Is Walmarts ammo price usually the best

luberhill

1 hour ago, airedale said:

Walmart's prices on just about anything is pretty good and that goes for ammo too. Unless Maine has some kind of cockeyed law I would think you should be able to buy ammo there with no problem, Hochul probably would not like it though.:rofl:

Al

Yea I’m sure she wouldn’t 

15 hours ago, luberhill said:

I was in Walmart today

150 grain 30-30 Winchester PP was 20.00 a box of 20

That seems lower than I have seen..

another ? If I’m im Maine on vacation, can I buy ammo ?

Just for the heck of it, figure out what the NY state sales tax would be, on the ammo you buy in Maine.  When you get home, place that amount in cash in an envelope, mail it to gov Hochul, along with a note saying that you felt bad about spending your money out of state and you wanted to make sure that at least the state got their cut, even though the NY state business owners and their employees did not.  

Maybe that will help her see the error in her ways.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Just for the heck of it, figure out what the NY state sales tax would be, on the ammo you buy in Maine.  When you get home, place that amount in cash in an envelope, mail it to gov Hochul, along with a note saying that you felt bad about spending your money out of state and you wanted to make sure that at least the state got their cut, even though the NY state business owners and their employees did not.  

Maybe that will help her see the error in her ways.  

There is probably a law about transporting across state lines 

19 minutes ago, luberhill said:

There is probably a law about transporting across state lines 

Not sure about that, never heard about one.  You’d think someone would post it here if such a jaw exists.  

I’d imagine that the close by border state ammo dealers jack their prices up so that they can fleece the NY’ers. 

We’re taking a summer vacation to Southern PA next year and I’m going to stock up when we are down there.  I’ll try and remember to send Mrs Hochul some cash for the taxes if we do. 

Ive got plenty of ammo, likely a lifetime supply for my “big guns”, but could go for some resupply for my .22 rim-fire and .410 shotgun.  I’d like to get after the squirrels, that have been pestering me all deer season, and that will deplete my current supply.  

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 1:55 PM, luberhill said:

I was in Walmart today

If I’m im Maine on vacation, can I buy ammo ?

I built  a new house up in central Maine in 1992 that is my hunting camp . I asked the local gun shop this exact question if a guy coming to our house from NY can just buy ammo for his rifle .  Their policy is they check your ID for your age , not for wear you live. You can buy the ammo with no issue . Once you leave the store its your ammo and you can do what you want with it . They dont keep any records of who bought what or how many of each or where they live. There is no information kept or transferred or notification sent to any state government or agency.

In other words , its your ammo and you can take it home with you. I read somewhere that Witch Hole Hochul was asking the bordering  states to NY , Penn , Ohio , and Vermont, to cooperate with them to report ammo sales to NY residents . As far as I know they all told her she can take a nose dive in the crap hole she created . They were not obligated to do more paperwork and costs for her benefit. 

THE HOCHUL PIT 

toilet.jpg

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Well it sounds like there is definitely no law against bringing anmo into NY, from across state lines, for personal use.  That means gov Hochul will be getting a small financial gift from me, to help make up for the sales tax revenue that she lost by forcing me to purchase my ammo out of state.  It just don’t seem right, enjoying all the benefits of this fine state (world class scenery, fishing, hunting, and summer weather conditions) without paying my fair share.  

We will have to take the suv on that trip.  The tyranny is getting kind of week on our Toyota minivan and I don’t think it will be up to hauling all that extra lead up and down them hills.  

Edited by wolc123

On 12/16/2023 at 8:05 AM, wolc123 said:

Ive got plenty of ammo, likely a lifetime supply for my “big guns”, but could go for some resupply for my .22 rim-fire and .410 shotgun.  I’d like to get after the squirrels, that have been pestering me all deer season, and that will deplete my current supply.  

I used to use a .410 as a kid for squirrel hunting; loved that gun :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

I used to use a .410 as a kid for squirrel hunting; loved that gun :D

My grandfather, on my mom’s side, got my old Winchester single shot .410 for her when she was young.  I think it was made in the early 1920’s.  She never took to it, nor did her two sisters.  They didn’t have any brothers, so no one used it much until I came along to liven up my Mom’s Christmas 59 years ago.  

Ive been shooting squirrels with it for over 40 years (since I turned 14).  My most memorable one was that first or second year.  Our neighbor, across the street, had an English walnut tree, and folks would come from all over for those and other garden produce, which they sold out by the road.  

He had a little roadside produce stand, that fit on the 3-point hitch of his 1951 Ford 8n (I later bought that tractor from his widow after he passed).  The walnut tree was in the front yard and he parked the tractor and stand under its branches.  

One day after school, I was over there after the raiding squirrels and I shot one up near the top of the tree.  My shot was aimed in a safe direction (away from the road), but the squirrel bounced around a bit on its fall, and landed right on that little stand, between baskets of produce, while there was a customer there shopping.  

I remember the old woman telling the somewhat shell shocked customer: “he’s been after that one for a long time”.  
FB8B50E4-11E1-46BA-8245-9FCA256637BD.thumb.jpeg.0c07811892a0d662ccc3a06ea7e495e9.jpeg

5968D7BC-4CF3-42C7-9280-F9D53C5EA2EE.thumb.jpeg.925d026bb29dee5d624547f7bb818868.jpeg

My grandfather had quite a stash of 2-1/2” Remington #6’s, but I gave most of what I had left to my father in law. I mostly used my .22’s for squirrel hunting in later years, so those .410’s lasted me a long time.  

They have a squirrel issue around their bird feeders and he could rarely hit them with his .22.  I let him borrow my single shot .410 for a year, and he bought an over and under double of his own last year.  

I used to be in a Winter trap league, before we had kids.  We would always have a .410 shoot on one week each season.  I bought #8’s for that.  It was a real challenge with the full-choked .410.  You had to get in the birds fast and shoot them close, because of such a tiny and light pattern, compared to the 12 ga.  

I got pretty good at that and usually finished first on our team on those weeks, while I rarely did so well with the 12 gauge, compared to our other shooters.  To this day, I don’t think I ever shot a 24 with a 12 gauge, but I did shoot 4-5 25’s with the big gun.

I might have broke 20 birds once or twice as my best scores with the .410, while most of the other guys were lucky if they broke 10.  My average score with the 12 was low 20’s, and about mid-teens with the .410.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Yeah!! That .410 looks alot like my Grandfathers!! What year was yours again? I think his was 1930s , maybe; definitely was an older model gun.  

I’m thinking it is around 1924.  I looked it up once by S/N.  It was a special model made for youth trap shooting.   It’s in decent shape, with the only noticeable defect being the opening break lever has been repaired by braising.  

It’s a very good shooter.  I can’t recall ever missing a squirrel with it, and I also took a few rabbits with it.  I definitely missed some clay birds, but not as many as I broke.  I don’t think it will take 3” shells.  I did tote it on a spring Turkey hunt once because it handles great in a blind, being so short.   I wouldn’t shoot further than 20 yards at one of those, with 2-1/2” lead #4’s.   

If I could find some of those new TSS #9’s in 2-1/2”, I might try that again.  The area around my in-laws place, up in the northern zone, seems to be rather infested with turkeys this year.  

• Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 11:46 AM, wolc123 said:

One day after school, I was over there after the raiding squirrels and I shot one up near the top of the tree.  My shot was aimed in a safe direction (away from the road), but the squirrel bounced around a bit on its fall, and landed right on that little stand, between baskets of produce, while there was a customer there shopping.  

I remember the old woman telling the somewhat shell shocked customer: “he’s been after that one for a long time”.  

Wolc , I'm disappointed . I was waiting to hear that the customer asked " How much for the fresh squirrel ? " and the lady telling the customer " Thats a big one ! Gotta get at least $5 for it being big and a fresh drop right from the squirrel tree " :lol:

A few weeks back I tried to buy a box of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo for my new rifle, the price was decent, problem was they only had one person trained and qualified to do the ammo background check horse shit, and he was not going to be at work until late in the afternoon. I bought a box somewhere else to get me started, thank goodness I handload.

Al