Can't we all get along?

upstate

oh, my formal complaint was regarding the feeder and a hunting stand within 30 yards. 

I told the DEC I would be following up on his report. 

I expect that every time I hunt this property this year me and anyone in my party will be checked 

For license, tags, loaded weapons, pistol permit (he only asked for that once). 

I would also anticipate traffic stops. I am more than ready and hope this guy knows he's now being scrutinized.

All over deer... unbelievable.  

how do you know there's a stand within 30 yards of a feeder, did you go on his property and find it? earlier you just claimed to be able to hear it go off..........gotta suck to have something like this consume you to the point of it becoming an obsession.

• Like 1

What is it with this site...Any time a person describes some of the real world Bull shit that happens...due to other ppls crazy need to bag a BIG buck at all cost...they are looked as being/having the problem when they defend them selves the best they can? Worse they are some how at fault!

One more time...Just because you have not been on the receiving end of some of the crazies out there and the things they do...Does not mean they don't exist or these things don't happen...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

how do you know there's a stand within 30 yards of a feeder, did you go on his property and find it? earlier you just claimed to be able to hear it go off..........gotta suck to have something like this consume you to the point of it becoming an obsession.

I have seen him in the stand and since my father in law used to have one of those feeders I can deduce just how far way it is from that stand by how far away it is from me. Trust me, its not very far, I forget about it and it makes me jump when it goes off. 

It does suck, bad enough that I  left last night for the weekend, because I know myself. This guy is a problem that I can't really win at now, can I? Let's see this guy has:

complained to leasing company, multiple times about us and was told by leasing company they are doing nothing wrong. 

Has told the neighbors he wants that land, has tried repeatedly to buy it. Told someone else that there "is no way in hell I will allow them to lease that land next year, it's mine." 

has a history (and was reprimanded and demoted for doing this in past) of harassing law abiding people since he is employed in law enforcement.  Don't think it doesn't happen, it does and you don't want to be on the bad side of this. 

has run my plates and searched my records , including pistol permits, without justification which is a violation of dept. policy  (I have friends higher up in law enforcement) 

has filed blatantly false reports to the DEC about deer we've taken. 

We've done nothing but try and be good neighbors, seriously. No one has ever gone on his land, not even to pursue. We have a bow stand near the line. That's it.  I have never leased land before and before I do again I will speak with EVERY single neighbor there. It really only takes one A$$hole to ruin it for everyone.  

We do not violate any laws, including trespass, anywhere on that hill. 

Like I said, I'm out, he wins, cause I can't do this kinda crap. I just want to be left alone and hunt. I may be looking to buy land with friends. We have a ton of work in that place. We pretty much have it figured out now and it kills me to no end to have to let it go. 

so as a parting gift I am considering the following for the last weekend of gun: 

Skeet contest

target practice with legal AR-15 , maybe 1200 rounds with tracers? 

Bonfire

4 wheeler - snowmobiles races. 

anyone in? 

Edited by upstate

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what an interesting turn of events. 

I spoke with the leasing company and this guy has been a problem since they bought the property. I told them that the lease is worthless to me. The guy has told the neighbors we were poachers and that we got tickets (one of us did, we had a skinned deer hung up and the tag was not on the deer and while the month was blacked out, the day was not). The ticket will get dismissed according to the DA's office. 

Funny thing is I can't hear the feeder any more. We got a doe yesterday and like clockwork here comes DEC guy and I told him to tell deputy boy we are getting a reduced rate on the lease for getting a multi-year lease (I lied) and that he did great work tipping off a fellow LEO that we were onto his baiting. I also told DEC guy that this deputy was a special kind of scum bag who thinks he's above the law and that's what gives the general public such a horrible view of the Police. 

We've got a huge buck that beds either on our property or his we will take (LEGALLY) this week.  We've seen him 3 times since last week. I'm certain that softy is in bed today listening to the rain. 

I have always wondered why hunters like to put their stands on the border line of their property... I would think stand placement would be determined based on deer movement and the likelihood of seeing deer in an area... I find it hard to believe that every border of every property is the best stand site... especially if all the properties involved are completely wooded... the whole stand on my border seems to be the biggest complaint on here when it comes to neighbor disputes... I'm curious if all the borders were moved 300 feet in any direction just as a test... would the hunters move their stands to the new border location? I'm not much of a stand hunter, but I think I'm missing something on the border stand logic.

I seriously don't care if stands are lined up every 20 feet on the line. Don't hunt my land and we're fine. Hunt my land and I will enforce posted signs. Shoot a deer on your property and it comes on mine, please get it. 

Do I want someone up my ass when I'm in a tree stand? No. However, I have had much success with people that thought that them being there would be change my hunting tactics. 

Is it disappointing to have get up at 4 AM opening day and get to your stad at 5:45 so you're all settled in at legal shooting only to have a guy put on a drive to your stand when he comes out at dawn's twilight? Yeah, really disappointing. Put it is what it is. 

Well I explained my reasons pretty clearly....

I'm sure in some cases the border may be the best stand site... but I think you missed my point... this border stand issue seems to be a common theme when we are talking about adjoining property owners not getting along... my point was.. if you found out the border was wrong and was actually 100's of yards away would you move your stand to the new border just because? As far as deer are concerned there are no borders... so I don't believe that every border is the ideal spot for a stand site... although I do realize that many adjoining properties, because of how the land is used have good edge at the borders which could be a reason why it is a good stand site.. maybe that's why hunters like property border stands... just seems to me that's the reason why lots of hunters don't see deer... they have a terrible stand site because they think they need to be on the border when maybe the best site is in the middle of the property. I'm just trying to understand the whole "put a stand on the property border" thing that seems to be a common thing.

For the first time in my entire hunting life I had to miss opening day, and in fact the entire deer season. I have had to live the experience through this site and all of you. While It broke my heart to not be there, some of the BS that comes with hunting I was fine to be away from. This particular topic however I did not escape and I will chime in.

My brother in law and nephews had full reign over my place, stands, and even my house while I was away. What happens at 4 am on opening day while I'm sad in bed in Alaska (4 hour time difference) instead of sitting in my favorite deer stand as I'm missing deer season opening day breaking my 39 season run?

I get called by BIL telling me that my neighbors had placed stands just over my fence line and were not only facing into my property, but were pissed at him for driving my four wheeler along the perimeter trail on my property, to help recover another neighbors deer for him after being called for help. So this touch hole not only was hunting my property, but had the gall to then be upset for the four wheeler possibly screwing up his chances of shooting a deer off my property. People who feel the need to antagonize others to get their rocks off are not firing on all cylinders! It reminds me of cows sticking their heads through the fence to eat grass when they have an entire field of green grass behind them. I loath people who feel so desperate to kill a deer, or keep somebody else from getting "my deer" that they set up on top of other people. 

Much to the bad fortune of my neighbors; I will thankfully have my entire deer season off next year as it has already been approved. I will then resume my long standing rule. If you shoot a deer from a stand on the fence line you will NEVER recover it! I will gut, tag and give to the first needy local family I find. I have actually done it in the past, and will again if the opportunity presents. I don't even care if it is a record book buck. I don't want a deer somebody else killed hanging on my wall.  I'll video me sticking the rack in a table vise and cut the damned thing in a pile of one inch pieces!!

Again, people who march through life finding ways to intentionally cause trouble or put others safety at risk, have a screw loose and should not be surprised and/or piss and moan when the tables get turned on them!

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 1

I have always wondered why hunters like to put their stands on the border line of their property... I would think stand placement would be determined based on deer movement and the likelihood of seeing deer in an area... I find it hard to believe that every border of every property is the best stand site... especially if all the properties involved are completely wooded... the whole stand on my border seems to be the biggest complaint on here when it comes to neighbor disputes... I'm curious if all the borders were moved 300 feet in any direction just as a test... would the hunters move their stands to the new border location? I'm not much of a stand hunter, but I think I'm missing something on the border stand logic.

I think it is the "grass is greener on the other side " syndrome. The same reason that when fishing from shore, you wish you had a boat. Get out on the water with a boat and

drift the shoreline casting to within feet of the bank.. Or go to a large chunk of state land and walk 5 miles to the rd on the other side trying to get away from the people hunting

close ..   I have never done any of these things , of coarse...lol

• Like 1

Well..I gave my reasons so enough said on that...and not a bad thing if everyone would have self control and not shot off your land....I'd rather be facing the center of my place shooting ...where deer are farther away from crossing the line in a death run...then in the center shooting at deer near the line and likely crossing over in the run.

I can see your point, but sooner or later there will be a deer that won't want to cross back into their property and they won't be able to resist that shot over into your property. I'm sure the same would happen if you or I saw something on their property. The temptations can be very difficult to overcome in hunting, so for me at least, it's best to stay away from the places where I will be tempted. I guess there might be some value to the Lord prayer in hunting too, with the passage "lead us not into temptation". Of course plenty of hunters would then be praising the Lord and saying their Haleluiah's for tempting them to shoot into the neighboring property if it resulted in a trophy buck on the ground, so go figure! LOL

Bull.

I've had deer walking the edge of posted signs and always been able to resist the urge, because the urge wasn't there.

Under my breath I may be going... Step over.. Step over... Come on.... Oh you fxggff!

What you're truly saying is that YOU cannot resist the urge so they can't either.

For the record I do have stands on the edge, I have killed out of in gun and bow, all on my own property. The occasional deer that skirts their side is normally a buck trying to sneak through, never once would I even consider it fair game.

I have always wondered why hunters like to put their stands on the border line of their property... I would think stand placement would be determined based on deer movement and the likelihood of seeing deer in an area... I find it hard to believe that every border of every property is the best stand site... especially if all the properties involved are completely wooded... the whole stand on my border seems to be the biggest complaint on here when it comes to neighbor disputes... I'm curious if all the borders were moved 300 feet in any direction just as a test... would the hunters move their stands to the new border location? I'm not much of a stand hunter, but I think I'm missing something on the border stand logic.

In an agricultural situation deer often move down the edges of the fields, hugging the treeline. Does especially on my property at least. The treeline is often close to the property line.

In an agricultural situation deer often move down the edges of the fields, hugging the treeline. Does especially on my property at least. The treeline is often close to the property line.

Yeah I can understand that... I was mainly referring to all wooded pieces...

Bull.

I've had deer walking the edge of posted signs and always been able to resist the urge, because the urge wasn't there.

Under my breath I may be going... Step over.. Step over... Come on.... Oh you fxggff!

What you're truly saying is that YOU cannot resist the urge so they can't either.

For the record I do have stands on the edge, I have killed out of in gun and bow, all on my own property. The occasional deer that skirts their side is normally a buck trying to sneak through, never once would I even consider it fair game.

Oh, I can resist way better than many hunters I've come across. Your day is coming too, if it hasn't already. If you are telling us that you would let that deer that is standing 10 feet into the neighboring property walk on the last day of an otherwise deer less season you are way more full of it than I am. I am just describing typical human nature, while you somehow think that it can never apply to you.

I've let a huge deer go on the last day of ml because legal time was done. I've not shot a 10pt this year because he was across the line, and by the time he was on my property all I had was an anus shot as he entered a draw. I let a nice buck go three years ago during bow because the only shot I had occurred as he crossed the line. Fact of the matter is I don't need one deer bad enough to risk my hunting license or neighbor relations.

I'm saying that to say people should not have a stand on a property line due to not being able to resist temptation is more a statement that you should not do it. I have a stand on a property line because the doe travel my edge and its a nice spot for doe. I think you were just generalizing based on your own behavior in the situation.

My stands that are near property lines are for the reasons described by others, the deer travel those routes AND in one case there's only ONE tree I can get a stand on within 100 yards on my property.

The problem I have is that the one guy pissed and moaned to EVERYONE but me. Would not return my call even when I left a note on his door. His son removed market tape and a stand FROM MY LAND! Close to the line but never on his property, facing my property. My woods were logged so the they travel the edges. I had stands further in and watched for an entire season and moved the stand just before gun. Since I never went on his land I had ZERO idea where his stands were but lo and behold, they're real close to mine.... hmmmmm it's ok for him but not me? Why? 

His posted signs are "ASK FIRST" and I have for 2 years wanted to hit one on my land and have it go there just so he has to talk with me. 

His antics are tiresome and sneaky. Now that I know what he'll stoop to I can plan accordingly. 

This guy is law enforcement and his seriously despised by his neighbors and even his own brother said, "He's always been an A$$hole" When you start getting the DEC involved with a harassment program his brother appears to be onto something. If we're breaking the law and he's aware of it he can certainly do exactly what the DEC does and check us out, but no, he makes "confidential tips" and calls someone else. When this guy baits!!! Does DEC charge him? No. They trump up a improperly tagged deer charge that DEC says, "you can just plead not guilty" and my buddy is like THAT'S A $250 ticket! He wont show up in court and it'll get dismissed.  

I don't take this stuff lightly, the harassment and good neighbor relations. Not sure they're repairable at this point.