What kind of Fishing?

Bleitten04

What kind of Fishing do you like better?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Fishing do you like better?

• Ice Fishing
    • Regular Fishing

I have a boat on a reservoir here in Putnam. I'm also walking distance to other water and or various rivers & streams.

I spin cast or fly fish, it just depends on the day.

I just don't care to ice fish...Winter is for hunting...and since ML is over...it's time to take out the .22 Mag!

I went ice fishing one year when I was a teenager. We used tip-ups and were fishing for pickerel. The first time the action was crazy. We had periods of time where we were just running from one tip-up to another. It was tough to keep up. That was a great time and I had a ball. The next three times out (which by the way were also the last 3 times I ever went ice fishing), were super-slow and in fact two of the three days we caught nothing. So to simply say it was boring is an under-statement.

Doc

This one is a tough one for me to anwser. I fish the Salmon River for winter steelhead and some people would call that ice fishing, but I am fishing open water. Yes there is ice on the edges of the river and sometimes slush coming down river. When jigging through the ice ,most people use short jig poles. (2 to 3 feet long) and most people who fish regular use a pole that is ( 5 to 8 feet long). When I fish for steelhead, I use what is called a noodle rod that is 13 and 1/2 feet long. I don't know what to call it , other than winter steelhead fishing.

Ice fishing hands down.

I don't think a lot of guys like ice-fishing because it takes some work to find the fish but once you do it just as good as the summer if not better.

I travel lite no shelter no power auger no tip-ups that crap only slows you down.

I like to panfish and once i find the fish usually i cant keep two rods in the water at the same time.

Finding the fish is key i might travel a couple miles and punch more than 50 holes before i hit the jackpot.

If you ever see a guy way out beyond everyone else sitting on a bucket with his back to the wind its me or if there is two guys i got my buddy with me.

Is ice fishing any fun? The whole cut a hole sit and wait thing would drive me nuts I think.

Ice Fishing is very fun to me anyways.  I have a blast.  It helps that I limit out almost everytime I go for perch lol.  When you go for bigger ones it can get a bit slower but still can be a blast.  I'll post a picture a little later of my catch the other day up at Sodus Bay. 

Depends where your fishing.  If your fishing in a place where there is a lot of perch like I do then I suggest using a jigging pole or two with a swedish pimple on the bottom of your line and a shrimpo about 10 in. above it.  You can place minnows or even fish eyes lol on the hooks to entice fish to bite.  Lately I haven't used tip ups for perch.  If I do use my tip ups I usually put a big bass minnow on there and try to catch some pike or something bigger.   

• 2 weeks later...

Regular fishing...... Never been ice fishing.

My favorite

50-75 miles out on the gulf getting amberjack..... Damn hard fighter.... Mahi mahi and goliath grouper..... Hook into one of them and you and at least 1 other in your party are spending an hour each to get them up from the bottom

Regular fishing...... Never been ice fishing.

My favorite

50-75 miles out on the gulf getting amberjack..... Damn hard fighter.... Mahi mahi and goliath grouper..... Hook into one of them and you and at least 1 other in your party are spending an hour each to get them up from the bottom

My wife and I went deep sea fishing on our honeymoon in Cozumel.  It was fun, but sadly it was the wrong season for just about everything (middle of July).  We ended up catching 2 baracuda and 2 red snapper.  They were all in the 30" range, so nothing to wring home about, but it was still a lot of fun.

• 1 month later...

I am one of them "soft water" fishermen.

I love to fish walleye and perch on Lake Erie, also chase salmon on Lake Ontario.

Then steelies in the winter months after deer season, on Niagara River and at Burt (if there is enough water moving)

I love all kinds of fishing....I guess I would have to say that I like open water fishing better than ice fishing mostly because there is such a variety of methods involved and species available..

I like stream fishing for trout, with either dry flies, nymphs, bait or hardware/lures...

I like light tackle spinning, especially with my homemade hair jigs..I fish them in the local rivers and The Finger Lakes, as well as other lakes, and I catch lots of fish them, from panfish to pike...

I like lake trout fishing, especially vertical jigging, but I also enjoy trolling...

I like panfishing for bluegills, sunfish, perch, and crappies , both using small artificials and using bait...

I like sitting on the riverbank or pond dike and soaking nitecrawlers  for bullheads...

Ice fishing has it's own appeal also..Nothing TASTES better than frim filets of perch or bluegills taken from that ice cold water...

Did I say I love FISHING...??... ;D ... ;D ... ;D ...

Stream trout here (partial to Brookies but I fish them all)... fly or spin rod... no live bait ever...catch and release always, but for one day a year when I bring my coleman stove and cook up some trout right there by the stream... my lure of choice is a Panther Martin, which I use exclusively.. with the fly rod I use whatever flies the trout will hit on, but I favor a Hendrickson or Blue Dunn

• 5 weeks later...