And in the right corner . . .

Deerthug

the heavy weight champion sporting 8 points - and weighing in at 200lbs - The Boss

And in the right corner sporting only 6 points and weighing in at 150lbs - The Challenger

post-1257-0-62861000-1413213946_thumb.jp 

post-1257-0-69351600-1413214146_thumb.jp

And the winner is . .  .

post-1257-0-08040200-1413214252_thumb.jp

Lets not forget the ring girl . . . well . . . maybe not a girl but he's so pretty, NOT!

post-1257-0-05921700-1413214287_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Yes 200lb deer are rear in NY, but if they have the right food its possible. I shot a 6 point about 20 years ago from the farm. The farm is corn,soybeans, and grains. I shot this 6 point with a bow the second day of season in a soybean field  when it started on the 15th. I weighed him in on several different deer boards and he topped the scale at 185lbs. So if they have the right nutrition anything is possible. 

My 7pt the prior year topped 190lbs and last years 8 pt topped 185lbs so it is possible. Corn last year and soys this year already cut.

Were they weighed on an accurate scale?  Honestly, in all my years hunting in the southern tier, I can't say I have seen too many approaching anywhere near 200lbs.  I've seen so many people embellish the actual weight by at least 30 or 40lbs.  They will swear that the deer was 200lbs, when it probably wouldn't have weight 160 if you dunked it in a mixture of olive oil, flour and eggs.

• Like 2

What's up with the Ring Girl? What are all those brown/black lumpy looking things?

I'm curious as well. I have a doe on camera with those on her as well. One looks to be the size of a tennis ball..

Btw... I would shoot the big guy in a second, even if he was 100# on the hoof...Lol

Maybe even better, it would make for an easier drag...ha

I have personally seen 4 deer on the scales at over 200. One was my NZ 12 pointer at 205.

But in the Op Deerthug was giving commentary like a fighter with live weights I assume. This time of year (pre-rut) 200 on the hoof isn't a stretch at all for a good 31/2 year old in good habitat.

The deer in my Avatar was shot that last weekend of ML in SZ. I think that one was 187. Pre rut it was probably pushing 200.

• Like 1

But in the Op Deerthug was giving commentary like a fighter with live weights I assume. This time of year (pre-rut) 200 on the hoof isn't a stretch at all for a good 31/2 year old in good habitat.

From that perspective I guess I wouldn't disagree that some live deer weights can approach or go over 200.  If you have one weigh around 200 field dressed, then that deer would have weighed like 240 or more live weight, which is one BRUTE of a deer for the Catskill, Hudson valley region of NYS.  Just not too many around that region that I've seen anywhere near that big.   

• Like 1

WNY - under 200 im saying only because my Dad just shot a 6+ year old Mule Deer recently and the belly was almost on the ground and it was probably only like 230-240 according to our guide. Mule deer are bigger deer than whitetails. The guts alone looked 2-3 times bigger than any gut pile I've seen from a whitetail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I shot my first P&Y back in 2003, dressed it was 206 lbs. I had the deer aged and it came back 5 an 1/2. I have yet to see a deer that size since. The other big ones I've shot, I'm always like man that's a big deer. Then I weigh it and it always seems to come back 140-160 dressed. I think alot goes into the size of the deer habitat, age, time of year shot, etc. 200lb deer are out there, just good at hiding from us :) I Googled heaviest deer taken in NY for kicks and it came up a hunter in 1946, with the deer officially weighing in at 291lbs dressed. That is crazyyy if that's true

Ok, some good guesses. The buck was 163# dressed, shot less than a week after the last photo was taken. That would put him right around that 200# mark on the hoof. When I gutted him, his stomach was enormous, and packed full of corn. Thats just about all that was in there actually. He was spending most of his time bedded right in the corn.

Oh, and BTW, thats a 2 1/2 year old lol

I would not say 200# deer are more rare than good mature bucks. I see a few every year over 200 on the hoof. My biggest weighed on DEC scales dressed out 186 so live weight close to 230. Was shot in a Syracuse suburb with bow and was 5.5 years old. I have one on cam last year that is just a pig I would guess 250 live. I hope to get a chance to weigh him this year.

• Like 1