Too much damage

Caveman

I got a deer with the ML yesterday (never butchered a ML shot deer).  Holy crap there was a lot of damage.  Neither side of ribs was usable and most of the near shoulder was done too.  This is on top of the fact that it was a small deer to begin with so I really didn't get much off of it.  Anyone else have the problem that their ML does too much damage?

nope... i used to have the same issue then I decided to take a far different approach.  i practiced and got pretty good with the accuracy then started shooting them in the neck.  the benefits are - they just drop without even wiggling a toe and, to your point, there is nearly no damage to the deer (meat). 

shoot your muzzleloader until you're certain of a 3 - 3 1/2 inch group at 100 yards - this will build confidence then wait until the deer looks up to look around then touch off. 

best regards -

I'm shooting consistent 2 in groups at 100 yards so that doesn't worry me, and as for shot placement, that was a hard lesson learned.  I shot to put it down quick rather than preserve meat.  Absolutely shreaded the heart.  Just had to make it through the shoulder and ribs to get there.

What bullet,powder and distance was it shot at.And when you say small,are you talking 100lbs or so.

Internal performance to me is good,even if some meat is lost.Shooting at the neck is not my stye,works for some just I would rather a heart shot.No wrong or right.As long as you harvest the deer.

Internal performance to me is good,even if some meat is lost.

Agreed 8)

oh I know.  Tjey are devastating. But as I sai dI would bet a slug form a 20 gauge or 12 or a rifle bullet would do as much damage.

Not if ya hit 'em with all 5 warning shots. ;D

• 2 months later...

punch em thru the lungs, shoulder shots ruin meat! just think of a muzzleloader as a long renge bow! I learned the hard way round balls that flatten out to 50cent size thru the shoulders now a nice simple entrance in and out thru the ribs=dead deer and good meat!

placement and Angle of the shot is everything. 100 grains of powder and 250 grain hornady should produce nice neat holes through the ribs. If you want to see damage shoot one through the shoulders with a hornady XTP hollow point. Rushed a shot one time and hit through both shoulders, what a mess, could almost put my whole hand in the hole.

I have to comment on the "try" a neck shot........................

First off the damage you are seeing could be a combination of several issues, shot placement and/or bullet selection. If you are aiming for the frt. shoulder expect huge damage and loses. You have multiple layers of muscle and bone to contend with and a limited area of vital organs that far forward.

How much meat is actually use from the rib cage area (very little to be honest). You have a much larger area that produces a kill shot (lungs & liver) Heart shots are lethal, but you almost always loose one shoulder if not both.

Now, back to the "neck" shot, I have seen way to many deer hit in the necks that did nothing but wound the animal...................unless you are really good and do a lot of shooting and know exactly where your gun hits, I don't recommend neck shots. Think about it, if you can't hit the deer broadside in the rib cage, what makes someone think they can hit the spine in the neck and kill it.

Have I ever shot deer in the neck.....................................yep, plenty of times. Actually, it I am not looking to mount it, anything within 50 yds is a head or neck shot with my slug gun. No tracking, little to no waste. (besides the neck meat is some of the tastiest meat on a deer is slow cooked properly)

But, I have spent/spend countless hr. shooting at the range and know exactly how my guns shoot and what to expect from them and myself.

As far as the topic of damage goes........................change bullet selection and shot placement.

FDXX75

IMO the neck is a horrible target, too easy to screw the pooch with a muffed shot.

I shoot to kill and the lungs are the biggest target.  Keep it tight in behind the front shoulder.  5lbs of ground is a small price to pay.

If  your afraid your deer is going to head for the neighbors property, knock out the front running gear and that should shut  things down PDQ.