"Accidents Happen"

troutman

I read the entire article; and I commented in another post.

WTF, are these people STUPID, or brain dead.

They shoot at anything that moves, irregardless what the outline looks like, or if it resembles an animal at all.

wasting good air is an understatement.

But he took a good shot,  hit the kid in the stomach.

and they said, the kid shouldn't have taken off his orange hat.

if the kid was in brown carharts....a christmas reindeer hat on....with a white hanki in his back pocket there is NO excuse for this. I am sorry but if a bullet comes in contact with a human....there ought to be handcuffs and jail time involved.

Thinking back as I typed this....I can't recal one time that I even shouldered my gun with out knowing it was a deer.

I wrote this in another thread.

I was hunting private property, and I make out a guy walking across posted land, full camo head to toe.

It was just so obvious it was NOT a deer, even at 200 yards in thick laurel.  The human form does not resemble a deer, a goat, a dog, or anything else.

These people are beyond any words I can choose.

Hunting state land is safer.  I wear orange, and I know other people are out there, and hopefully other people realize other people are out there too.

If I see another hunter, I always WAVE and make eye contact, and tell them which direction I am walking.

Im with you Culver, I dont ever shoulder my gun unless I am 100% sure of what Im shooting at.

How in the heck can anyone aim at the vitals if they can't even see that it's not even a deer? Just throw some lead in the general direction and hope something goes down??? Well, something went down all right!

There are some crazy people out there. That's why I'm so adamant about the use of blaze orange and other items and actions of safety. It's obvious that there are some people out there that have gone through hunter safety training and it all went in one ear and out the other. I do what I can to protect myself from them.

And then this creep has the nerve to say, "accidents happen"? That's kind of like shrugging the whole thing off as something that was unavoidable. This deal was not unavoidable in any sense. Those kind of people are scattered out there among us. To me that makes it super-important to hunt defensively.

It really makes me think that some amount of jail time should result whenever some of these crazy shootings take place. That kind of disregard for human life needs punishments that serve as examples to others that are beginning to develop these kinds of reckless attitudes toward where they are flinging lead.

should be state law,

Retake the saftey class every 5 years, or don't hunt.

or a saftey refresher.

It's the only way to weed out the morons.

I can't disagree more. I really believe it has nothing to do with them not knowing the safe way to do things. sitting in a class will not fix it. It really has more to do with the culture of being safe and increasing the penalties for being unsafe.

We run into the same issue in construction. you can have a tool blx talk about a specific topic and not a few hours later find guys doing just what you told them not to. Fire them and it gets their attention.

Start hammering these clowns in the wollds that do stupid crap and that will change the view of hunting safety...My 2 cents

Heres the full story...

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=7838864

The guy was arrested and is in jail. Hopefully he spends lots of time there and is never allowed to hunt again.

Im with you Culver, I dont ever shoulder my gun unless I am 100% sure of what Im shooting at.

same here...

should be state law,

or a saftey refresher.

I can't disagree more. I really believe it has nothing to do with them not knowing the safe way to do things. sitting in a class will not fix it. It really has more to do with the culture of being safe and increasing the penalties for being unsafe.

We run into the same issue in construction. you can have a tool blx talk about a specific topic and not a few hours later find guys doing just what you told them not to. Fire them and it gets their attention.

Start hammering these clowns in the wollds that do stupid crap and that will change the view of hunting safety...My 2 cents

So your the new hunting police man.  your armed,  he's armed and dangerous.  You go out and enforced all the rules, and saftey precautions, and confront all these guys.

The problem is you will only find them after they shot someone.

My method will hopefully stop them from shooting someone; and maybe waking them up a little bit.

should be state law,

or a saftey refresher.

i dont think a safety coarse every few years will change that issue either... In fact wasnt the guy an instructor anyway? so, that doesn't say much.

should be state law,

or a saftey refresher.

I will re-state what I said on the other related thread:

"It all boils down to the fact that hunter safety really is an individual state of mind. You can teach the fundamentals of safety, but there will always be a certain number of people who feel they know better, and that such things can never happen to them. They will laugh at your suggestions of safety. They will go out of their way to prove that hunting mishaps only happen to the other guy and that they needn't worry about such things themselves. I guess that's just human nature and you can't teach, cajole, or persuade "human nature"."

Hunter safety education works on those that would probably be safe anyway. Those that have already decided that safety is inconvenient and meant for "other people" will not pay anymore attention to the instructor regardless of how many times you repeat the lesson.

should be state law,

or a saftey refresher.

So your the new hunting police man.  your armed,  he's armed and dangerous.  You go out and enforced all the rules, and saftey precautions, and confront all these guys.

The problem is you will only find them after they shot someone.

My method will hopefully stop them from shooting someone; and maybe waking them up a little bit.

No silly. I was talking about official action against the clowns. and it is up to us to police the ones WE HUNT WITH. you can not teach the mindset to be safe. I have lived it ...it doesn't work. It is a cultural change that is needed ...that will come from peers that decide to no longer tolerate a guys unsafe actions.

I disagree.  I recently sat in on the class, because my son was taking it.

I did not remember many things from my class 40 years ago:

unload gun before crossing fence.

what shots are good on a deer:

quartering which direction, etc, etc.

My son thought head shots would be good, but he learned otherwise.

It was worth 6 hours of my 12 hours I spent taking the class.

a recurring saftey class will do NO HARM.

I disagree.  I recently sat in on the class, because my son was taking it.

I did not remember many things from my class 40 years ago:

unload gun before crossing fence.

what shots are good on a deer:

quartering which direction, etc, etc.

My son thought head shots would be good, but he learned otherwise.

It was worth 6 hours of my 12 hours I spent taking the class.

a recurring saftey class will do NO HARM.

I am not tryong to bust your chops but if the things you listed  seem like every day safety practices