NH Bans MMS or Wireless Cams

New Hampshire banned drones, smart rifles, and MMS/wireless cams for use in hunting seasons.

The cam law as written is really crummy even outside of their respective use in transmitting pics of game. Landowners can no longer use them to patrol their property during hunting season if they too hunt. This is important because about 50% of these types of cams are used for protection of property/trespassing/poaching, etc.

New Hampshire banned drones, smart rifles, and MMS/wireless cams for use in hunting seasons.

The cam law as written is really crummy even outside of their respective use in transmitting pics of game. Landowners can no longer use them to patrol their property during hunting season if they too hunt. This is important because about 50% of these types of cams are used for protection of property/trespassing/poaching, etc.

What is a "Smart Rifle"?

Regarding the cams, I think people really over-estimate the advantages. Drones ..... watch out for these. I think they have a much larger potential for mis-use than most people can even imagine.

That's funny that such things would be made into law by a state that has the motto "Live Free or Die" ..... lol.

• Like 4

Saw a drone in action a few weeks ago. I was amazed at the video quality. I hope nys puts together some legislation to ban drones for scouting wild game. Cameras are one thing but the drones are a unfair advantage imo.

As much as I think ethics and morals come into play, the effort to resist change should be spent wisely with regard to hunting.

I am not a tech wizard or geek, yet I have a smartphone attached to my hip and use MMS cams. The cams keep me engaged in hunting in ways that keep me hunting when free time is at an ever-increasing premium. I'm in that transitional generation that grew up as a kid just as the first home PCs were really getting to mass market. I still remember what it is like having to talk to my best friend's parent's when I called them on their house phone. The following generation doesn't know life without the internet and personal technology. Keeping a pursuit to the ethical standards of yesteryear is one surefire way to limit growth or sustenance of the hunting population. I am sure there are lines drawn somewhere, but we need to realize technology is here to stay in the sport and in reality, always has been in some capacity - cams on bows, rifled barrels, etc.

• Like 2

hhhmmm didn't I see this coming last year I believe...

Kind of easy when other states had already banned them by that point....drones mms cams, etc. have been illegal in states prior to NH this year.

I get all that, that technology is advancing and it has advanced with hunting weapons, equipment, etc., BUT how far will things go?  From some peoples perspective (including my own) hunting is still a throw back to a primal way of life.  Yeah, we have much more advanced weapons than the caveman did, but a modern day hunter should still possess similar skills as that caveman.  These days people don't want to drag them out, skin them, gut or process deer themselves anymore, so where does that leave us?  If we bag something we are proud of our hunting prowess and will brag about it to whomever wants to listen, yet how much REAL hunting skills do we possess?  Add wireless cameras, drones, etc. to the scenario and true hunting skills will diminish even more.  All we will be is triggermen and nothing more.

Edited by steve863
  • Like 2

curious why you feel that way?

Look at Alaska. You can not hunt the same day you fly into an area to hunt. I feel that an arial view is far more useful in identifying where deer are versus a camera. I use cameras but I still need to collect the card and download the photos. I typically do not download photos until I am home. The pictures are great, but I dont use them to ambush game, where I could see people doing this with drones.

Look at Alaska. You can not hunt the same day you fly into an area to hunt. I feel that an arial view is far more useful in identifying where deer are versus a camera. I use cameras but I still need to collect the card and download the photos. I typically do not download photos until I am home. The pictures are great, but I dont use them to ambush game, where I could see people doing this with drones.

mms photos sent real time to your phone.  similar result as a drone.

You don't need a drone.  If you had a wireless camera that could send back pictures, I could see how someone could get themselves into the area quickly and possibly make a kill.  Not that this will work in all cases, but it could definitely give a hunter a MAJOR advantage that he would never have had without such technology.

• Like 1

I get all that, that technology is advancing and it has advanced with hunting weapons, equipment, etc., BUT how far will things go?  From some peoples perspective (including my own) hunting is still a throw back to a primal way of life.  Yeah, we have much more advanced weapons than the caveman did, but a modern day hunter should still possess similar skills as that caveman.  These days people don't want to drag them out, skin them, gut or process deer themselves anymore, so where does that leave us?  If we bag something we are proud of our hunting prowess and will brag about it to whomever wants to listen, yet how much REAL hunting skills do we possess?  Add wireless cameras, drones, etc. to the scenario and true hunting skills will diminish even more.  All we will be is triggermen and nothing more.

People said the same thing with all of the other developments that have changed hunting in the past starting at the point where it was no longer solely about sustenance on a life/death basis. Your argument is circular to a degree because it never stops. I think we all agree that sometimes change isn't the best course of action, yet at the same time, is inevitable. At that point, we just have to deal with it.

I think the biggest benefit of the MMS is to try to pattern deer without entering the area.  Maybe you could get a photo and sneak in if you live close by, but that is not what I would consider the advantage of an MMS.  Really its used the same as any camera without the intrusion to check the cards.  Can be frustrating as heck when you aren't there hunting during the season and Mr. Big pops up on your phone.  Not that that ever happened to me.  lol

BTW - in light of my view of their use, I really don't think of them as much more of an advantage than non-MMS cams.  Saves a few trips to check cards and less disturbance.  If you don't like MMS, I assume you would also be against non-MMS cam use, which is fine.  Its all where each individual hunter wants to draw the line in terms of fair chase I guess.  Same could be said for compound vs. recurve, etc.

Edited by moog5050

I can see banning drones for active hunting purposes, but scouting pre or post season? Are you sure they banned it for all use or just during open hunting seasons? The article I read sounded like it was just for hunting, not pre or post season scouting.

Hunting season from what i read.

Drones add value to me on recovery and in scouting. I want to talk my wife into letting me get one, but not there yet. 

• Like 1

You don't need a drone.  If you had a wireless camera that could send back pictures, I could see how someone could get themselves into the area quickly and possibly make a kill.  Not that this will work in all cases, but it could definitely give a hunter a MAJOR advantage that he would never have had without such technology.

Is a major advantage bad? I'm not making my own flint broadheads, so maybe my Grim Reapers or Thunderheads are a major advantage. Darn those precision machinists making surgical quality broadheads.

It's circular. Every generation goes through it.

Edited by phade

Drones add value to me on recovery and in scouting. I want to talk my wife into letting me get one, but not there yet. 

Get one and then we can lose it in the swamp, just like I did with my son's in the field behind my house.  lol

Get one and then we can lose it in the swamp, just like I did with my son's in the field behind my house.  lol

These ones have GPS locaters and a "fly back to home base" mode if anything goes wrong, ha.

If I get one I'll probably just have your son fly it...I suspect he could be a master in a few minutes as compared to me or you.

These ones have GPS locaters and a "fly back to home base" mode if anything goes wrong, ha.

If I get one I'll probably just have your son fly it...I suspect he could be a master in a few minutes as compared to me or you.

I will admit that I pretty much failed badly on my first attempt.  $100 out the window in five minutes of "fun."  The video was cool was my son flew it though.   

Is a major advantage bad? I'm not making my own flint broadheads, so maybe my Grim Reapers or Thunderheads are a major advantage. Darn those precision machinists making surgical quality broadheads.

It's circular. Every generation goes through it.

It all comes down to what is considered fair chase.  If someone gets a wireless picture sent to them and then they run over to the property to make the kill, would you consider that "fair" chase?  I don't think I would.  Would this be against Boone & Crocket regulations?  I think it might be.

For not much more than you spend on your trailcams you can get a good one GPS enabled, live camera feed, the whole 9 yards.