Setting a blind up the night before a hunt

MACHINIST

I usually just sit against a tree but with me taking a my nephew out I will be using the blind quite a bit this year.Just wondering if many people roost birds then set the blind up the night before?I have been scoping a few groups out and have 5-6 spots already cleared of brush/ground debris for blind setup.I hate doing a blind setup in the am as I am far from the quietest person in the woods and don't want to use a light in the am.So I figure to get high on a ridge the night before and watch the birds roost,then wait a hour or so and go to the spot I want to set the blind up for the am.What do you think?

As long as it is good and dark you should be OK..You can get get away with some noise in the dark, either after dusk or well before dawn.

I have a friend who kills several birds with his recurve every spring in Florida and Georgia. He often sets up his blind in plain sight of a gobbler's roost tree before daylight, and he kills most of his birds at ranges of 10-15 yards.

On our lease we setup a few double bull blinds in strategic places where we have observed turkey activity near field edges and in the woods. Most of the times I like to hunt a roosted bird from in the woods but on those drizzly quiet mornings when not much is happening its nice to have those blinds setup and ready and alot of times we'll see action.

Carrying them around is a pain..its nice to have a plan b when your getting soaked or its real windy / cold.

Edited by LI OUTDOORSMAN
  • Like 1