What's the earliest you've seeded brassicas here in NY?

first week in june.  whatever is in Antler King Honey Hole.  it was a year with very mild fall and early winter.  did well but didn't see much action until 2nd week in Dec.  1/4 acre staging area plots that had the adjacent main food source (corn) harvested off 3rd week in October.

With the fore cast....I'm not sure I'll be able to get any thing in even for fall :negative::sorry:

We have bare ground right now...not ideal conditions but had to disc it due to timing. Trying to determine seeding timeframes. I still think we're a little early for our area for athena rape and daikon. Cornell has our avg. first frost between Oct. 10 and 20. Would like to make it to last weekend in July before seeding them both and prefer not to make two separate trips to do the rape before the radish.

Edited by phade

I'm not a fan of rape...but if the planting is to be a now through winter one Daikon would do you well with turnips...the reason I say this is experience has shown the deer to come in for the Daikon tops well before frost times and the turnips would put on a really good bulb size planted now...and once frozen even huge turnips will be hollowed out during the winter. The Daikon roots freeze then turn to mush fairly quickly so bringing deer in early and regularly makes them a good combination....

We usually get them in sometime in July.

Our ridge top plots will be ok to plant mid July, but our bottom plots are like peanut butter. I have no idea what to do with those if this rain keeps up. Hopefully it slows down. The majority of our plots will be in Brassicas and Winter Rye this year.

Grow - we're really not looking much for food options beyond December at this parcel. We couldn't plant enough forage if the entire acreage we hunt was one big brassica/WR/WW plot to get the deer through winter in that area. Rape tends to be grazed prior to turnips so that's why we went with that.

It's more or less a hopeful way to set up a bed to food to bed pattern that can be hunted later in season.

• Like 1

What happens if planted too early? too much browse pressure or lack of growth? you guys are making me second guess now lol

you need to know the maturity date on your selected brassica seed.  if planted too early you have the chance of bolting (going to seed)  when this happens it becomes very unpalatable to deer, they will not eat it.

• Like 2

So 56 and rain/fog here...deluge yesterday. On the way back from the gym I stopped at the lower field...sunk to my ankles and it has filled back in with grass and weeds...no planting until I spray....Might have to do that by hand...upper field clover was coming in great then a weed bloom took over...alfalfa section looking good so far all the rest...standing water....Thank heavens some oaks are producing ...beech and hophorn are loaded and the apples are all doing great.