Home Security

phade

Actually the biggest complaint we get from homeowners especially on the east end of LI (or any home used for vacation, hunting or weekends only) is people breaking in and using the house as a hang out for a few days. This usually happens during the week in the evenings and considerable damage can be done to the home itself. While they may not steal much I have seen several thousands of dollars of damage done. Too bad they call us after the damage is done.

I guess if these type of break ins happen often out there, then they should consider more elaborate systems.  I would think if you own a weekend house on the east end of LI, you could surely afford it.  I doubt anyone will want to party in my house while I am upstairs snoring! LOL

I was once told to never leave any keys visible in your car. Knuckle heads will break your window only to find out those were not the car keys and leave. Sure, you car didn't get stolen but you ended up with a broken window simply because the crook had the IQ of a goldfish.

You guns and jewelry might be safely locked up in a safe but the crooks won't know that until after they break into your place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What else is so valuable that you guys keep in your homes?  If someone was intent on coming in to kill, I don't think those alarms going off would stop them from doing it.

Inside my house is myself and my wife, and in the early years, there were two kids. Those are pretty valuable to me. And then there is the value of an early detection set of devices that brings you out of a relatively helpless state of sleep and allows you a few extra minutes to grab your home defense weapons and perhaps place a call to 911 to put the cavalry in motion for some potential assistance as a last line of defense.

I don't doubt the value of such measures, I just have to learn to ditch my procrastinating ways. But I sure do applaud those forward thinking people who take the appropriate steps.

Friend just showed me his camera set up on his sump pump, via his cell.

Lodge tech, they run off your wireless and they have outside cameras too.

You log onto their site and view your camera then "draw" a line around an area of your choosing, anything that moves inside that area you get a text.

• 1 month later...

check out the Chamberlain CWA2000 wireless motion alert. Lowes, HD, (Amazon -usually best price) carry it and you can add up to 4 sensors for every base unit. One of the sensors was beat after 2 years, called chamberlain and they sent me new one and a new base -no charge.

I've caught a couple hood rats over the past 5 years in our neighborhood. Both were charged with crimes; one was ONLY stealing a bike but the other was going to break in to the house across the street.

Both are long stories but the Readers Digest version of the second one is that he had already done a few other daylight robberies in the past until I caught him casing my neighbors. I confronted him in a ugly way and before I turned him loose (I couldn't prove anything at that point) I snapped his picture with my old flip phone camera. That pizzed him off.......

I reported it right away and the police were very interested in talking to me in person and about passed out when I showed them the picture! It took 6 weeks but they did catch the punk and he admitted to all the break ins and that he was going to rob my neighbor's house until I (I wasn't alone, I had Smith & Wesson along) confronted him.

POS punks........

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2