Would You Support a Blaze Orange Compromise?

wildcat junkie

Where did I say it would be illegal to set up before sunrise of leave after sunset? I'm only saying that if you were caught in your stand with a loaded gun after hours you could be written a ticket & good luck with the judge. If you admitted to having a loaded gun sitting on stand after sundown during deer season I don't think your argumants would hold up in court.

Me personaly I don't care one way or the other. It's none of my business. If you are hunting after sundown you know it.

That's all that matters unless you get caught. Then there may be consiqueces.

Not the same thing, but I was in court fror traffic ticket when a guy was there answering a loaded gun in the vehicle charge. That's a misdemeanor, not a violation. A whole nuther ball of wax. Yes they had to "prove" the case, but he had to spend the time to go to court & it was his word against the DEC officer. the judge didn't throw it out.

The point is you might still have to take the time to go to court & if it's your word against the LEO, good luck with that.

See above.

You are 100% wrong on this, sorry. Its a completely different deal than an officer finding someone with a loaded gun in their vehicle.

With Coyote, Fox, Raccoon, and a few other seasons open where it is 100% legal to hunt at night, the officer would have to prove you of shot or tried to shoot a deer. Nevermind the FACT that it is not illegal to posess a loaded weapon at night. It is only illegal to kill a game animal out of season or outside of the regulations.

Let's clear some things up.

I do not advocate the mandatory use of blaze orange with things the way they are now. I require blaze orange for those that hunt my property for my own concerns over their safety as well as liability concerns. I don't shoot at brown spots W/O posutively identifyig them as deer. As a matter of fact I have (finally) reached a point where just any legal buck won't do so I take the time to size up the rack. I don't have control over what others do or what a potential tresspasser might do.

Regardless of the time of day, I don't condemn anyone for taking an ethical shot at a deer as long as there is adequate shooting light for positively indentifying the taget & making a clean shot with iron sights which can be a problem in low light even when the target is identified.  That is between you & your conscience.

I think most people in the Northcountry tend to stretch the hunting hours as there usually plenty of ethical shooting light before & beyond the legal limits of sunrise & sunset. If I sit outdoors durin g gun season at sundown when deer are moving I will hear a lot more shots in the 30 minutes after sundown than before. It is happening, it's ilegal & that is unfortunate. 

Unfortunately that is breaking the law & I think that law should be changed. I don't want to break the law to hunt during the most productive times on my lightly pressure property and I think that hunters that do "stretch" the hours feel the same way. The laws as they are now are making outlaws out of many otherwise ethical hunters.

IF the DEC would extend those hours for 30 minutes either way of sunrise & sunset I don't think it would make much difference in accident rates as stretching the hours is fairly widespread already in some places. Indeed, a good portion of the accidents that already occur are due to that factor. I do think that blaze orange would significantly increase the safety factor for low light conditions as it does stand out in low light even more than in daylight.

Here's the potential problem. If hours were extended, the 1st time a fatality occured even 1 minute past sundown the DEC would again restrict the hours.

If blaze orange was included in those extended hours it would, as I stated above, significantly reduce the chances of a fatality & reduce the chance of the DEC again restricting hunting hours..

• Like 1

Some people love the online battles lol. Trust me. This site is great but leads to BS so much. And theres always a few that agree with each other no matter what and will flood you with quotes and rants. They know it all so its not worth your time I would just move on to a better topic/thread.

I know what the law says about carrying guns, and what the hunting regs are concerning it. I hunt deer. I hunt coyotes and fox both day and night. I carry a handgun quite often. If I didnt know the laws concerning those things, Id honestly have no business doing any of it. If that makes me a "know it all", then so be it. Id rather know the rules than be a know nothing in the back of a police car.

You are 100% wrong on this, sorry. Its a completely different deal than an officer finding someone with a loaded gun in their vehicle.

With Coyote, Fox, Raccoon, and a few other seasons open where it is 100% legal to hunt at night, the officer would have to prove you of shot or tried to shoot a deer. Nevermind the FACT that it is not illegal to posess a loaded weapon at night. It is only illegal to kill a game animal out of season or outside of the regulations.

How am I wrong. 1st of all, I stated it was a different situation. I also stated that the point was that if a ticket was issued & it most likely would be, you would still have to show up in court & the burden of proof would be no different than a traffic ticket for the DEC officer. How many traffic tickets do yu thonk are beaten on the dendants testimony?

Edited by wildcat junkie

How am I wrong. 1st of all, I stated it was a different situation. I also stated that the point was that if a ticket was issued & it most likely would be, you would still have to show up in court & the burden of proof would be no different than a traffic ticket for the DEC officer. How many traffic tickets do yu thonk are beaten on the dendants testimony?

but want to use the traffic ticket analogy it would be getting a ticket for speeding while you are sitting in a car in a parking lot with the engine off. A traffic ticket is issued with the offense being observed by the officer. There is no offense to be in the woods with a loaded weapon.    

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

Ever hear of "discussion"? That's when "mature" people air differing views. It is you that are making judgments concerning my judgement, lack of common sense & mental state because I don't agree with you, not me. I am merely pointing out your (obvious) arrogance in doing so. So now I'm atacking you?

If you can't discuss differing viewpoints with the adults, perhaps you should refrain. It would seem that by tour own standards you might be the one that's "nuts".

As far as missing things? I could make a whole list of points I have raised that you refuse to discuss.

Your posts are longer relevant so I'm done responding to your childish r

Ok so here is the problem.  You are not having discussions, you are telling everyone who does not believe as you do that hey are wrong. You say the same thing over and over, so  of course I would quit responding the the same thing several times.  You say those who do not believe as you do are well lets just say not as smart as you.  Plus when proven wrong or do not like what you hear, you attack and say I am no longer relevant and call me childish.  That is why no one tales you seriously.  Aren't you the guy who last year was on here asking for someone to come and help maintain your property for hunting?  I may be mistaken, but I think it was you.  With all the rules you have and your obvious control issues, I bet there was a long line of guys waiting to do that.  

Let's clear some things up.

I do not advocate the mandatory use of blaze orange with things the way they are now. I require blaze orange for those that hunt my property for my own concerns over their safety as well as liability concerns. I don't shoot at brown spots W/O posutively identifyig them as deer. As a matter of fact I have (finally) reached a point where just any legal buck won't do so I take the time to size up the rack. I don't have control over what others do or what a potential tresspasser might do.

Regardless of the time of day, I don't condemn anyone for taking an ethical shot at a deer as long as there is adequate shooting light for positively indentifying the taget & making a clean shot with iron sights which can be a problem in low light even when the target is identified.  That is between you & your conscience.

I think most people in the Northcountry tend to stretch the hunting hours as there usually plenty of ethical shooting light before & beyond the legal limits of sunrise & sunset. If I sit outdoors durin g gun season at sundown when deer are moving I will hear a lot more shots in the 30 minutes after sundown than before. It is happening, it's ilegal & that is unfortunate. 

Unfortunately that is breaking the law & I think that law should be changed. I don't want to break the law to hunt during the most productive times on my lightly pressure property and I think that hunters that do "stretch" the hours feel the same way. The laws as they are now are making outlaws out of many otherwise ethical hunters.

IF the DEC would extend those hours for 30 minutes either way of sunrise & sunset I don't think it would make much difference in accident rates as stretching the hours is fairly widespread already in some places. Indeed, a good portion of the accidents that already occur are due to that factor. I do think that blaze orange would significantly increase the safety factor for low light conditions as it does stand out in low light even more than in daylight.

Here's the potential problem. If hours were extended, the 1st time a fatality occured even 1 minute past sundown the DEC would again restrict the hours.

If blaze orange was included in those extended hours it would, as I stated above, significantly reduce the chances of a fatality & reduce the chance of the DEC again restricting hunting hours..

I would like to see the stats that say it would significantly reduce the chances.  If light is so low, you need to use BO to see someone, light is too low to be shooting.

I would like to see the stats that say it would significantly reduce the chances. If light is so low, you need to use BO to see someone, light is too low to be shooting.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9186.html

Hunter orange prevents other hunters from mistaking a person for an animal, or shooting in your direction.

Hunters who wear hunter orange are seven times less likely to be shot. For example, during the past ten years, not one person who was wearing hunter orange was mistaken for game and killed in New York. On the contrary, big game hunters who were involved in firearm related incidents were not wearing hunter orange.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/26/nyregion/father-fatally-shoots-son-while-deer-hunting-then-kills-himself.html

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

Also no one should ever be mistaken for game.  the shooter obviously did not clearly identify their target.  As I have said all BO does is train the hunter no BO it must be shootable.  

"As I have said all BO does is train the hunter no BO it must be shootable."

That's Bull, right there.

seasoned A$$hole

Hahaha, I knew it wouldn't take much to get to your peanut brain. My two words directed at no one gets em all feeling guilty your so gullible bud !!!!!!!!

And show me a thread were I have been a "Asshole" O thats right you can't. I could go and quote you in tons of threads were all you do is cry and start feeding of your feelings.

Does your face get all red and stuff when you type lol. Relax bigtimer. Put your big boys pants on and act like a grown up stop calling people names and getting all butthurt I didn't quote you calling you a crook you just felt guilty or what not and starting your non-sense. Piss off and grow up dude really.

Edited by HuntOrBeHunted
  • Like 1

Look guys, this thread is about LAWS!  

Do we need laws to make us wear BO, or use seat belts, or wear a motorcycle helmet, or stop smoking, or stop drinking (they actually tried that), or stop drugs, or anything else we know is bad for us?  

Do we want a big brother nanny state that watches over us and protects us from OURSELVES with threats of fines and jail?

If the activity has no ability to harm anyone other than one's self, do we want the government telling us we can't do it?

I think not.  You may think so, but if you do, you better think a lot more.  You are inviting disaster on all of your rights and freedoms.

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 1

Hahaha I knew it wouldn't take much to get to your peanut brain. My two words directed at no one gets em all feeling guilty haha your so gullible bud !!!!!!!!

Nah...you are just predictable. No guilt here. I understand the law. Why not take some of you own advice and try to contribute to a discussion. Let me see If I can get the mods. to bump up the size of files we can share. Will be easier for you if we can post pictures.

Nah...you are just predictable. No guilt here. I understand the law. Why not take some of you own advice and try to contribute to a discussion. Let me see If I can get the mods. to bump up the size of files we can share. Will be easier for you if we can post pictures.

I like pictures. Are you going to need help completing that giant task genius.

I guess you couldn't figure it out lol ???

Here, here ill even start for ya.

moron hinting.bmp

You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer seasons.

Copied and pasted from dec regs. You can not have your gun loaded after sunset and claim you are hunting anything other then deer. It is under furbearer hunting regs. Know the regs and stay out of trouble.

As for orange ? You do not have to be mistaken as a deer to be shot. The hunter does not need to be aiming at you for you to be shot or a round go by your head. If you are a distance away and a deer is between you and the one shooting, that person may not see you if you are 100 yards off and in camo. They shoot and you are in line with what they know to 100% be a deer guess what could happen. Thinking another person has to think you are a deer and be aiming at you is ignorant. I look for guys in camo and orange, HOWEVER just because I do not see someone in camo does not mean they are not there. If everyone wore orange no orange would mean no hunter in your line of fire. Not seeing camo just means there might not be someone hideing in the brush 75 or 100 yards the other side of your target even if you are sure of what you are shooting and have a clear unmistakeable shot.

Wear orange and make sure your gun is unloaded after hours and you will stay safe and out of trouble.

• Like 2

Hahaha you are a dope! You posted a pic that people have to download to see instead of an actual pic. Lol lol lol lol!!!!!

I used lol and extra ! So you would understand by the way. And Culvers joke totally went over your head, no surprise.

Come on doe a download has you all messed up. Talking about going over someones head. Did you feel the need to help him out to. Some real freindship kinda thing? So nice.

I guess ill try again you guys are to much fun.