Opening Day Mid July

BizCT

I have watched videos on this one. I always wondered how they handled the meat after the kill. Most of what I have seen were tent camp trips. I would have to speculate they get the meat back to the main lodge pretty fast to keep it from spoiling.

My friend lives on Bainbridge island off of Seattle , he has taken Blacktail on the mainland not in July though.

He has hunted with the St. Charles family and has held most offices in Washington state bow assc . Fwiw

Haven't hunted blacktail, but I did hunt whitetail late August in South Carolina, their rifle season starts 8/15. Had on a T-shirt and light pants. In this part of PA, archery season starts mid September. I'd rather hunt in the summer than freeze in January, just need to dress right, bring some water or Gatorade, and don't forget the Thermacell. Got to get your meat in the refrigerator quick, flies are a bigger problem than meat spoilage.

• Like 2

I have watched videos on this one. I always wondered how they handled the meat after the kill. Most of what I have seen were tent camp trips. I would have to speculate they get the meat back to the main lodge pretty fast to keep it from spoiling.

it's not so different than a warm spring turkey or early season bow kill in NY. Us southerns deal with it all the way up through mid October. You get the deer gutted quickly and cut it up quick. If you're not prepared to butcher or want it to age you quarter it and pack it in a cooler but don't freeze it. Good quick, clean ethical kills are even more important when it's warm.

There's pros and cons to hot vs cold hunting. Your muscles stay loose, less baggy crap to hit your bow string, but you sweat and stink more and bugs can bother you. At the end of the day you get out there and hunt because you want to, not because the weather allows it.