Deer comunty toilet?

Cbarber4

Never known a deer to treat a tree like a dog does. This looks more like the scat was tossed around that tree, deer poop in little piles, they don't spray it like in this pic. If it was all urine, I might believe it. Most of the the tracks look old, yet the scat is sitting on top of most of the tracks...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................................................

Cough! 

Never known a deer to treat a tree like a dog does. This looks more like the scat was tossed around that tree, deer poop in little piles, they don't spray it like in this pic. If it was all urine, I might believe it. Most of the the tracks look old, yet the scat is sitting on top of most of the tracks...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................................................

Cough! 

Cyaniderob, JustRob and now ...Rob? three username changes in 6 months has got to be some type of record.

• Like 3

I have a post similar to this somewhere. But the scat was like a deer would normally do. Little piles all over an area. Not deer "pellets" scattered like a hurricane dropped them there. Deer don't get the "beer squirts" and shoot **** out of their *****.

The amount of yellow snow is not even close to as far as age to the scat. The pellets would have soaked in making the area around them brownish as well. Like I said, most of those pellets are on top of crusted snow.

As for your comment about "No Human Tracks", I guess you have no idea who Mr. Sherlock Holmes is. He takes the most off the wall clue possibilities, deduces them to be false, and then traces back. He then would say;

"While this was intriguing, I must say, the notation by the conspirator of there being no "human foot prints" was the demise. HAHA! There in lies the mystery Watson!! Why no prints? Did they indeed move the scat? Many the man has done far more to make a statement, Watson! This image is an illusion! A want for notoriety! For attention!".

I have a post similar to this somewhere. But the scat was like a deer would normally do. Little piles all over an area. Not deer "pellets" scattered like a hurricane dropped them there. Deer don't get the "beer squirts" and shoot **** out of their *****.

The amount of yellow snow is not even close to as far as age to the scat. The pellets would have soaked in making the area around them brownish as well. Like I said, most of those pellets are on top of crusted snow.

As for your comment about "No Human Tracks", I guess you have no idea who Mr. Sherlock Holmes is. He takes the most off the wall clue possibilities, deduces them to be false, and then traces back. He then would say;

"While this was intriguing, I must say, the notation by the conspirator of there being no "human foot prints" was the demise. HAHA! There in lies the mystery Watson!! Why no prints? Did they indeed move the scat? Many the man has done far more to make a statement, Watson! This image is an illusion! A want for notoriety! For attention!".

Whaaaat?

It that a hemlock tree (hard to tell)? I have seen porcupines leave this sort of "toilet" at the bases of favored hemlocks. Big porcupines can have quite large droppings indeed.

It is a group of cedar trees, I just looked up porcupine poop I think that's what it is. There is a lot of deer tracks there must be where they hangout in the winter.

They like cedars, too. Very likely porcupine(s)!

Yep, porcupine poop.

Deer also depend on cedars (as well as hemlocks) for food during harsh winter conditions.

Yep, porcupine poop.

Deer also depend on cedars (as well as hemlocks) for food during harsh winter conditions.

X2 saw piles like that years ago in one spot on my property, first thing I thought that it was from deer until I saw porcupine near it .

X2 saw piles like that years ago in one spot on my property, first thing I thought that it was from deer until I saw porcupine near it .

Once you're familiar W/it, porcupine poop is different & can be easily identified from deer poop.

When I 1st move from the Southern Midwest, I didn't know the difference.

• 1 month later...

Rob...... deer do not just "poop" little piles...they will "poop" as they walk as well. This makes a trail of "poop". During the winter months as in the OP deer have a drier pellet  due to the lack of fresh greens. In early spring during first green up they will get droppings similar to cow plops when consuming as much fresh greens as possible. Then their systems get use to this new food source and the droppings will go from that to moist "clumps" then to moist pellets...

• Like 1

Since I've thought about this a few times but never got around to writing....Here is a tip on how to tell if someone in your area has started "feeding" deer in the summer or fall and especially if they have put out mineral sites or salt licks.

Because deer travel through different areas and if you are in a situation like mine and are surrounded by hunters and hunting camps, they are hitting most places in the area during their travels... here,funny enough...it can be a 3 day cycle. Many times I have said I plant plots and don't worry about mineral sites for I let the neighbors do the illegal stuff...mind you I do not tresspass and can say assumption here....Though assumption based on this.

Suddenly those moist pellets and clumps become gooy off colored plops....the new introduction of large emounts of salts and minerals or strange food and perhaps moldy food or blocks seriously messes with their guts for a week or two...then such sitings drop off as thier system adjusts..So if suddenly you start seeing this on your place and you know you aren't putting anything out...you can pretty much guess someone near by is...I really see a lot of this when  camps start to open up and people are coming out to set up for the up coming season...or locals are starting to "condition" movements. Many  many years of observation