bow string stop/supressor

Hunterny28

thanks for the replies guys. I have read great reviews on them improving sound and vibration issues. Almost all the newer bows have them- so they must be working well. I know some of the newer bows are shooting crazy fast and the string stop helps though. I am going to try it out and see. I am sure the reduction in noise if there is any will be beneficial. It should help with string jumping and the rare chance you can get a second shot off in a miss. The vibration issues will be one less thing to worry about while practicing to make yourself a better shooter. I am just at a cross roads if I want to add this feature to my bow or just use it to invest in a new bow.

to answer your question a string stop does many things quiets the bow string with out slowing it down (granted its only a few fps but hay) keeps the string from hitting bulky sleeves from hunting coats, some say it gives the arrow a more consistent release from the string because the string stops at brace the same all the time. having one out weighs not having one. if your bow is 10 yeas old then I would get a new one. I did ,shot my 2004 hoyt till spring and bought a 2014 hoyt and wow night and day, but if your bow is a few yrs old maybe shoot a few new ones but keep a open mind on if they really are better.

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3998265&kw=string+decelerator&origkw=string+decelerator

This SIMS Limbsaver universal string stop seems like a good deal.  Pair it with an online coupon code for an extra 25% discount and for under 25$ it could be yours.  How do I know?  I just bought one.  I will let you know how it is on my 2010 hoyt turbohawk.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well unfortunately this product is out of stock at Dick's and I had to settle for a higher price tag. I was a little slow to decide to get one for my MQ-32 Mathews. I went to FS Arrows, and it's on its way.

I installed and set it up, very easy to do. I haven't done a comparison or had someone listen while I shoot with it or without it so I cannot comment if the bow is quieter or not.  My bow was never loud that I ever noticed.  When it warms up I will test more to see if it made any difference.  The weight issue and getting in the way of your hand is a non-issue.

Well unfortunately this product is out of stock at Dick's and I had to settle for a higher price tag. I was a little slow to decide to get one for my MQ-32 Mathews. I went to FS Arrows, and it's on its way.

I shoot a MQ-32 also Doc,let us know how it works out. I'm very interested in getting one of these too.

• 1 month later...

Ok, it's finally on, and it works good. Just a real quiet dull thump. I served up the string where contact is made, with monofilament. It all came back to me just what a pain that stuff is to work with. It's like trying to use spring wire for serving .... lol. First thing I had to do was to get on the net a refresh my memory on that serving knot. It's been a while. sure does work slick but the mono put some challenge into trying to work with old stiff gnarly fingers....Ha-ha-ha.

use dental floss string and it is easy to work with and does a great job...

I have several spools of regular nylon serving from back in my bowstring making days and that stuff is real easy to work with and control. But I got all hung up on the toughness and durability of monofilament and struggled my way through it ..... lol. It does wind up looking real nice and will absolutely protect any bowstring filaments underneath from the abuse of coming down on that stop with every shot. But before I was done with the job, I was wishing I had three hands instead of two.

I am maybe a little more careful of my bowstring than most since the time I had one break at full-draw and wound up with a basket full of bow parts and a few bandaids on my hand. As it turned out, no permanent damage occurred, but it sure did look devastating...lol. So if a little fussing around can protect something as vital to the function and well being of my bow as the bow-string, I guess its probably good insurance and peace of mind. Whether it's necessary or not, I won't have to worry about finding out. I've been warned by several here within this thread, and I guess I will heed their warning. It seems to be the smart thing to do.

I use BCY No.62 braided center serving that's thicker or at times BCY bonded nylon nock point/peep tying thread.  both work pretty well.  most string stops are infinitely adjustable in length so no worries.  others like older PSE ones have offset set screws for finite adjustments.  I use thin nylon washers as shims that you can get at any hardware store for more adjustment.  most of the time I set the stop so it's barely touching the string with maybe a sheet of paper width between them.  I'm with everyone else in that they do help get the twang or other noise down to a dull "thunk".  remember to check how your bow shoots.  you're now stopping the string in travel instead of letting travel farther forward after the limbs and cams are done pulling on it.  your tune (nock point) might have to change slightly if you shoot say fixed blade broadheads.

I have several spools of regular nylon serving from back in my bowstring making days and that stuff is real easy to work with and control. But I got all hung up on the toughness and durability of monofilament and struggled my way through it ..... lol. It does wind up looking real nice and will absolutely protect any bowstring filaments underneath from the abuse of coming down on that stop with every shot. But before I was done with the job, I was wishing I had three hands instead of two.

not using mono but with the braided serving or bonded thread i use I've kept years worth of stress by running them across a stick of BCY X-wax first before tying them on.  they seem to tighten up easier and be more workable and stay put where they lay during the process (like fishing line WITH memory).