Target shooting in a state forest?

fadetoblack188

Our camp in Redfield a few years back had a DEC officer stop by when we were doing camp cleanup one spring.It was one of the questions we asked him because we can get 100 yard shots on our small parcel of land and the backstop was on state land.He told us while its legal for us to shot that technically we would be in violation if the bullets landed on state land.He could nave been wrong but it prompted us to get a few truckloads of sand as a backstop on our property and shorten the range to 80 yards.Bettter safe than sorry

Ask the Ranger

Q: I’ve heard that target shooting is allowed

on state land in the Adirondacks. Is this

true? If so, what rules must be followed?

A: Shooting targets on state land is permitted

if: you do so in a safe manner; you

do not damage trees; and you pick up used

targets, spent casings, etc. Possessing and

shooting at breakable targets—including,

but not limited to, clay pigeons and glass

containers—is prohibited on state lands.

Unless legally engaged in the act of hunting,

no person shall discharge firearms on state

lands posted or designated as closed to

target shooting.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administration_pdf/1014onpatrol.pdf

To reiterate some state land is posted to not allow target shooting.

Any good site addresses on this subject would be greatly appreciated. It would be nice to be able to find one iron-clad answer that is not subject to some kind of interpretation. Something that I could run a copy of and have around the house when that subject comes up. I haven't been able to find any such thing on the net.

I haven't been able to find any such thing on the net.

And you won't :)

No person shall possess breakable targets, including but not limited to clay pigeons, on State lands and no person shall target shoot at breakable targets, including but not limited to clay pigeons and glass containers, on State lands. Unless legally engaged in the act of hunting, no person shall discharge firearms on State lands posted or designated as closed to target shooting.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4081.html §190.8 General

So for each state land parcel, you have to contact the relevant management and find out.   Some are open, some are not.   I would absolutely not rely on the lack of posted signs.

it also is very independent on the local ranger/ dec officer. Even though technically allowed, they can stop you and direct you to a preferred location (or not). Keep in mind most any damage to trees, brush or ground cover is not allowed.

We have a chunk of state land that I hunt that is constantly being used as a shooting range. Unfortunately, there are no designated areas or back-stops or anything that makes it safe. And also unfortunately I have seen guys set up arbitrarily with no consideration about what is behind where they are shooting. I have even seen them shooting into areas that have switch back public access trails that run a few yards beyond where these guys had set up their targets. So there is the problem with being so damn confusing and secretive about the rules of target shooting on state lands. Unless posted in big obvious letters, people will use state land as unofficial shooting ranges. The free access, and ready access will always make them preferred places to shoot. The DEC should stop pussy-footing around the issue and take a bulldozer in each parcel and bulldoze up proper backstops and cleared out areas to serve as safe places to shoot and make any target activity confined officially to those spots. It becomes a win-win situation for everyone, and all the confusion goes away.

We have a chunk of state land that I hunt that is constantly being used as a shooting range. Unfortunately, there are no designated areas or back-stops or anything that makes it safe. And also unfortunately I have seen guys set up arbitrarily with no consideration about what is behind where they are shooting. I have even seen them shooting into areas that have switch back public access trails that run a few yards beyond where these guys had set up their targets. So there is the problem with being so damn confusing and secretive about the rules of target shooting on state lands. Unless posted in big obvious letters, people will use state land as unofficial shooting ranges. The free access, and ready access will always make them preferred places to shoot. The DEC should stop pussy-footing around the issue and take a bulldozer in each parcel and bulldoze up proper backstops and cleared out areas to serve as safe places to shoot and make any target activity confined officially to those spots. It becomes a win-win situation for everyone, and all the confusion goes away.

Everyone must have  private land to hunt on, that they can post up, but public areas to target shoot... And meanwhile many shooting facilities are going broke or just hanging on. 

We have a chunk of state land that I hunt that is constantly being used as a shooting range. Unfortunately, there are no designated areas or back-stops or anything that makes it safe. And also unfortunately I have seen guys set up arbitrarily with no consideration about what is behind where they are shooting. I have even seen them shooting into areas that have switch back public access trails that run a few yards beyond where these guys had set up their targets. So there is the problem with being so damn confusing and secretive about the rules of target shooting on state lands. Unless posted in big obvious letters, people will use state land as unofficial shooting ranges. The free access, and ready access will always make them preferred places to shoot. The DEC should stop pussy-footing around the issue and take a bulldozer in each parcel and bulldoze up proper backstops and cleared out areas to serve as safe places to shoot and make any target activity confined officially to those spots. It becomes a win-win situation for everyone, and all the confusion goes away.

The problem with bulldozing everything is that state WML is PUBLIC MULTI USE and environmental impact studies must be done along with proper site prep.

The problem with bulldozing everything is that state WML is PUBLIC MULTI USE and environmental impact studies must be done along with proper site prep.

Most people including most hunters, do not know what wildlife management means. Those lands should be renamed habitat management areas. 

Second, Multi Use Areas are not the same as WMAs. However, prime habitat exists on some  MUAs, those lands should be re -designated as WMAs. 

No, I was not suggesting that they flatten the place and bulldoze it clean .... lol. It is just that when they allow target practice on public land, they are (or should be) accepting some level of responsibility for providing a few of the basic safety features that any other public range would have to provide. Heck, if they want to put in roads or ponds or lean-tos or any number of other constructions, that seems to get those done easy enough.

Sometimes it's better to keep things vague....... I've seen signs on state land stating "No Target Shooting" and others that state "No Promiscuous Shooting"......... The former seems to imply no shooting, while the later that there should be no casual or on the move shooting. Personally speaking, I wouldn't do either on properties that aren't pretty well isolated. A bit of discretion and common sense goes a long way. In some areas, we are just an accident away from no discharge laws........ we must be mindful.

Edited by Woodcock

Our ranges....all that I have been to, are really nice and used to be "free" . Not any more though...... whatever... I guess our license fees just don't cut it to upkeep a few pieces of pine board and some tyvek...etc. Any way, we need to pay to use them now. But, they are nice. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=620410&mode=2

I guess, if they can't afford a minimal backstopped area for target shooting, I would just as soon that they simply flat out, disallowed all target shooting on public lands. There's no need to be ambiguous about it. simply make it an all inclusive rule that public lands are not to be used as target ranges. There's an awful lot of hikers, bikers, bird-watchers, etc. that have no idea that anybody can decide to set up some targets anyplace they want (back-stopped or not), including places where trails are in the line of fire.

• Like 1

They are going to install pavilions and shooting benches from what I have seen, as well as backstops...

The only thing i don't like is that i KNOW from personal experience with the clubs i belong to is that idiots love to bring things in.... but never take out... went to a range yesterday and there was cans, targets, ammo boxes and casings all over the place. I hate thinking what anti-gun and anti-hunting groups are going to do.