Boyds stock

Is anyone familiar with their stocks? From what I have researched they seem to be a very nice replacement for the money. I am looking at replacing my crappy savage stock on my 220 slug gun for the prairie hunter stock. I would like to have that higher cheek weld and obviously the nicer look. The gun is already a tack driver, and I'm assuming the accuracy would be better. Has anyone heard of accuracy getting worse after changing out a stock?

I bought a stock set from them for my old Savage 24.  Very nice set for the money.  The overall finish was very high quality, I had to do a small bit of fitting to make the butt fit my receiver, but other than that, its great.  A guy here at work bought a stock for his bolt action deer gun, and he said it dropped right on, no fitting required, and he loves it.

I'd say it would be a good upgrade should you decide to buy.

Yeah I think that it is relatively new. I am just worried about the accuarcy. I have bullets touching at a 100 yards with this gun. As the old saying goes if it isn't broke don't fix it. I would just really like to get that monte Carlo type stock as the scope sits high.

A lot of accuracy is in the fit between the stock & the action. No replacement stock will have a presice fit & Boyds stocks, while decent, are still what you would call a utility grade stock. An aftermarket stock with precise fit would be expensive.

I doubt if you will improve the results you cite above. You may or may not see a degradation. (if it ain't broke you can't fix it) If you are experienced at inletting, you have a good shot at duplicating the above results with a stock that will fit your pysical characteristics better..

I would think that a slug gun would have a higher comb than a wingshooting shotgun.

My 1st choice would be to mount the scope as low as possible.

Is that the case right now?

If the scope is as low as possible, a lace on leather cheek piece would raise yur cheek weld. I used one on an 870 Express that had a 1-4X20 Leupy mounted on it.

Just some options that you might consider.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about getting one for my Garand. The previous owner did an amateur job of refinishing it, and it's got a few dings in it that look like burn marks.. It shoots fine, but the stock looks like crap

A buddy of mine got a Boyd's stock for his M1 and it's a very nice walnut stock.

If a new stock is not inletted exactly for your firearm it can make it shoot worst then it does now.as the receiver too tight in one spot and too loose in another, the barrel channel too tight . Glass bedding and or pillar bedding is time consuming to do it right ( there are many vid's ) on how to do it. The cost of a pro doing it can run anywhere from $100.00 to $ 300.00 

I have thought about lowering the scope, but that is not an option due to ejection reasons. I have watched videos on bedding a stock, that doesn't seem to difficult. I may just try this and hope the accuracy remains the same.

Use some inletting black on the action & only remove wood where the black indicates a high spot. when you get black across a broad area, you have it. You can use smke from a candle to blacken the action.

Relieved the wood behind the rear tang a little to prevent splitting.

You can always go back to the old stock with a leather cheekpiece if the accuracy suffers.

I believe the stock is inleted as described on their site for that particular model. Are you saying it differs from each firearm?

Its inletted for that model, I think the concern is that if its not sufficiently precise some minor modifications (trimming) may be required.  Yes, they are all specific to a certain model.

They usually leave some wood for trimming. That allows a more precise fit in the end. Not a big deal, just expect to spend an evening or maybe even 2 getting that fit.

Take your time & you will get better results.

Let me borrow a quote from General George Patton.

He was describing pearl grips on a handgun...

" Only a pimp in a New Orleans whorehouse would use a thumbhole stock "...

hehehehe..No offense, but I like thumbhole stocks ALMOST as much as I like TC Contenders/Encores...   YEW- GLEE  !!!....<<grin>>....