LOOKING FOR A DEER RIFLE FOR NEXT YEAR.

Im 15. baught my own 410 single shot shotgun when i was 13. Used maybe 5 times. Perfect condition. No rust, Little to no scratches. Will post pictures if intrested. looking to trade it for a rifle. Probably a 243 or a 270. Would really like a 243 though. Let me know what you have guys. Thanks.

I am not a big fan of the .243.  You are 15, almost a man.  A .270 is a whole lot better in my opinion and not very difficult to handle at all for someone your age.  You will be pretty much set forever with the .270.

i agree a .270 will be a good all around calibre that will be good for the rest of your life. a .243 is a limited calibre.

Im with you guys on the 243 only looking to limit your self with that gun at 15 only thing u can shoot is deer or smaller game. U might not think u will ever go after anything else but u never know. As far as a recommendation im going to say the 7-08 would be more than perfect for a 15 year old looking for a versatile rife. Alot of knock down power with little recoil. 

It is funny to see these threads on the deer rifles. I find it amusing that the ones everyone talks about are rounds based on those two old work horses...the .30-06 and the .308. I love both rounds and they have been modified into some of the finest rounds out there. I really think for deer sized game and below you can't go wrong with any rifle based on either one of those casings

Culver totally agree with u that anything based on either of those cartridges is a great rifle my main gun is a 30-06 and has ended many hunts successfully for me but for the average 15 year old they would be better off with something with a little more mild recoil and Robinson doesnt sound like he has shot that much yet. Always reduce recoil in my opinion

I agree...but in the 06 family...25....270...30 with reduced recoil loads......or in the 308 family...243.....7mm08...280...or 308....with reduced recoil loads....if I had to recommend just one rifle for a kid I would say 270...if the 30-06 scares him. I like the 7mm08....but every gun shop in north america will have 270....or. 30-06

looks like everyone has a favorite, but no one has one to trade.  :D  I am much older than 15, and I use a 25-06 with 115 grain bullets.  No need for anything else.  Now, if you want my opinion, scope the black diamond, and shoot a hornady xtp bullet in a decent sabot, and hunt anything you want to.  Lots of knock down power

• 3 weeks later...