Anyone hunt with a Browning Automatic Rifle

eagle rider

Sometimes when the discussion of  rifle accuracy comes up, I seem to be the only one whose rifles don't punch one hole groups at 100 yards...

Must be my Parkinson's.....

I am more then happy if my groups are inside a half dollar. A quarter is great! A nickel I do somersaults in the woods. If they touch great, if not, like I said, a 3 shot group inside a half dollar ( or even 3 inches ) is fine by me. In my opinion, if you shot at the target 5 times and theres only one hole, you probably missed the target 4 times.

Sorry, I had too add my 50cents. LOL

Now back to your topic..............I apologize for this brief interruption.

• Like 1

I hunted with a Remington 7400 carbine years ago (30-06 iron sites). It shot decent groups with the irons, but I never fired it past 60-70 yards or so. I shot a few deer with it but it liked to jam> A friend wanted it so I sold it to him and he has slayed many deer with it since then. It still jams now and then. I bought a new Remington 750 in 243 when they first came out. I topped it with a Nikon and it shot great groups at 100yds. Opening morning Im in my new stand with my new rifle and a nice buck appeared at 35-40 yards. I pull up right behind the shoulder, Im thinking "happy happy" I pull the trigger and "CLICK". I try to slowly get the round out of the chamber a new one  in but ended up dropping rounds onto the base of my metal stand "CLINK>>CLINK>CLINK" and the buck leaves in a hurry.

Still not  sure If I had a bad round or if  I didn't let the round seat fully in the chamber, because I was trying to be quiet when I loaded up, and I let the bolt forward slow and quiet rather than just letting it slam home. Either way that was the end of semis for me. Bolt actions for rifle zones and a pump for shotgun zones.

• 2 weeks later...

I hunted with a Remington 7400 carbine years ago (30-06 iron sites). It shot decent groups with the irons, but I never fired it past 60-70 yards or so. I shot a few deer with it but it liked to jam> A friend wanted it so I sold it to him and he has slayed many deer with it since then. It still jams now and then. I bought a new Remington 750 in 243 when they first came out. I topped it with a Nikon and it shot great groups at 100yds. Opening morning Im in my new stand with my new rifle and a nice buck appeared at 35-40 yards. I pull up right behind the shoulder, Im thinking "happy happy" I pull the trigger and "CLICK". I try to slowly get the round out of the chamber a new one in but ended up dropping rounds onto the base of my metal stand "CLINK>>CLINK>CLINK" and the buck leaves in a hurry.

Still not sure If I had a bad round or if I didn't let the round seat fully in the chamber, because I was trying to be quiet when I loaded up, and I let the bolt forward slow and quiet rather than just letting it slam home. Either way that was the end of semis for me. Bolt actions for rifle zones and a pump for shotgun zones.

The gun jamming issue is from residue buildup where the receiver meets the barrel. I have a 7400 and a couple others in my camp used too. We all had the issue after about 20-25 rounds. I took it to my gunsmith and he gave me a little metal brush that was bent in such a way that it would fit into the action and clean where the bullet and receiver meet the barrel. I clean it after every 10-15 rounds now and never have an issue. I've killed somewhere in the vicinity of 60 deer with it. I get 1-1.5" groups shooting Winchester Supreme ballistic silver tips through it. I've killed several deer over 100 yards with it.

As far as the Browning goes, Two of my hunting buddies shoot the BAR in 30-06. They love them and claim the recoil is less than the 7400. I shot it and didn't see much of a difference. I will say they have a much nicer boom through the woods. Not quite as loud but more throaty...nice looking gun too.

I have the BAR, and I have the Remmy 750. The BAR is definitely a finer piece. The remmy already gone back to the factory for jamming, and it still jams. The BAR never jams. Both are accurate to 100 yards. 2" I'm happy. Out to 200 yards, the groups open up wide. Very wide. I noticed the BAR will string when it gets hot.

• 1 month later...

I have used a BAR Longtrac Stalker in 30-06 for 7 years now. Its a great semiauto, not much difference in weight between my bolt guns, never had an issue with cycling, shoots 1-1.5" groups with multiple types of ammunition, and its nice to look at to top it off. Needless to say I love mine.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I was doing about .5" worse to about what you are grouping with a 270 Win. in a Oil Finish Longtrac. Maybe I was being unrealistic with what to expect from a deer rifle.  The fit and finish is beautiful and the action was smooth as glass.  No recoil whatsoever from the John Browning design just a loud bang.  

• 2 weeks later...

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun...

That the reason I'd never own a TC Contender/Encore..

They are ugly as a side order of s**t....

I have never been able to get past the stocks on those either, but you have to have a few ugly guns to make the pretty ones stand out more. It's like my Glocks setting beside my 1911's .

• Like 1