7.62x39 Any good for deer?

I use a Ruger Mini 30 sometimes.  The round is about the ballistic equivalent of a .30-30 so it can take deer out to 200 yards with no worries.  Just be sure to use good ammo like Remington or Federal with good soft point bullets of 125 grain or so.

• Like 1

I've seen used on deer does the job with no problems I've carried one a few times just never had a shot. There's a reason why it's arguably the most used round/gun in the world. If I can ask what platform is he looking at?

AR, not sure would have to ask.

• Like 1

I've seen used on deer does the job with no problems I've carried one a few times just never had a shot. There's a reason why it's arguably the most used round/gun in the world. If I can ask what platform is he looking at?

Gun is a Ruger Mini 30, 7.62x39.

• Like 2

Gun is a Ruger Mini 30, 7.62x39.

Good semi auto rifle.  Very dependable and virtually jam free.  Add a good low power variable scope, like a 1.5 x 5 and a nice sling, ( I modified mine so it can accept detachable sling swivels ) and you have a very adaptable medium range deer rifle.  Mine happens to have a nicely figured walnut stock and is stainless steel.  It's a little heavy for mountain hunting, but it generally does well in the woods.

P.S.  Also a very good choice for the one rifle man.  It will work well in any situation a medium power, medium range rifle would be required.  Ten round mags are available for NY residents, but 30 round or more are made for those living in free America.

Edited by Mr VJP

However, keep in mind that a 5 round mag is required to hunt big game in NY.. NY requires that a semi auto has a max capacity of no more than 6 rounds..

This reg FAR predates the UNsafe law BS....

That's why I buy special 5 round enbloc clips for my M1..

As I recall, the original advertising for the mini 30 was that it was designed as a deer rifle. With  ballistics close to the 30-30 Win. I think it would do a fine job out to 200yds or so. 

I think that most people hear "7.62x39" and think AK-47 firing FMJ's. But there are good hunting rounds out there in that Cal.

However, keep in mind that a 5 round mag is required to hunt big game in NY.. NY requires that a semi auto has a max capacity of no more than 6 rounds..

This reg FAR predates the UNsafe law BS....

That's why I buy special 5 round enbloc clips for my M1..

6 rounds, 6 deer,  how many does a guy need?  lol  wishful thinking! 

• Like 1

This year I used my new CZ 527M in the 7.62x39.  I was able to take one deer with it and it worked very well.  About a 175 yard shot using Federal Fusion 123 grain ammo.  My rifle also shoots any military surplus that I have tried very well.  Use it, enjoy it, just be very sure of your shot placement and range.  Good luck.

Hehehehehe..

Don't forget that Jack O'Conner also had high praise for the 7 x 57..

Our first introduction to that round was when when the Spanish used it to shoot neat little holes in quite a few of us Gringos down in Cuba back in 1898...

• Like 1

Hehehehehe..

Our first introduction to that round was when when the Spanish used it to shoot neat little holes in quite a few of us Gringos down in Cuba back in 1898...

All the more reason to stick with the All-American .30-06.....the bullet that has killed more American enemy combatants AND North American big game animals than any other round ;)

In fact, I have a personal ban on anything with a mm next to it :D

All the more reason to stick with the All-American .30-06.....the bullet that has killed more American enemy combatants AND North American big game animals than any other round ;)

The 30-06 isn't QUITE as All American as you may think..It and many other rounds sharing the same case head are based on the basic 8x57 , developed by Mauser in Germany, the cartridge that served Germany and many other countries through two world wars.

The 1903 Springfield, the first US military rifle chambered in 30-06, is just a slightly modified Mauser. It is so similar that Springfield had to pay patent royalties to Mauser for years to legally produce it.

Absolutely nothing against the 30-06, though, it is a wonderfully versatile cartridge, even if IS called the 7.62x63MM in some parts of Europe..<<grin>>....

• Like 1

The '06 is a great round, but you don't always need it to shoot a deer.  The 7.62x39 has a lot less recoil, which may help some hunters have better bullet placement, and it is far less expensive for plinking ammo.  That means more practice with the rifle and better proficiency with it in the field.

I own both, and consider them tools for hunting.  It gives me more options as far as selecting the right tool for the job at hand. Why use a sledge hammer to drive carpet tacks?

BTW, the 7mm Remington mag is an American cartridge.

LOL, those are fair points, but given that rational, then the only true All-American implement would be one invented by an American Indian.  Kind of like saying Hot Dogs aren't American because their roots are from German bratwurst :D

I just can't fathom being proud to hunt in America for our great wildlife with a communist bullit :/

• Like 1

JoeHunter, just to add some salt to the wound, I purchased a Russian made Mosin-Nagant in 7.62X54 a couple of years back. Got it from Cabelas and it cost me a whopping $25 after using a few Cabelas points. Never used it to hunt, but would NOT have any issues hunting with it if I had to. Would take that round over the .30-30 any day. Definitely accurate enough out to 100 yards to bring down a deer with its open sights. That's as far as I'd want to shoot with any open sighted gun anyway. Could finish the deer off with it's bayonet if I had to, and not waste a bullet. LOL

JoeHunter, just to add some salt to the wound, I purchased a Russian made Mosin-Nagant in 7.62X54 a couple of years back. Got it from Cabelas and it cost me a whopping $25 after using a few Cabelas points. Never used it to hunt, but would NOT have any issues hunting with it if I had to. Would take that round over the .30-30 any day. Definitely accurate enough out to 100 yards to bring down a deer with its open sights. That's as far as I'd want to shoot with any open sighted gun anyway. Could finish the deer off with it's bayonet if I had to, and not waste a bullet. LOL

7.62X54 is a full power battle rifle round.

7.62X39 is a reduced power assault rifle round.

Big difference.

Hi folks.  Why any good red blooded American would prefer Soviet communist ammunition to hunt our prized North American Whitetail is beyond me. yes, it will kills the animal, but one would be wiser to choose the All-American .30-06 or the Jack Conner .270. Happy Hunting :)

Hehehehehe..

The 8X57 is the grandaddy of ALL .473" head cartridges, including the '06 & don't you forget it! :rolleyes:

The 30-06 was designed to replace the ealier 30-03 cartridge design & meet the performance level of the newly designed 8X57IS  which far exceeded the 30-03 in performance. Springfield did a decent job of copying the 8X57IS & nearly met the performance level, albeit @ higher pressure..

Fact is, the '03 Springfield action was built under license from Mauser (before WW I) as it is a (slightly) modified M98 action. After WW I Springfield probably told Paul Mauser to kiss their ass.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1