Curved blade vs straight blade

ATbuckhunter

What do you prefer for a skinning knife? I have always used straight knives that I have gotten for free from Deer and Deer hunting but I always thought and heard that a curved blade does a better job and faster. I know that you can get the job done with any knife since i have had no problem with my free ones the past. 

I was saw this knife when I was looking at KA-Bar's http://www.bubbablade.com/Bubba-Blade-6-inch-Chubby-Knife.htm

Get the raptor razor big game skinner... Last skinner u'll ever buy! Bought it n used it this year using the gutless method , cut time in half , eliminates trek back to truck to get the game cart, n don't have to worry about disposing of the carcass .... Everything stays in the woods except your meet....! Raptor razor big game skinner and a regular straight blade for taking off backsrtaps n tenderloin n ur good to go...

I made a curved blade skinner 50+ years ago out of tool steel. I find skinning a deer a lot easier with a curved blade , you are using the whole blade in one movement not just the tip.

Thats what I hear. 2 of my uncles were butchers for a round 10 years and they always used curved blades to skin all the sheep, Lamb, Goat, Veal and Cow. I think ill be going with this one 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NG9AXA/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687782&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008RBSEMA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1360KEWP6RD9065G0738

I don't think I have any dedicated skinning knives but I do have some I prefer to use for that job. 

This is an example of a great design that originally came from George Herron.  Geno Denning was taught by George and is said to have been his best student.

This is a Denning #1...........

IMG_1715.jpg

This design works great for skinning and dismembering, IMO.

Plenty of knives can get a job done, that's part of the fun.