2 Bills to address deer poaching....

growalot

10 years ago I was out on opening day of bow in morning just as sun came up I heard a gun shot on the property line about 400 yds away.  Make a long story short I kinda know who it was and I called DEC on them. I waited around for them and nothing.  i was not even anonymous gave them my information too.  They never came.  2 hours later these humps were at the cumberland farms parking lot with big buck in the back of truck.  DEC never even came out there.  I called again and they said "  they are looking into it and that they got bombarded with the same type of complaint that morning" 

But i got them boarding my boat looking to see if I have my free marine license on me.  There a friggin joke

• Like 1

Bingo...that happens more often than not.....

I have to laugh...complain openly about this..... your a whiner and a nuisance to them...

Talk about what is going in with no results.... your some how not doing enough and part of the problem.

Put up all the rules and fines you want...but when the DEC doesn't have enough man power or individual units in their ranks with poor leadership...not all regions are equal as it were... then the rules and fines are as good as the paper they are written on.

Edited by growalot

With a higher fine, they should give reward money to anyone who provides a tip that leads to a fine/prosecution. That'll alleviate some of the problem of not having enough DEC officers to catch the poachers. Maybe not all but certainly some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bingo...that happens more often than not.....

I have to laugh...complain openly about this..... your a whiner and a nuisance to them...

Talk about what is going in with no results.... your some how not doing enough and part of the problem.

Put up all the rules and fines you want...but when the DEC doesn't have enough man power or individual units in their ranks with poor leadership...not all regions are equal as it were... then the rules and fines are as good as the paper they are written on.

I would love to see their staffing contributes to directly based on the fines handed out. Their budgets aren't funded that way but they could be. If people got involved and pushed for a change.

if you look at the amount of ECO's assigned to some areas, it's pretty obvious why they can't be everywhere at once or follow up on complaints in a timely manner......some counties have only two, and I'm pretty sure they aren't working 24 hours a day.

• Like 1

It's important to do a lot of the leg work for them as they can't. So many calls that end up being rumor compared to what happened. Video on your phone, trail camera pics or anything else helps. If you see something going down don't report it after the fact. Do so while it's happening. Not saying this wasn't done. Just saying ECO can't be everywhere, police, and CSI. If there's road hunters or a lot of shots during archery get them to put up Robo deer. Record times when shots are heard or seen happening. It all helps.

• Like 1

10 years ago I was out on opening day of bow in morning just as sun came up I heard a gun shot on the property line about 400 yds away.  Make a long story short I kinda know who it was and I called DEC on them. I waited around for them and nothing.  i was not even anonymous gave them my information too.  They never came.  2 hours later these humps were at the cumberland farms parking lot with big buck in the back of truck.  DEC never even came out there.  I called again and they said "  they are looking into it and that they got bombarded with the same type of complaint that morning" 

But i got them boarding my boat looking to see if I have my free marine license on me.  There a friggin joke

Yup same here..I have a small soybean/corn field that sits on a road that nobody lives on, every year within a day or two of the first snow there is drag marks out of that field from overnight without gutting. I hunt a night hunt and come back to hunt the next morning before daylight and bingo, Drag Marks!  Many shot in that field and never recovered because they got scared or whatever.

I called a couple different times to have them set the dummy deer up there and promised them they would get spotlighters at the very least but more than likley shooters. Was told twice someone would get back to me and once was told that they prob would not have time to do it?

That field has been taken care of and we now manage the deer on our properties as we see fit. Tags no tags..Hunters no hunters..They have no time.

But on a side note, I do know their numbers are stretched pretty thin. So if they dont have time to catch poachers then how do they have time to manage the deer?  We got it covered for them.

We all understand how thin the DEC's enforcement line is. And I have no difficulty imagining how frustrating it must be to not be able to field every complaint that comes in. But there really is no excuse for not getting back with a complainant with a status, or even an up-front admission that they might not be able to get to every complaint received rather than just leaving those reporting crimes just hanging. If you are serious about promoting citizen involvement in reporting violations, you cannot simply ignore the complaints that people do take the time to report.

So what is the solution and what have each of us done to help push for it. And no. Bitching about it doesn't count

I guess you could say the solution would be to hire many more ECO's, which I doubt is going to happen any time soon.....you could also train Local Police in The ECL and have them respond to these calls as well, which would also cost money and infringe on the duties of another agency, so that would probably be like pulling teeth....there is no easy solution.....what have I done? since there is an almost nonexistent poaching problem were I live and haven't experienced it as a major problem when I do travel to hunt, I haven't done anything........but then again I don't bitch about it either.

As long as wildlife management is looked at as discretionary spending by the state government, and state budgets are balanced by withholding funding from the DEC, nothing can be done about the poaching situation.

But I wonder if an agency who seems to worry only about eliminating deer from the landscape are really putting forth a maximum effort in fighting poaching. Apparently we have two competing philosophies at work in the DEC. One half concentrates on how to whack on the deer population while they are also want to give the appearance that they need to safeguard the herd with strict poaching enforcement. I wonder which philosophy is winning out?

• Like 2

from what I understand, the Law Enforcement part of the DEC is separate from the Wildlife management part.......unless they are being told not to respond to those calls???????? from my dealings with Police Dept.'s and the way they operate, if someone calls 911 an Officer responds regardless of how petty or ridiculous the call or complaint may be, not responding isn't an option....maybe they weed out the calls due to the volume and their inability to handle each and every one because of manpower issues??

Just FYI, in the thread regarding the ridiculous "doe only" regs coming down the pipe (which I dont' want this thread to turn into), I quoted a DEC official who told me that there are 4 or 5 other action items that were shot down that the public didn't even know about.

One of them had to do with penelties for poaching. 

Does that say enought about our state?  and our DEC?  When they cosider the ILLEGAL shooting of an animal not serious enought to pass an better reg??

Lets put it this way folks, NY being a liberal state, they allow illegal aliens to stay here, commit crimes and live a happy criminal life.  You REALLy think they are going to pass illegal hunting laws when they can't even pass illegal citizen laws?

sad!

Just FYI, in the thread regarding the ridiculous "doe only" regs coming down the pipe (which I dont' want this thread to turn into), I quoted a DEC official who told me that there are 4 or 5 other action items that were shot down that the public didn't even know about.

Does that say enought about our state?  and our DEC?  When they cosider the ILLEGAL shooting of an animal not serious enought to pass an better reg??

Lets put it this way folks, NY being a liberal state, they allow illegal aliens to stay here, commit crimes and live a happy criminal life.  You REALLy think they are going to pass illegal hunting laws when they can't even pass illegal citizen laws?

sad!

for whatever reason DEC wasn't expressing much of any interest at all to get this in motion, for whatever reason.  so the it had to be done is to go through legislative bodies like senate and assembly.  if you don't stand by this and instead what for DEC to make the changes, it'll never happen.

sad!

The DEC has no power to make ANY changes to the poaching laws. it is Legislative NOT a regulation.

The DEC has no power to make ANY changes to the poaching laws. it is Legislative NOT a regulation.

"Legislative" meaning Legislators, a group of useless people who rely on input of others.  In this case, the NYS DEC officials!

Legilators don't enact anything under their own research or information, but rely on others to feed them bills to be passed.

IF the DEC wanted to push through tougher penalties, they could have done so.  There is NO voice in our DEC that is for our wildlife or against the criminals who are taking it away from us.

"Legislative" meaning Legislators, a group of useless people who rely on input of others.  In this case, the NYS DEC officials!

Legilators don't enact anything under their own research or information, but rely on others to feed them bills to be passed.

IF the DEC wanted to push through tougher penalties, they could have done so.  There is NO voice in our DEC that is for our wildlife or against the criminals who are taking it away from us.

Have you sent letters or emails in in support of these two bills?

I could think of 3800 additional reasons and years of hind sight that would cause a poacher to think twice.  many of you seem to have the mindset that all poachers are the same and they're not.  I think this would deter most of them.  except the very hardcore boldest ones.  then if they get caught, especially more than once, they won't be able to afford to do it again.  the only reason I can think of why someone would seemingly ignore this as a good thing is an unknown fact they probably have a bait pile at their honey hole and they're afraid it'll come back to bite them.  any step in the right direction is something worth while.  here in NY we've got to take what we can get.