New in Wayne

Core

Briefly, never been hunting before, getting my license shortly. Only looking to deer hunt at the moment, and seeing if I can procure a bow to get a jump start on things, but if not I'll probably end up spending a couple of weeks with a shotgun staring at very little and coming away empty handed. That's my story :)

Looking for some good land around the Wayne/Monroe area, as all the public stuff is at least 40 minutes away. Will have to step up that search soon and am not opposed to paying a small bit for the privilege. 

Welcome and glad you stopped by!

With only a little over a month until the bow opener, time is getting short to be ready, if you have never shot a bow before. The best advice I can give you now, is to decide what weapon you are going to use, THIS year. Then to shoot it as much as you can until you become comfortable and proficient with it. Then you can begin your hunting adventures, wherever you hunt. Good luck this season!

• Like 2

40 minutes to an hour isn't bad to go hunt public land.

Most of where I hunt is 30-40 minutes to the public parcels that allow hunting.  Sometimes I may spend another 40 minutes finding an open parking spot, then hike in from there.

There are people who drive 1.5 hours to hunt the same public land I do.

It would be nice to just walk out the back door or have a 10 minute drive to hunt some place, but it is not the norm for most people these days.

You never know when deer may appear.  Two years ago I parked in a spot, put on my gear. and took my gun out of the case.   Walked maybe 15 yards from the car and a deer jumped up and ran over the hill.  I hadn't even loaded my gun yet.

Remember - any day out hunting is better than a day at the office.

Getting out there for fresh air, and a little exercise is good for you.

• Like 3

Thanks, all. This is an active forum as far as intro responses go!

40 min is not terrible, although I wonder about how many deer are left on public land and unfortunately with kids I don't have a ton of spare time. I am going to probably knock on a few doors locally of corn farmers and see if any will be nice enough to let me use their land.

I've fired a bow before and wasn't horrendous (the target wasn't moving), but I certainly need practice. May try and parlay the "necessity" of its purchase into a father/daughter thing if I can get my wife to go along with that and take my daughter to the range with her own bow (which she also doesn't own yet).

I'm also toying with the idea of buying a hunting rifle (only to extend range over a shotgun), but a bow is probably more up my alley because it will open up a huge amount of season and there is a range close to my work, and with a bow you don't spend $.50-1 with every shot.

It would be nice to just walk out the back door or have a 10 minute drive to hunt some place, but it is not the norm for most people these days.

Yes, it would be! Sometimes as I'm waking up in the morning I can hear guys shooting 1/2 mile from me. Now that would be convenient!

Getting out there for fresh air, and a little exercise is good for you.

I fancy the idea of sitting in a stand drinking coffee out of my thermos as the sun goes up.

But, as I may have alluded to, I'm a city boy and nobody in my family has ever hunted. Walking through the woods on a cool morning with even a small chance of seeing a deer sounds quite enjoyable and a nice change from the 12 hours/day I spend in front of a screen.

Edited by Core

Core,

Sort of get the idea.My wife was a Brooklyn girl, me from a small hick town out-state.  I got her to the suburbs and even interested in camping.  It took a few years to convince her that an empty gun, locked and in case was not going to hurt anyone. So I missed out a few years of hunting (plus the fact I moved to NY, and had to find places to hunt).

Enjoying nature although you didn't see your intend game, is great day out there.  I have had owls and hawks hang out in trees over me, squirrels climb the same tree I was sitting in, red foxes come with 30 yards or less while I was sitting still on the ground.  In the Spring during turkey season, watch small birds chase and court each other and have a young weasel pop-up 3 feet away and crawl almost under my feet.

It is tough when you have kids in sports, scouts, plays, and they participate in game tournaments. They get older and have to put in service hours to graduate.  Sometimes when there are no conflicts, you can share the time outdoors with them.  There are days that I can only hunt a half-day (weekend play, SAT tests, etc).

I have the youngest ready to purchase first hunting license to go hunting this year.  I am about to move my first one off to college, so there will be additional time spent to go visit, bring the next season of clothes, holiday breaks, etc.

You just have to take what time you can and enjoy it.  My wife says I am more relaxed and happier after coming back from hunting (even if empty handed and could hunt only half the day).

By the way squirrels and chipmunks are extremely loud in the leaves.  Sometimes you think you hear deer coming and it is the squirrels.  Later you may dismiss the sounds as the squirrels again, and it is a deer, or deer just sneak up quietly making almost no sound.

After working inside for years on computers and then go outside to hunt, you may notice the your field of vision you focus on seems small compared to the view in front of you.  After awhile, your vision will seem to cover a wider area and then going back to work, you re-adjust looking at a monitor and narrower view.

If your existing gun has the option of changing barrels, see if you can get a rifled shotgun barrel for it.  Using Sabot rounds, it puts you in the 75-150 yard ranges for deer hunting.  Should cost less than buying another gun.

Core,

Sort of get the idea.My wife was a Brooklyn girl, me from a small hick town out-state.  I got her to the suburbs and even interested in camping.  It took a few years to convince her that an empty gun, locked and in case was not going to hurt anyone. So I missed out a few years of hunting (plus the fact I moved to NY, and had to find places to hunt).

Enjoying nature although you didn't see your intend game, is great day out there.  I have had owls and hawks hang out in trees over me, squirrels climb the same tree I was sitting in, red foxes come with 30 yards or less while I was sitting still on the ground.  In the Spring during turkey season, watch small birds chase and court each other and have a young weasel pop-up 3 feet away and crawl almost under my feet.

It is tough when you have kids in sports, scouts, plays, and they participate in game tournaments. They get older and have to put in service hours to graduate.  Sometimes when there are no conflicts, you can share the time outdoors with them.  There are days that I can only hunt a half-day (weekend play, SAT tests, etc).

I have the youngest ready to purchase first hunting license to go hunting this year.  I am about to move my first one off to college, so there will be additional time spent to go visit, bring the next season of clothes, holiday breaks, etc.

You just have to take what time you can and enjoy it.  My wife says I am more relaxed and happier after coming back from hunting (even if empty handed and could hunt only half the day).

By the way squirrels and chipmunks are extremely loud in the leaves.  Sometimes you think you hear deer coming and it is the squirrels.  Later you may dismiss the sounds as the squirrels again, and it is a deer, or deer just sneak up quietly making almost no sound.

After working inside for years on computers and then go outside to hunt, you may notice the your field of vision you focus on seems small compared to the view in front of you.  After awhile, your vision will seem to cover a wider area and then going back to work, you re-adjust looking at a monitor and narrower view.

If your existing gun has the option of changing barrels, see if you can get a rifled shotgun barrel for it.  Using Sabot rounds, it puts you in the 75-150 yard ranges for deer hunting.  Should cost less than buying another gun.

If you think Brooklyn is bad, try Canada--surprised I even convinced my wife to let me get a shotgun at all, but now she's saying I should go hunting with my dad. I guess miracles do happen!

I may indeed be too late for bow. Will have the regular hunting license shortly and signing up for a bow course for next month (if I end up getting a bow in time).

Entirely possible I'm just doing shotgun this year, though.

If I get a bow I'll be joining a local club that's a ball's throw from me and will have ample opportunity to practice. I've gone by that place in Marion before--will check it out.

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

Those "mom & pop" local archery shops are where you'll get the most knowledgeable help. But..not always the best selection or pricing. Personalized service and convenience comes at a price! Much better selection of a variety of compound/Xbow mfgers and models at the "big box" places like BassPro, Dick's, Gander Mtn. But...rarely will the sales people have much knowledge of archery.

Not sure where you're located within Wayne Co? Belo was referring to Guerin-Teed Archery on Rte21 between Williamson & Palmyra. Archery Solutions is near Williamson, just north of Rte104, They were open, then closed and assumed now open again...call first! Another place on Rte96 between Manchester & the Finger Lakes Race Track, Jim's Pro Shop. Believe there's another one south of Phelps, Heritage (??). Sure there are others in eastern Wayne Co. Most of these smaller shops are owned by individuals who have a real, wage earning, weekday job, So..nights & weekends are your best bet to get to talk to the owners, the real experts.

This goes w/o saying, but I will anyways......If you're thinking about pursuing bow hunting, do NOT jump in whole-hog, but merely ease into it. Go to a small archery shop, act like your interested in buying a new bow, get sized for draw length, try out a few bows for draw weight, shoot several times and walk out. Do your due diligence research and then look around for a decent used bow that is to your specs. Can often get a complete used package with bow, sights, quiver, release, arrows, case. etc for under $500. Bewarned - Some bow models require more than minor adjustments to bring them to your specs!! Jumping in whole-hog with a new bow & accessories will easily cost 2-3X that used $. Most bow hunters can't resist the urge to upgrade to the latest & greatest technology about every 3-5yrs. So the old bow gets sold, which by the way generally has nothing wrong with it! There's no Kelly Blue Book for used bows, so some will be over-priced and others at a bargain. 

• Like 1

Not sure where you're located within Wayne Co? Belo was referring to Guerin-Teed Archery on Rte21 between Williamson & Palmyra. Archery Solutions is near Williamson, just north of Rte104, They were open, then closed and assumed now open again...call first! Another place on Rte96 between Manchester & the Finger Lakes Race Track, Jim's Pro Shop. Believe there's another one south of Phelps, Heritage (??). Sure there are others in eastern Wayne Co. Most of these smaller shops are owned by individuals who have a real, wage earning, weekday job, So..nights & weekends are your best bet to get to talk to the owners, the real experts.

Western Wayne, so that place is less than 20 minutes from me.

I won't have the money to go full hog with a bunch of crazy elite equipment that I've no real business using. ;)

A co-worker also mentioned a place in Phelps.

Edited by Core

Those "mom & pop" local archery shops are where you'll get the most knowledgeable help. But..not always the best selection or pricing. Personalized service and convenience comes at a price! Much better selection of a variety of compound/Xbow mfgers and models at the "big box" places like BassPro, Dick's, Gander Mtn. But...rarely will the sales people have much knowledge of archery.

I'd never let a pimply faced kid at dicks sell me a bow unless i knew exactly what I wanted. Not to mention the big box stores don't sell a bunch of the best brands. that being said, if you're measured right, you really can't go wrong with any modern compound. It's the accessories where it gets tricky.

Just an FYI about those Bow Hunter Safety classes that are required to get a NYS archery tag. They typically start being offered in various locations around the May/June timeframe. Several will be offer throughout the summer and into Sept or even Oct. The later offerings are difficult to get into, filling up fast!! Last minute frenzy and procrastinators! Believe a pre-registration for a class is a must!

Pretty sure there are forum members that teach these bow classes, maybe they can pipe-in! May be required to bring a bow & shoot it!??! Not sure you'll be evaluated on proficiency, just using one safely.

• Like 1

Just an FYI about those Bow Hunter Safety classes that are required to get a NYS archery tag. They typically start being offered in various locations around the May/June timeframe. Several will be offer throughout the summer and into Sept or even Oct. The later offerings are difficult to get into, filling up fast!! Last minute frenzy and procrastinators! Believe a pre-registration for a class is a must!

Pretty sure there are forum members that teach these bow classes, maybe they can pipe-in! May be required to bring a bow & shoot it!??! Not sure you'll be evaluated on proficiency, just using one safely.

Thanks--I was surprised to see how hard it is to get into any hunting courses close by--not even just bow. The online one still requires in-person, and the in-person component is not offered that regularly. There was a great combo hunter/bow course starting this week that, as recently as last week, still had spots available, but I cannot make one of the days.

The course at the GCL at the end of September has registration starting on Sept 10 and I think I can get a spot as long as they don't require a bow (assuming I don't have one) ;)

I know all states have hunting safety certificate reciprocity, and pennsylvania has an online-only hunting cert course, so this can be used to get an NY hunting cert, though it doesn't cover bow. 

Edited by Core

Just my thoughts, but if you've never hunted before, I would not suggest any "end run" option in lieu of actually sitting thru a NYS Hunter Safety course. Might actually learn something and accelerated the steep learning curve associated with becoming semi-consistent in your harvests.

• Like 3

Just my thoughts, but if you've never hunted before, I would not suggest any "end run" option in lieu of actually sitting thru a NYS Hunter Safety course. Might actually learn something and accelerated the steep learning curve associated with becoming semi-consistent in your harvests.

I share this sentiment. I think a person to person transfer of info is preferable.

Does anybody know if adding a privilege to a license later on is just a matter of them re-printing the license with the new addition added? E.g. if you get a regular season permit and then middle of October you decide you want to do some bow hunting after all, can you add it on easily enough?

I have "tentative spousal approval on my appropriations request", so am starting to look at some bows now :)

Simply a matter of purchasing an additional license, bow tag. No re-printing needed! You will need the current license and your proof of completing the NY bow safety course though. Hell, NYS is so accommodating they'd sell you a bow license on the last day of bow season. Sarcasim!! Within the last couple of years NYS got away from the license packages and all are sold individually.

As you said, getting someone that's willing to mentor you will literally chop years off the learning curve!

Simply a matter of purchasing an additional license, bow tag. No re-printing needed! You will need the current license and your proof of completing the NY bow safety course though. Hell, NYS is so accommodating they'd sell you a bow license on the last day of bow season. Sarcasim!! Within the last couple of years NYS got away from the license packages and all are sold individually.

As you said, getting someone that's willing to mentor you will literally chop years off the learning curve!

Thanks! I have a co-worker who's more than willing to share info and I spoke to him for a while, but I know better than to beg for people to let me tag along to their special hunting spots unless they offer ;)

As such, the second best is researching it. I grabbed a couple of well reviewed books and will read at least three before things get going. Keeping my expectations low and constantly reminding myself that there's a learning curve.

Thanks for the tips on a bow. My problem is I know so little about them I don't know how to buy a used one. I found a nice one, I thought, on Craigslist for $225, seemed well speced, then found out it was a $350 bow over a decade ago, so not worth that cost. 

It's August 21st and your looking to buy a bow and hunt this year? Hmm!

I already gave him a shot for this. Lets not turn him off. You can certainly get suited up and equipped quickly if you want. Then practice like hell over the next month and continue to practice in to the season. Too many guys warm up in September and stop shooting in October.

As long as you know your limits as an archer you should have no issue taking a good clean broadside shot at 20 yards.

• Like 1