I could have.....

growalot

Before you blame others, could it have been from a collision with a car?  How about a coyote?  How about a dog?  Maybe it was a good friend down the road that took a shot with a bad angle?

Are the "new guy or Vermonters/lease guys" bad people that would just go out and inflict an injury on a deer?

Could be any of the options above and quite possibly just somebody that made a poor shot.

• Like 1

The buck I shot with the gun this year had a badly broken front leg, below the knee that was just flopping around all loosey goosey.  It wasn't shot, it was probably broken in a jump or a fall or a car or.........who knows??  I bet it would have eventually just dried up and fell off, like your pic above.

But who knows??

The buck I shot with the gun this year had a badly broken front leg, below the knee that was just flopping around all loosey goosey.  It wasn't shot, it was probably broken in a jump or a fall or a car or.........who knows??  I bet it would have eventually just dried up and fell off, like your pic above.

But who knows??

I shot a buck a few yrs. ago with a jagged broken front leg just above the ankle, didn't look like a gun shot wound at all.

No I blew it up and it's jagged and nasty..besides experience has shown me they keep a rather tight home range...I would have caught her before this..if she makes it I'll catch her through out the year..chances are she was hit on the upper part of lease. Laid up near us and was just passing through then to the security and warmth of the pines next to us....Every year they wonder around looking for wounded deer..usually not finding them.

Too bad. ….It might survive though. I once pushed a big doe across a lot to a friend. That deer ran like all hell. My buddy  shot it and when we got up to it we were both amazed  to see that it only had 3 legs. Its right front leg was gone, below the knee. The "stump "was completely healed over.  I guess it was shot the year before. 

Still sad though.

Kindle...That was flop eared Momma's...

Lawds...If I hadn't seen this play out nearly yearly...watched how and where the survivors move here ...I would be "jumping to a conclusion" That's just not the case..This is a quote from one of the lease guys relatives..." They wound more deer a year than I see." I have mentioned over the years...Dozen or so times...this is why I get those extra doe tags.It's usually deer running by OR popping up ...in that area of the pic....with their intestines dragging on the ground. So when you ask who knows? I can tell you the person living here and seeing this...I sent this to another neighbor here with only the words " another but back leg."....first thing they said ...lease or guys behind them at it again!...Well, cleaned that up...they get a bit more angry about it.

Edited by growalot

A bunch of years ago, I shot a 3-legged doe. About 1' of the left front leg was missing. The skin that grew over the wound looked like the pad of a dog's foot. You could not tell from the gait of the deer that anything was wrong. She was layered with fat like I have never seen on a deer. She was shot in a small field that I maintain as another lawn area that is surrounded by a huge dense thicket in front of our house. My theory is that unlike other deer that move from the bottom of the valley up the hill and back constantly, she just stayed in that thicket eating and sleeping and living a life of total luxury just building huge fat reserves. She had everything she needed right there in our thicket and in that field. By the way, she had been nursing, so she apparently had been successful bred the previous year.

Amazing and resilient animals.

we had a 3 legged doe at camp for 6 years. she was born without a left rear leg, she was in our pasture right in front of camp almost every day and raised fawns every year after age 2. everyone gave her a pass in hunting season. dad found her in late Feb. 3 months shy of her 7th birthday. no obvious signs of cause of death. 

no doubt about it they are as you said doc very resilient animals.

That gives me hope Reeltime in the pic she looks to still be in good shape..I and a few others have the same thoughts...If they made it with such and injury especially going into these rough winters on the hill ...to go on and still successfully raise fawns...they darn well deserve a pass...at least on our lands.

Doc.... that is exactly what they do here...not a very big territory at all............ they find a good food and water niche and stay close to it....With all the corn going in this coming spring she and any others they may have hit will have plenty of places to lay low this summer........... usually it's just one a year...One year we ended up with 3 flop eared Momma's and a flop eared buck....perfectly round holes that break the ears over.