Letchworth

Localqdm

I should say that i did not mean you were not a hunter if you do not believe in ar or hunt the park..I just meant if I see you where i hunt on the park.I KNOW you are a hunter or just a little crazy!!!! I guess the other post could have gotten me nailed to the wall if someone took it that they were not hunters if they did not believe in what i do!!!! LOL

Theyprefer it when the pressure builds. I worked a project in West Virginia and I can't even beging to describe the terrain I say whitetails use. if you wanted to follow them you would need technical rock climbing gear. they used trails that would be better suited for mountain goats. I saw them go up shear faces using the smallest little ledges and this was not even during their open season.

Yup if you want to see a deer sit on its butt with 4 legs sticking out in front of it waiting for flat land again the park is the place to see it.They know the bottom is safe and they will get there no matter what is in front of them.  Well i should say safe unless there are fools like me waiting for them to get there!!!! LOL

My father in law and i used to hunt on Gibsonville Road that leads to the park but is blocked off . I shot my 1st deer ever on the property . There were a couple of small gullies that branched off into a larger one that went into Letchworth . I have never hunted in the park .

About 6 of couple from our church rented one of the cabins in Portageville one winter . We had deer behind the cabin and saw them all over the place .

So four seasons, do you have stands up that go under water in the spring ? Nothing like being in your stand and seeing tires and other trash above you in the tree lol.

I have a feeling you know what I mean .

Happy Hunting.

Yup i have had mud caked on my stand many times and a few years back the bottom was flooded and i could see ducks and geese swim around one of my stands.The best year i ever had down there was one year it was flooded.We talked to some of the head guys down there and they will not let you put a canoe in on the park but i will tell ya i would do it in a heart beat and it would be easy to get one down to the river on one of the trails that go to the riverbank..

We used to canoe it each spring.There is a max flow rate where they let you canoe, but we never checked in or anything to begin with.

Rememeber now you'll have to pack up and out your deer and canoe plus gear.Plus cars at each end.

Its pretty easy even in the spring, the fall would be slow and flat I would guess.

We used to canoe it each spring.There is a max flow rate where they let you canoe, but we never checked in or anything to begin with.

Rememeber now you'll have to pack up and out your deer and canoe plus gear.Plus cars at each end.

Its pretty easy even in the spring, the fall would be slow and flat I would guess.

I know probably most of the guys going down there are  not fans of drives but it sure looks like some of those deltas would make some very nice still hunting to a couple buddies. Would that be a high fence hunt since the cliffs are that high...lol ;)

We use to hunt the islands of the Mohawk river this way when I was younger and had lots of free time. 2 cars...drop in the canoe...hit the up stream end of an island and drop one guy off.....the other swung down to the downstream end and got on watch. The deer stacked on those thing in late gun season was crazy. The flats of the river use to get hunted pretty hard and the deer would just take a small swim over to the islands to camp out

Are there any opportunities to float hunt downstream from Letchworth, or are you likely violating trespass laws if you do that? I noticed that through that area, the current seems to be a lot more manageable and it looks like it runs through some prime farm country.

Thanks for all the info guys.  Down in the gorge, what does the wind do?  Are the thermals pretty predictable?  Does it swirl badly?  Just curious.  If its blowing like west on top is there ANY predictability down in?

If you get well out into the bottoms the wind seems to be predictable. The land leading to the bottom is pretty steep in spots,making the wind currents pretty unreliable at times.