isn't in a good spot. The deer will only go where they need to when the weather is warm. I've been finding fresh scrapes for the past week so soon those deer will be less patternable. When they start chasing does, you'll want to hover around doe bedding zones. If the extent of your scouting is hanging a trailcam, then you're going in blind.

To be honest, there isn't much land in NYS that doesn't get traversed by coyotes.

So how big is the parcel of land?

Is there any nearby agricultural activity? Are you the one using the land?

• Like 1

Total land is about 22 acres. Half young open woods, half swale field. Across the street corn fields, still standing. I put the cam on an intersection of four trails (in a bit thicker part of the woods) all converging on that point. I'm going to move the cam today but there is even less sign other places. No rubs no scrapes to be seen. I'm very limited where I can hunt due to houses and bad neighbors.

That's a tough one, it don't take much to burn out 22 acres. I'm sure rutting activity will bring some deer through, but if there is no habitat/land features to hold deer then you might be beating your meat until the rut or atleast until the corn comes down. Is this your only hunting spot?

First year I hunted this small piece of property I got hardly anything on cams. I learned their patterns better and cut some good trails and moved the cams. Big mounter bucks the next year. Sometimes your cams are just in the wrong spot or you have to do a little more prep. Don't give up. Saw a 120 class 9 a few days ago that we have no pics of.

I agree trail cam pics are great, but I see stuff even in october, that we have never seen before.  My brother oddly enough saw 5 spikes in front of his stand at one time. We also saw a bunch of other racked deer we have never seen before opening weekend. 

Y thanks for all this. I do have permission to hunt the one corn field. I hesitate to put a trail cam there though. My wife will sit edge of corn with the bow then her rifle if corn is down.  I walked the edge of the corn the other day and saw tons of tracks and some droppings. They are walking up the side of the corn field.  The doe bed down in the swale field at my place most times.  We have bucks move through there or even bed maybe. I have seen scrapes and rubs, just nothing this year.

I did end up changing the cam location.  See what happens.

I will see it in a week. Hope the new spot got something. I almost hope the corn is still up for a good while.  Places for 2 or 3 people to sit along the corn and hedge. During gun season this will be a sweet sweet spot if the corn is up, so I think.