Got some snow shoes

irish_redneck

Have fun with them! You will quickly find a bunch of muscles you never knew you had, lol.

Keep up on the maintenance if you're really going to depend on them though. It's no fun at all slogging your way back out through chest-deep snow because of a broken binding. I say this from experience.

I really enjoy snowshoeing but I need new ones.  Mine are only about 20-25 years old and the raw hide is going south on me...............bummer.  IIRC they came from Cabela's.

Whatever I get I'll be putting my Bob Mackie rubber harnesses on them!!

A year ago tomorrow we hunted in 3+ feet of snow down in Holland NY.  It was a chore! 

I looked around for snow shoes last night for this weekends hunt but could not find any, I immediately implemented plan b which was to call my buddy and tell him to crack a PBR and drive his Cushman trackster out around the trails and past my treestand. Made the walk nice and easy and the deer used the trail he packed down, I saw no deer though.

I looked around for snow shoes last night for this weekends hunt but could not find any, I immediately implemented plan b which was to call my buddy and tell him to crack a PBR and drive his Cushman trackster out around the trails and past my treestand. Made the walk nice and easy and the deer used the trail he packed down, I saw no deer though.

PBR...........in a pinch!

No deer.........bummer!

• Like 1

I keep a pair in my car all winter, work good to go thru swamps as well as snow

Ha, many many years ago I was crossing a beaver swamp. Ice had nice coat of snow on it. Well I found out the hard way. Beavers had wore ice thin right in the middle of their run. I'm quickly in 4 feet of water wearing snowshoes. Dang scary ! We were trapping muskrats. Gloves were soaked trying to paw my way back out. I skinned 2 muskrats and wore them fur side in as mittens. Had a good  mile and a half trek back to car. I laugh now but what could have been wasn't so fun at the time

• Like 2

I think my Tubbs snowshoes are ready for wall mounting. The woods starting to crack and the lacing sstarting to look like icing. Been looking at the Redfeather aluminum ones. They have some kind of a pivot action which makes we wonder on the durability. My Tubbs are 48" which keep me treading snow pretty decently. The longest I see are 36" in the Redfeather. I'll sink, LOL.

I should dust off my snowshoes and try them out .

It really is a hoot when the conditions and the time is right.  Not that I've done THAT much snowshoeing but when I have I usually enjoyed the heck out of it.

You can do it in Amherst with the family..........

IMG_0617_zps078c423e.jpg

Or treck down to the wilds of Arcade with a friend..........

CIMG0328_zps4356843c.jpg

CIMG0331_zps532daae5.jpg

CIMG0325_zpsf44162be.jpg

You don't always need 2' of snow either.  A fire on the other hand is a necessity. :)

• Like 2