NH Bans MMS or Wireless Cams

It all comes down to what is considered fair chase.  If someone gets a wireless picture sent to them and then they run over to the property to make the kill, would you consider that "fair" chase?  I don't think I would.  Would this be against Boone & Crocket regulations?  I think it might be.

Is it any different than a farmer that sees the deer at the property because he works the field all day and decides to go chase him?   Clearly it puts someone who doesn't live at their hunting property on more even footing with those that do.  I also think the "go get him now" scenario is pretty unlikely and not how most MMS users intend to use the cam.  In the end, use what you want as long as its legal.

Edited by moog5050

Is it any different than a farmer that sees the deer at the property because he works the field all day and decides to go chase him?   Clearly it puts someone who doesn't live at their hunting property on more even footing with those that do.  I also think the "go get him now" scenario is pretty unlikely and not how most MMS users intend to use the cam.  In the end, use what you want as long as its legal.

I would agree that it would be unlikely, but NOT impossible.  It definitely COULD give a hunter a very considerable advantage.

Can someone answer my question about B&C regulations?  Would a trophy buck get entered into the book if it were proven that a drone or wireless camera was used and then the hunter went to the location to make the kill?  I think I'd be surprised if they were OK with such a scenario.

It all comes down to what is considered fair chase.  If someone gets a wireless picture sent to them and then they run over to the property to make the kill, would you consider that "fair" chase?  I don't think I would.  Would this be against Boone & Crocket regulations?  I think it might be.

Of course it's against their fair chase, they raised stink about lighted nocks. Where's any legit rationale for that? Finding your arrow? 

Pay them to get your buck scored, pay them to get your buck entered into their private recordbook, and somehow they can determine to you what is fair chase even if you don't submit? I think not.

For not much more than you spend on your trailcams you can get a good one GPS enabled, live camera feed, the whole 9 yards.

I own and move enough trail cams my wife doesn't notice. She will notice a drone because I will inevitably do something very husband-ish with it at some point, like flying it into the shower as she is washing her hair.

I would agree that it would be unlikely, but NOT impossible.  It definitely COULD give a hunter a very considerable advantage.

Can someone answer my question about B&C regulations?  Would a trophy buck get entered into the book if it were proven that a drone or wireless camera was used and then the hunter went to the location to make the kill?  I think I'd be surprised if they were OK with such a scenario.

I am completely stymied why you give B&C so much credibility. I don't give a rat's butt what they consider allowable into their private recordbook.

You want to see an archaic group crumble - wait until a new #1 is shot using this technology.

I am the furthest thing from a trophy hunter, but like them or not, they have been the BOOK that the trophy hunter measures his trophies by.  You guys are the ones who talk about the big deer you've seen or shot by the B&C standards of measurement, and you don't talk about them using JimBob's standards of measurements or Bubba's standards of measurement, so as archaic group you think they are, they still have considerable relevance in this game.

Edited by steve863

Some consider any pictures of game on a trail "cheating" so who is to say what is considered fair chase. 

If I know a doe goes to the same field every day with a trail cam then I did not do very much to "hunt" that animal.  I think  trail cams are fun but give a advantage most hunters would never have unless they stayed in the woods at all times which is impossible. 

Drones and MMS take that advantage to the limits and should be banned during hunting season.  Technology advances every day.  What about a drone with a gun?  Then the drone can be programed to cut up and deliver your meat?  LOL 

• Like 1

I am the furthest thing from a trophy hunter, but like them or not, they have been the BOOK that the trophy hunter measures his trophies by.  You guys are the ones who talk about the big deer you've seen or shot by the B&C standards of measurement, and you don't talk about them using JimBob's standards of measurements or Bubba's standards of measurement, so as archaic group you think they are, they still have considerable relevance in this game.

I personally talk gross score, B&C goes by net. I dont think deductions are a fair measurement, the deer should get credit for every inch of antler thats there.

• Like 1

And you better believe when money is to be made by a new #1 that is shot with tech outside the regs for B&C, they are going to have serious issues.

For example, when someone shoots a 250" typical (I know I know) with a lighted nock or a less than 30" ATA bow and it's not allowable in their books, the B&C will either crumble from their perch if they resist or swallow their pride and let it in, at which point they also fall from their perch.

Just because they set a measurement standard doesn't mean they set a fair chase standard that goes beyond their books or commonality.

I can see banning drones for active hunting purposes, but scouting pre or post season? Are you sure they banned it for all use or just during open hunting seasons? The article I read sounded like it was just for hunting, not pre or post season scouting.

and if drones are still legal not in season, who's to say you're not just taking pictures of nature? for that matter why can't i fly my drone in season and take pics of nature?

• Like 1

I personally talk gross score, B&C goes by net. I dont think deductions are a fair measurement, the deer should get credit for every inch of antler thats there.

same here.  give IT credit for what God let it grow.  if it wasn't for the traditional and mythical look of a large typical rack I'd say we should base it on weight of bone.  I once held a both sides to a typical and symmetrical 6 pointer and they were probably the heaviest set of bone I've ever been in the presence of.  score added to nothing but it was impressive.  index finger and thumb wouldn't touch mid beam.

I've seen where really good drone operators filming for TV show aerial shots even ended up in the trees or brush.  I think drones have their place and it isn't really in hunting.  only thing I've really had the itch to use is a MMS/wireless cam.  haven't justified buying one though.