7.62x39 Any good for deer?

What about the availability of ammo, ya plenty of cheap COMMUNIST 7.62X39 available for those inclined to be be communist hunters, but the availability of the great 06 is pretty good to...even is much of it is made in Greece... :D

I have nothing against the Greeks..

Shucks, a Cheif Boatswain's Mate on board my ship said that when he retired he was going to sign aboard a Greek Vaseline Freighter where all of the hatchways were 3 feet off the deck...

Hi JoeHunter,

Let me tell you what kind of man would use the "Commie 7.62x39".  I am nearly 70 years old and still hunt the old fashion way, walking around.  I have back and shoulder problems which mandate that I use a lighter weapon, with very moderate recoil.  Did a lot of research and found the CZ 527M carbine in a caliber that mimics the CARTRIDGE THAT HAS KILLED MORE DEER THAN THE '06--THE 30/30.  Using this 5 3/4# carbine, with little or no recoil allows me to continue to hunt after more then 50 years.  I have had '06, 308, 243, 6.8 SPC.  Yes they all kill deer, but those shot with the 7.62x39 are no less dead than when shot with any other caliber.  I know the limitations of my weapon, I practice year round (Yep, "Commie" surplus) and pick my shots very carefully.  I don't take 300 yard shots at running deer, I must use my hunting skills to get within that proper range.  Don't want to start a whizzing' match, just want you to understand that everyone's personal situation is different, whether health, financial or whatever.  Please don't criticize a person's action until you know his/her circumstances.  Happy New Year and may your 2015 deer season be as enjoyable as mine will be.

Poppy

Hi JoeHunter,

Let me tell you what kind of man would use the "Commie 7.62x39".  I am nearly 70 years old and still hunt the old fashion way, walking around.  I have back and shoulder problems which mandate that I use a lighter weapon, with very moderate recoil.  Did a lot of research and found the CZ 527M carbine in a caliber that mimics the CARTRIDGE THAT HAS KILLED MORE DEER THAN THE '06--THE 30/30.  Using this 5 3/4# carbine, with little or no recoil allows me to continue to hunt after more then 50 years.  I have had '06, 308, 243, 6.8 SPC.  Yes they all kill deer, but those shot with the 7.62x39 are no less dead than when shot with any other caliber.  I know the limitations of my weapon, I practice year round (Yep, "Commie" surplus) and pick my shots very carefully.  I don't take 300 yard shots at running deer, I must use my hunting skills to get within that proper range.  Don't want to start a whizzing' match, just want you to understand that everyone's personal situation is different, whether health, financial or whatever.  Please don't criticize a person's action until you know his/her circumstances.  Happy New Year and may your 2015 deer season be as enjoyable as mine will be.

Poppy

LOL, Im amazed at the thin skin from too many regarding the Soviet bullet. Stunned actually. I thought most red blooded Americans would simply reject communist bullets based on principle alone!, but then again, my 30 years in the US Army has left me a little biased I suppose. I will admit, based on my military experience, the AK 47, though horribly not accurate, is a great reliable weapon that will fire regardless of its condition and how dirty it might be, unlike the AR15 family, but based on principle....I just couldn't sleep well at night, carrying any weapon or clip/mag with Soviet ammo...for any purpose, much less chasing our great American North American Whitetail. Sorry, but it's a matter of Patriotic principle for me, not the ability to kill. 

Joe

Never met a CZ rifle that I didn't like...Very accurate and well made rifles for the money...

I even owned a BRNO 602, same factory and back when Czech's were fully commie.

But it was chambered in 458 Win Mag.

Did that make me red blooded American or red blooded.....errr.....Red?

• Like 1

458 Win Mag. Now that is an honest red blooded American bullet!  Plus the Czech's never want

458 Win Mag is a fine All-American bullet. Plus the Czech's never wanted to be behind the Soviet curtain, so it's all good ;)

JoeHunter,

As a veteran of the Vietnam Era, Brown Water Navy, I can understand how you may be biased based on the previous uses of that round.  I commend and thank you for your 30 years of service to our great country and from one vet to another I will always defend your right to have those biases, but the original question was "Does anyone use a 7.62x39 for deer hunting".  All that I was trying to do was provide some info to that question.  As for thin skin, I was not upset with you.  You expressed an opinion that I felt required an answer.  As for our differences, be thankful  for all of thee veterans that served to ensure that we can express our differences freely and openly.  Again Happy New Year and may your 2015 deer season be as enjoyable as mine.

Poppy :rolleyes:   

Poppy, the question was if the bullet "Was any good for deer....not "does anyone use it for deer"....well hell a .22lr will kill a deer if placed right, but I was making the point of why anyone would want that communist junk!?  I mean really, who goes into a sportsmen store and says, "I think I'm going to try the 7.62x39 to hunt deer!" Really?  Ok, I suppose. American is about free will and choice so have at it, but I'm concerned about the character of .....

LOL, Im amazed at the thin skin from too many regarding the Soviet bullet. Stunned actually. I thought most red blooded Americans would simply reject communist bullets based on principle alone!, but then again, my 30 years in the US Army has left me a little biased I suppose. I will admit, based on my military experience, the AK 47, though horribly not accurate, is a great reliable weapon that will fire regardless of its condition and how dirty it might be, unlike the AR15 family, but based on principle....I just couldn't sleep well at night, carrying any weapon or clip/mag with Soviet ammo...for any purpose, much less chasing our great American North American Whitetail. Sorry, but it's a matter of Patriotic principle for me, not the ability to kill. 

Joe

Joe

You do realize NY State is the 2nd closest thing to a communist state (after CA) in America, right?

• Like 1

I love the 7.62x54R for deer. With the right bullet, it far outshines the 30-30 Win. 35 Rem. 32 Win. Special, 300 Savage and in some cases even the .308 Win.  Best part is that you can pick up a 100 year old Mosin for about 150 bucks, drop it into a $65 after market stock, add a decent $150 scope and have a way better hunting rig than any old Winchester, Marlin or Savage lever gun. 

• Like 1

I have shot several deer with my 184 series mini 30. Most gun stores carry Remington and federal soft points in 123gr. Great gun, good choice, good luck

just a fyi , don't lose the gas block piston when doing end of year cleaning.....took me a bit to find it.

I love the 7.62x54R for deer. With the right bullet, it far outshines the 30-30 Win. 35 Rem. 32 Win. Special, 300 Savage and in some cases even the .308 Win.  Best part is that you can pick up a 100 year old Mosin for about 150 bucks, drop it into a $65 after market stock, add a decent $150 scope and have a way better hunting rig than any old Winchester, Marlin or Savage lever gun. 

Nonsense. Does not outshine any of those calibers.

Joe, he said x54, not x39.  Big difference.  

As far as owning a firearm in 7.62x39, if the rifle you want is only chambered for that round, as is the Mini 30, (since Ruger never released the XGI in .308) it happens to be a perfectly acceptable combination.

And after you already own most of the other chamberings one would consider for deer hunting, it just adds more variety to your battery.

;)

You communist bullet defenders crack me up. Really?  When you can own a bullet to be proud of. 270, 308, 06...you really think the communist millimeter bullet is something to wear with honor???...is this a NY thing?.

:heat:

If it wasn't for the 8X57 you wouldn't have the 270, 30-06 or 308, oops, I mean 7.62 X 51.

Every one of them were based on the 8X57 case.

$150 for a Mosin is about $300 more than it's worth.