Anyone into mountain biking?

burmjohn

I have a pretty rugged county trail park just 5 miles from home so I do a lot of biking there in the summer.

Some of the trails are rather treacherous with 100ft+ cliffs just feet from the twisty rooted trails. I'll have to grab a few pics next time I'm there.

I've been beating this bike up for about 5 years now and thinking it may be time for a new one, but I'll probably wait till next spring with that.

Since I quit smoking almost a year ago, I really enjoy being able to push my physical limits way beyond the casual rides I used to take here.

014-22.jpg

• Like 1

It's kind of a sore subject with me. I watched some prime hunting land totally destroyed with a maze of bike trails that makes it impossible to hunt a large area of what use to be very productive deer country. Splotches of paint dot the trees, (as if there was some way that somebody could get lost on those rutted, eroded trails). The ground is permanently marked with ruts and erosion as thoroughly as if it had been done with dirt bikes or ATVs. The trails so thoroughly canvass the area that throughout that whole area, you are never out of earshot, and view of the packs of mountain bikers hooting and hollering throughout the hill. It certainly has changed the nature and atmosphere of the hill and impacted the daytime patterns of the deer.

Oh I wish but the knees said no( Doctors said no as well) I use to ride around Avon  when we lived there...then got rid of all the bikes when we moved to the hill...Mom thing, too steep and I remember zipping through the stop sign at the end of our road when I was a teenager...something about that particular country intersection. My self and many others seem to miss the sign..and it's right at one of the steepest parts of our road, as I've mentioned...are hill scares me even in the car.

Though I do now ride 5 miles every other day just going no where at the gym...I loved riding bike there is a freedom in it....

Used to...still have my Trek in the shed. My back just can't handle it any longer. My wife and I keep talking about getting into riding the Erie canal path but its too far of a drive for us to really make it worthwhile on a regular basis. Our immediate area is about as boring as can be for biking, whether street or trail riding...nearest area worth it is a solid 35 minute drive away. We walk much more now as a result. Definitely planning one or two weekend mornings on the canal, but that's going to be pretty darn leisurely as it'll involve a breakfast stop most likely. The big allure to riding for me was being able to go right from my door, and I never realized it until I moved to an area that was just boring to ride in.

Not a mt biker, but during the Spring and Summer I ride 50 miles per week on a road bike.  Basically just for the exercise.  Have been doing this for years and used to ride way more in the past.  My kids are getting older and have now started enjoying cycling also.  We've been going out at least once on the weekends and we do another 5-10 miles together which is a lot of fun.  I guess mt biking could be fun, but most people have to travel a good distance to do it.  Biking on the road I ride right out of my garage, so you can't beat that for convenience.

I do from time to time. Not as much as I used to though. I like riding the old railroad bed trails around here. Ill do 20+ miles at a crack. I have a Trek 3900 disc, just like this...

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2012/archive/trek/3900_disc/#/us/en/archive-model/details?url=us/en/bikes/2012/archive/trek/3900_disc

Love that bike. Light, nimble and smooth. The disc brakes are the cats ass.

• Like 1

We have some really nice trails not to far of a drive from us but sadly a mountain bike that I can thrash in the woods and bring back in one piece is not in the budget right now. I have one that I ride on street and see how long I can ride the back tire.

Hunters Creek park in Marilla, NY is awesome for mountain biking. It will severely kick your a$$ if you ride it hard. Oh wait, there's no easy riding there .

Hunters Creek trail park is the one I ride in, but it's actually in South Wales.

It gets pretty hairy up near the Centerline Rd end along the creek before the bridge. Heading down towards Rt. 78 is a leisurely ride winding up and down the ridges.

Great place to just tie the bike to a tree and hike around for the day if you got nothing better to do.

Don't forget the camera..... lots of critters running around in there too. Lots of room to roam and no hunting make it a great outdoors escape for anyone just outside of the Buffalo area.

Very clean and quiet country setting as well!

• Like 1

Hunters Creek trail park is the one I ride in, but it's actually in South Wales.

It gets pretty hairy up near the Centerline Rd end along the creek before the bridge. Heading down towards Rt. 78 is a leisurely ride winding up and down the ridges.

Great place to just tie the bike to a tree and hike around for the day if you got nothing better to do.

Don't forget the camera..... lots of critters running around in there too. Lots of room to roam and no hunting make it a great outdoors escape for anyone just outside of the Buffalo area.

Very clean and quiet country setting as well!

Oops, Yes South Wales.

Daughter and I hike there from time to time. We enjoy lifting rocks in the small run offs and looking for salamanders. Seen many a turkey and deer about. Normally we run into very few people as well.

• Like 1