Can't close the deal

YFKI1983

Normally I would be happy with the season I had. I hunted 21 days between bow and gun which i think is alot for someone who lives in NYC. I saw a ton of game. Turkeys all over the place, Doe or small bucks (spikes, 5 point, 4 point) and 1 day had an encounter with a monster on my property but it was during bow season and he stayed 40 yards out, never in a clear enough spot for me to shoot. I ended up taking doe and filling the freezer which im happy about but I feel that since I can't get a buck on the wall that I just suck.

Been deer hunting since Im 17, Im 31 and still dont have 1 on the wall. My first year I had someone trespass and take a big 8 from the stand I was hunting, my father didnt let me hunt from a stand that day because it was about 40 mph wind. Next day I see a guy pile and a DEC officer on the property because our neighbor called them when he saw someone drag the deer out. nothing good for about 6 or 7 years after that (shot smaller bucks and does) which I was happy with at the time. I have seen 3 beauties the last 4 years but always bow season and never in range. Its like they know when I have my gun in my hand.

I put in an acre food plot on the property or brassica/clover. They were hitting it hard in early October, then dissappeared and then started using it again last week when the snow and ice came.  I hunted the plot last saturday evening and then Friday evening, saw 3 does and a 5 point on saturday and a 3 point the next friday. Saturday night I was going to hunt it but decided to go try out another property instead and my uncle ends up seeing an 8 point in the plot. (didnt shoot because the shot was a bit far for him as he doesn't use a scope). I think he hunted about 150 hours less than me this season and saw an 8 point lol

Not mad that he saw one, I wish he would of gotten it but I cant believe how much luck is involved. Im excited for next year and depressed at the same time..

OK. sorry for whining like a 12 year old girl. Im done. Good day :rolleyes:

took me 15 years to get a buck, but some of those years I did not put a ton of time or effort into it, however that 1st buck was a beautiful 8 pointer which I shot w/ my dad at my side, something I'll never forget.

Now I put a ton of time and effort and I agree w/ LI outdoorsman and agree with his % of 10/10/80,  but to me it's also about being out in the field doing what you enjoy. Getting a buck is icing on the cake, be patient it will happen.

Enjoy

I know what your feeling....I hunt nearly every day...and if you saw the summer&fall buck pics I've posted...you'd be wondering why I haven't tore my hair out yet....same with last year's pics...this year is the first year even doe disappeared

I see it as a chess game....their winning at the moment...lol

completely agree, i too have put around 20 full days of hunting in with only seeing a few small bucks that i passed and took one doe and passed up several other opportunities.  I as well work in NYC so it is hard to do anything during the week, but they said said putting a buck on the ground is an added bonus to hunting, time spent a field and enjoying it with family and friends is what really counts, and putting a doe in the freezer to fill your stomach. 

• Like 1

10% being in the right place

10% being in the right place at the right time

80% luck

dont let anyone tell u different

Enjoy the rest of your season sounded like a fun one so far

X2 , Hunted with someone that was a Buck magnet, where ever we went to hunt he would have a buck walk up to him. Hang in there your luck might change.

Ever hear the song Night Moves that is what is going on by me now, Pictures on every cam at Night , does and bucks. See very few during the day.

• Like 1

I have a tri-pod stand that looks over a 15 acre thicket that was logged of mature white pines in 1999. It still has some mature hardwoods & pines that are maturing. The brush has grown THICK & it is laced with deer trails. There are several shooting lane that run out from it like spokes on a wheel.

Most deer appear anywhere from 75 to 250yds from the stand, most of them at the longer distances. My rifle is capable of hitting a 6" circle at any of those ranges with a dead center hold. I can enter & exit the stand quietly W/O being noticed.

That set-up allows me to hunt that stand continuously without tipping off the deer as long as I don't hunt it when the wind is out of the East. The more time you spend in the same spot, as long as you aren't spooking the deer, the more your odds of success increase. Sooner or later that buck will appear if he is working the area. I usually go no longer than 3 days between sighting bucks, about once every 2 weeks or so I see more mature bucks. About once every 5 years I see a wall hanger which in my a

rea is a 3 1/2 year old or older 8-point that scores 100" or better.

If you had stuck it out in those 2 instances you cited, you might have scored.

Thanks everyone. I guess that's why it's called hunting! Til next year..

An oportunity to shoot a mature buck only lasts a few seconnds & you never know when it will happen. Most likely when you least expect it.

The bucks are in the woods 100% of the time. The more time you spend in the woods, the more likely it is that you will cross paths.. There are 4 days left in the regular deer season. Why are you giving up so soon?

Most of the does have been bred & the bucks are back on the prowl looking for one last shot at breeding. Some of the yearling does are getting close to their 1st eustrous. It ain't over yet.

Edited by wildcat junkie

10% being in the right place

10% being in the right place at the right time

80% luck

dont let anyone tell u different

Enjoy the rest of your season sounded like a fun one so far

Luck is when preperation meets oportunity.

Don't let anyone tell you any different.

You have to be out there to get the opportunity. Usually, you must be prepared to take advantage of the opportunity in a few fleeting seconds. Be alert, be ready!

Took me 13 years to get a buck big enough for the wall.take all the Deer you can if you get one in snow backtracking it will show you where it came from and what it was doing before you got it. Note weather and food sources. The more you know about the game you persue the better chance you have of being in right spot right time. That was best advice I got in 1995 and it works. Now every frew years I stumble into a good one,while I have friends who are still waiting 30 plus years for their wall hanger.

Edited by G-Man