Hornandy SST

mattman77

Switched to these from power belts. Drilled a doe at thirty yards slightly quartering to. It flipped and died instantly. Never have seen anything like it. Shooting nef sidekick and 2 pyro pellets. These are the new ones with the flex tip.

Edited by mattman77

SST's are not a rapid expanding bullet even when pushed fast. In a ML or large caliber pistol cartridge expansion isn't necessary. I shoot the 300gn over a max charge of BH209 because I know the bullet will go from front to back, back to front or side to side of any white tail.

Buckmaster, was the 300 a typo?

Edit,. Nevermind I read that wrong. I didn't read as the bullet weight over a max charge. I read it as a powder charge 300 gn over the max. My mistake.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

My nef heritage , same as a nef sidekick but camo and stainless loves the 300/350gr hornady fpb. You might want to try some 460 gr no excuses conicals too. Hopefully you have an upgraded breech plug and your not dealing with the Orange primer carriers.

I do like the sst but I use deep curls when using sabots. The sst is not new, are you sure they were not the ftx ?

Edited by sbuff

NEF heritage is the same as the sidekick buts it was a run made for cabelas with camo synthetic stock and stainless barel. I think I got mine in 2004 but I would need to check to be sure.

There were a bunch of on line muzzleloader hunters including myself who tested a plug that enabled you to use just the bare primer on the nef line of muzzle loaders. A company in Michigan and a guy named nick Allen were a huge part of the creation of it. You can 100% ignite bh209,t7,prydodex,Swiss,goes, or shockeys powder with no hang fires .You will get zero blow back as there is a lowes number 60 metric O ring in place in the primer pocket.

I will try to post some more information for you with pics and address when I get time. It's a far better choice from the Orange carriers , and yes less water can get to it.

Steve

I use them in both my .50 cal ML T/C Omega with 100 grains 777, and my 12 gauge shotgun (2-3/4").  Accuracy is great from each.   They have always performed excellent inside the deer, except for one time I pushed the range limit too far with the (ML) at 175 yards, and there was insufficient velocity left for proper expansion.  That 12 gauge shotgun sabot has plenty of energy to do the job there, but 163 is my longest with that.  I would have no problem using it at 175 yard with the shotgun as long as the other conditions were right (wind, rest, still, etc.)  That long ML shot may have hit just about where I aimed, at the quartering away buck, but he showed no sign of a hit at the shot.   There was no blood or hair at all, and I followed the tracks for about 400 yards on fresh snow, until I lost the trail, and I wrongly assumed a miss (anybody out there perfect?).   The crows helped me find him about a week later, about 100 yards from where I lost the trail, in some very heavy cover, half eaten by coyotes.   

I have limited that ML combo to under 150 yards, from then on where it has done well every time, putting the deer down in its tracks about 1/2 the time, and down within 50 yards the other half, most shot center-lung.  That lost buck was one of two deer that I was not able to recover in about 30 years of hunting.   That one taught me the importance on knowing the range limitation of your weapon/ammo combo.  I did stumble a bit there this year with the crossbow, due to a slight error in range estimation, but I was fortunately blessed with a low hit (to the heart) in just about the only spot at 60 yd that could drop the buck quick with such little penetration (8") from my little 135 lb draw, 300 fps crossbow. 

I am not sure how the SST does on the shoulder blade, as I have always shot behind, being a meat-driven hunter, and the thru-the-ribcage shot takes out very little useful meat.  I know lots of the Antler-driven "trophy-hunting" folks like the shoulder blade shot as they usually prefer the instant drop with little care for lost meat.   It would be interesting to hear how the SST does on those bone-crushing shots.           

« previous next »

PRINT

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down

Author Topic: Carrierless 209 Breech Plug for Huntsman/Sidekick, Blackhorn 209 Compatable!

Carrierless 209 Breech Plug for Huntsman/Sidekick, Blackhorn 209 Compatable!

« on: February 05, 2009, 10:06:45 am »

This post will be a work in progress, I will add new information as I go along so check back for updates. I am really excited about this plug, and figured there would be several others that would want them too. This is a must, if you want to shoot Blackhorn 209 reliably out ot the Huntsman/Sidekick.

Finally, a one piece carrierless 209 breech plug for the H&R/NEF Huntsman/Sidekick. This breech plug headspaces off the rim of the 209 primer similar to the Hubbard plug. It is easily installed/removed with a ½” socket or nut driver for the hex head. Only 5/8” plugs are available presently, but there is a possibility that they may look into the 7/8” plugs if these do well, and I would think demand would drive their decision.

I have had one of these pre-production plugs for about a week now. My testing has been limited to function only at this point, as I have only shot it into spots on my snow covered berm from my garage. My Leupold Ultimate Slam scope has only been eye-ball bore sighted, but is very close.

My function testing was conducted with Federal 209A primers, 80 grains Blackhorn 209, and a T/C Cheap Shot. I had instant ignition every time. They have done testing with standard Winchester and Remington Kleanbore primers, 85 grains 777, and a 300 grain Hornady saboted bullet.

Although my testing has been limited at this time, I will be doing some accuracy testing as soon as time and weather permits. It was minus 8 F here last night, and the wind chill has been unbearable for shooting lately.

I have made a couple suggestions, and both were incorporated into the production plug. One was clean up some tooling marks that were machined into the top of the plug while cutting the hex head, the other was a simple o-ring option in the bottom of the pocket. This shows me they are willing to work with us, and aim to please. These breech plugs were machined on a CNC Lathe, and they have made a limited run at this time, so if you want one of these, you might not want to drag your feet to long. They have advised me that the price will be $28.50 shipped in the U.S., I think that is very reasonable considering they had to program the CNC. My Hubbard plug cost $35, and this one is far better and easier to clean being one piece IMO.

With my particular rifle, I fired a Federal 209A, one of if not the hottest 209's out there, it left some soot on the standing breech. First I was trying to figure out a shim, but I think I found the perfect alternative. I did this same exact thing with my Hubbard plug. I inserted an o-ring into the bottom of the primer pocket, this filled the gap in front of the primer, gave me about .015" crushable length between the primer rim and the plug, and allowed me to headspace off the front of the primer. This acts as a gasket and keeps the primer fouling where it should be, and blowback was almost non-existant.

These are all Federal 209A primers, need the hottest for Blackhorn 209. These were fired with no powder to check for seal. Left, Unfired; Middle, Fired with my o-ring mod (approximate measurements, O.D. .285", I.D. .145", Thickness .070"); right, headspacing off the rim (have a slight couple thousandths gap when locked up tight). The o-ring is a compression fit, but works better that way and stays put until you want to remove it for cleaning.

I also did a little unscientific test to check the primer pressure (no powder) going through the barrel with and without the o-ring. The muzzle was approximately 12" from the snow when fired. The one on the left is with the o-ring, the one on the right without.

This is a comparison of the standard NEF plug with primer carrier and the carrierles 209 plug.

This is the first 3 Federal 209A primers after my function test using the o-ring modification with 80 grains BH209 and the T/C Cheap Shot. Notice how clean they are, just a hint of smoke/soot on the standing breech. Two of the primer needed a little coaxing to remove, the other came out with fingers. I have since polished the inside of the primer pocket to make it a little smoother, this should help in that matter.

O-Ring installed.

This is a pic of plug and Federal 209A primer, no o-ring.

This is a pic of plug and Federal 209A primer with o-ring installed. Notice the slight gap, giving a crushable few thousandths, to help adjust for any variances in tolerances.

Please note, that this plug can be used with or without the o-ring.

The Carrierless 209 Breech Plug for NEF Sidekick Contact information: Call 1-800-638-7986, ask for Nick, or e-mail [email protected] . Monday-Friday, open until 5:00 PM, EST. Not sure when they open, but I’m sure 9:00 AM, EST would be a safe bet.

Edited by sbuff

Mattman77 the above was taken from mml from busta , for some reason the pics didn't copy over. If you do a google search for the metrics unlimited plug for nef you will see where I got it from on modern muzzliader . Should you need anything else just pm me. But I do encourage you to get one or two as they are much better then the Orange carriers. You can also have Ben Hubbard make a much better ram rod .

Steve

SST are accurate in my ML but there's just no expansion. I rolled a doe yesterday and it pretty much knocked it down fast, the bullet pretty much went in and out through the chest and exited behind the opposite shoulder. Just no sign of expansion. Too hard of a bullet and I'm pretty much still shooting them because they are cheap, I have another box, and accurate. Will likely drop them with the next ML I buy.

Edited by phade