Promoting nature amongst minorities

Elmo

I really wanted to leave this alone but..Here goes...I put a book in my pants to help ease the pain from the boots about to hit my a$$.

"Inner city youths" and minorities is an odd way to still keep putting it these days. in my area, which is considered low income or "slum" if you like, white people of any age are out numbered about 6:1 by all other ethnicities. But, I don't think that matters anymore.

It comes down to prying kids away from the cell phone, Face Book, game consoles, and flat out having no interest in anything not associated with technology. Sleeping in a tent and waking up to a great view of a lake isn't something many kids want to take part in. 

I am not saying all, but most kids brought up in a city or even rural environment have no interest being in the woods any more. I also hate to say this as well, but most parents are either too busy or just don't care about the outdoors them selves.

We live in a time where even adults can't be anywhere without a cell phone connected to the web. So you expect kids to be any different?

Some of these programs work to a small extent. But most don't.

NOTE! This is just my personal point of view! Not intended to troll, font war, disrespect, or otherwise create chaos.

Where in the hell in this post did I state a race issue? I said all ethnicities! You mean this: 6:1? That's a damn fact where I live! Not a racist comment, a fact! Have another drink and go to bed bkln!

My point was that sometimes these programs work, and sometimes they don't. If the parents don't have an interest in the outdoors, then how will they teach their kids to have an interest? Or, how will the kids have an interest if the parents have their head shoved up a computers 'hard-drive' or have to text every part of the day to everyone they know on Face Book? Apples don't fall far from the tree! We live what we are taught! 

Sometimes a kid will see a hunting vid and say 'Man, I want to do that!", but other times they might say that's barbaric!

Alcohol and computers don't mix! 

Edited by ....rob

It's easy to point a finger at the X-Box and iPhone and say that's the reason but that's sort of like admitting defeat.  Sure it's a tough adversary but does that mean you shouldn't try?  Generally, people won't have an interest in something if they never realize it's even an option.

I never thought of hunting and camping growing up.  No one in my family took me fishing or hiking.  I went to college in Michigan and made some friends there.  They went camping and invited me to go.  I said, sure, why not?  Fast forward almost 20 years and I'm here trying to promote outdoor activities.  I've taken a few first timers out hiking, camping, or hunting.  Some still do it.  Some were one and done.  But every single one of them has a much better appreciation for outdoor activities and now value our national parks.

In the rural parts of the state, I'm sure every kid at least has one family member who participates in outdoor activities that'll introduce them to the sport.  Even if they don't, it's right there in front of them.  In the city who doesn't have anyone to introduce them to outdoor activities and they think you have to travel to some distant unknown land to do something like that.  This is why people in the city are an untapped group because it is not like they had a choice between the X-Box and a fishing rod to choose from.  The X-Box is the only choice they think they have.

• Like 2

Many here crack me up. You guys are saying that this is being made out as a racial thing like some of you are so pro black? LOL.

Whether you want to hear it or not, the truth is that the majority of blacks are definitely NOT into the outdoors or outdoor activities. Whether it's because they can't afford it, can't get to rural places, or just a lack of interest, the facts are that only few participate. I've worked with many blacks over the years, and it was completely foreign to them that I liked outdoor activities such as hunting, hiking, etc. To most of them it seemed like a total waste of time and effort. Other races may not be interested either, but most seem at least a little more inquisitive about it. You can take this for what it's worth, but this has been my experience on this matter. There is usually a good deal of truth to most stereotypes, whether you want to accept this fact or not.

• Like 2

The entire article and the OP title for one.

'Outdoor Afro: Busting Stereotypes That Black People Don't Hike Or Camp'

Didn't you read it?

Nope!

That's what I get for drinking too much coffee until 11am.  I open my mouth,  er, fingers too quick.

regards,

Jaeger

maybe I should invent a coffeealizer?  To tell when I've had too much.

• Like 1

It's even more evident here in upstate NY where you have towns like Newburgh and Poughkeepsie where hunting and fishing opportunity's are minutes away and you have those residents who just seem to miss out on it all.

A previous poster mentioned the money barrier but back in the day the majority of NYC hunters I knew were anything but rich and even poor but managed to trek upstate NY the 10s of thousands to hunt and enjoy the outdoors.

I think alot of minorities shun the sport due to social barriers "some imagined some real" about this being a white man's game.

On the rare occasion when I see a black guy shopping bows in Gander Mountain I almost feel like going over and helping the guy.

I have had a couple of black hunting buddies myself and knew quite a few others that were just as crazy about hunting as I am. I also have met a whole pile of white people who have no use for hunting and some who are openly hostile to the idea. So I'm not so sure that the base premise of this thread is valid. Is there really any purpose of targeting any specific race when it comes to promoting hunting? I don't think so. I don't think there is any natural or cultural bias against hunting centered in any particular race of people.

look at the area of the "inner city" who would want these littering slobs in the woods anyway.  this is just someone pointing out another thing that the "white man" has that minorities dont! What a joke if you cannot afford a car you should not have kids because you probably cannot afford them.  What ever happen to wanting to work and save money and move up in the world? no need for that yet again heres a government program that will give it to them for free!  We have greater problems then showing some hoodrats the woods,

Edited by Carbonelement

Around the 1,950's Rochester saw a large number of Southern Blacks move to the area to seek work at Kodak, Xerox , B+L, Delco , Gm . Many came with a strong Southern hunting heritage , which continued here.

The reason we don't see their kids and grand kids in the woods hunting today is the same as why we don't see white kids and grand kids afield as well.

It's not a race or urban/ rural its young from all walks that need to be reintroduced .

If urban kids need a lift to the woods perhaps they could catch a lift from the Hippster hunters ....

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

I do remember a bunch of years ago when it appeared that our youngsters in the US vs. foreign future foreign work forces might eventually suffer a disadvantage in matters of technological innovation and advancement, there was a conscious effort talked about and implemented to convert our role models and heroes to technological wizards. It was talked about that our children should be looking up to computer experts and those that are brilliant in the world of technology. There was even talk of establishing a technological Olympics of sorts. Much of that came about. Competitions were established, and TV programs were begun that glorified more mental heroes, and I think that we finally got what we talked about. Kids worshipping technology and those experts in those areas instead of the sports heroes and the Arnold Swartsinegar (spelling???) and such. It was a good direction to be steering the attention of our future grads and probably still is for the good of our financial leadership and national security. But there are some side effects that we are maybe not all that comfortable with. even though that is what we needed and still do, those nasty side effects still come with all of that. Unfortunately the original natural childhood pastimes have become incompatible with the new chosen emphasis. That is just the way life goes, and maybe we just cannot reverse it all. And I imagine that we really don't even want to reverse the new religion of technology if we as a country want to remain competitive with the rest of the world.

• 3 weeks later...

a few ideas.

-Contact Church groups in the area and offer your help or advice.

-Everyboy is technology based.  Why not make a website directed towards enjoying the woods near NYC, but without vehicle transportation.  Several campground specialize in this, equipment rentals, shuttle buses to train stations, etc.  Some even have greyhound bus stops right at their driveway.

Get the site started, then post a bunch of flyers for it in areas.

Local hunting clubs in the city might be interested in helping too.  

Maybe even promoting a fair in a local park or other public meeting place.

Like someone said before, it's about money.  Maybe start a charity that collects gently used camping and outdoors gear.  They got stuff like that for work clothes for finanically challenged folks, why not do outdoor gear.  Lots of enthusiasm in NYC amoung the cyclist crowd,  maybe combine camping gear and used bicycles to the cause.

I like in the catskills, alot of frugal folkd from the city enjoy it as an affordable vacation.  Generally, people who don't have alot of money live a little more close quartered than most folks.  So, having a place to store things cna be a challenge.  Maybe have a no cost rental service.  Let's say have a place on a tuesday or wednesday night where you can borrow these things and return them next week.  Or already be there for the weekend at a campsite area.  Like north sotuh lake or something like that.  If you can find a used trailer, I am sure no park manager will say no to having you guys keep it up there for the season.

Edited by sailinghudson25

-Everyboy is technology based.  Why not make a website directed towards enjoying the woods near NYC, 

Get the site started, then post a bunch of flyers for it in areas.

Maybe even promoting a fair in a local park or other public meeting place.

Like someone said before, it's about money.  Maybe start a charity that collects gently used camping and outdoors gear. 

Good ideas. I suggested to Elmo, the OP we could help him or some other local from NYC with this. I also suggested applying for grants, perhaps the one from the NHFD site. 

We are some distance from NYC, but we are open to working with locals down there. Another option is them coming up here. We are involved with one organization doing a youth pheasant hunt for NHFD and might also launch something else around Watkins Glen. 

Might be too late for this year, but not too early for discussions about the following year. 

Good ideas. I suggested to Elmo, the OP we could help him or some other local from NYC with this. I also suggested applying for grants, perhaps the one from the NHFD site. 

We are some distance from NYC, but we are open to working with locals down there. Another option is them coming up here. We are involved with one organization doing a youth pheasant hunt for NHFD and might also launch something else around Watkins Glen. 

Might be too late for this year, but not too early for discussions about the following year. 

No takers? There is only so much we can do without cooperation.....