5 Days To Bow Season

DirtTime

The anticipation is killing me! Just bummed I can't hunt the afternoons until Monday due to work. Hoping for decent morning sits until then though!

I too feel like I will be forgetting something. But as long as I have my bow and release I can get the job done. Bow is sighted in to 85 yards for now. That will be good enough for this season. Will tinker with my sights after I swap out the strings over the winter to get me tuned into 100 yards

The anticipation is killing me! Just bummed I can't hunt the afternoons until Monday due to work. Hoping for decent morning sits until then though!

I too feel like I will be forgetting something. But as long as I have my bow and release I can get the job done. Bow is sighted in to 85 yards for now. That will be good enough for this season. Will tinker with my sights after I swap out the strings over the winter to get me tuned into 100 yards

:acute: Really? 85 huh? You gonna eat lunch while you wait for the arrow to either miss or wound the deer?

85 yards should cover you. If a deer walks out at 100, just hold another foot and a half high.

I'm personally tuned and sighted in for 150. But I only shoot 100 in an actual hunting situation. You never know if there is a twig 140 yards out that you might not see.

:rofl:   Love the sarcasm on that one A Sportsman.

What's the matter. Just because you can't hit anything at long ranges means no one can? I always shoot to 100. Makes close range shots a breeze. I shot my antelope at 88 yards. Hard to get close to a lot of western animals so being capable of hitting them at long range is a must. I practiced for months before that hunt and made sure I was rock solid as I don't like wounding anything just like anyone else.

I'm young with better than perfect vision (thanks lasik!) and have been practicing to 100 yards for 6 years now. Never said I'd take a high risk hail marry shot at 100 through dense forest. But on a feeding deer in a open field with no wind. Yep I'm letting a arrow fly. With today's new bows why does this seem like a ridiculous feat? Not only does practicing at long ranges make you a better shooter in general it makes the way more common shorter range shots much easier. But the biggest thing is the confidence boost you get

• Like 3

Have made 3 real long range shots while hunting in 6 years. All 3 kills. Antelope at 88 yards. A doe at 85 yards and another doe at 90 yards. Like I said in my post above...these are rare and uncommon shots but when conditions are perfect I will take the shot. I've wounded more deer at close range than long...but with only taking 3 long range shots total that wouldn't be a fair comparison.

If there's a great possibility that I will miss I won't take the shot...same as everyone else who shoots shorter ranges. None of my kills were done in the woods either. All were in wide open fields. Antelope in Wyoming and both does in Kansas wheat fields. Not even sure when the next time will be that I take something that far away. My hunting setup this year is mostly in the timber so I'm limited to about 60 yards...maybe 70 in a couple areas.

• Like 1

Good luck preaching to many of these guys. They don't understand how it is out west. They wouldn't know how to hunt spot and stalk and shoot long range. No tree stands to hide in, and very rare to get a short shot.

40-50 yards on an elk, muley, antelope is a chip shot out west and that's with the heavy winds that we don't have here on the east coast. Those guys out west laugh at how boring it is to sit in a treestand all day waiting for something to walk by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2

Long range shots are definitely not for me. 30 yards is my hunting limit. That being said, if another hunter regularly practices 100 yard shots and can consistently hit his target at longer ranges. Understands what it takes to pull it off and knows when not to attempt the shot. Then who am I to judge, for hunting different than I do. It beats the devine intervention shot. If you are skilled enough to make long range shots, I will withhold judgment. As stated above, out west,a 50 yard shot is as common as a 20 yard shot here.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 3

I agree Grampy that long range shooting with a bow is not for everyone. But at the same time neither is long range shooting with a rifle. I don't feel confident in my gun or skills out past 500 yards. But that doesn't mean I discredit people who take down sheep in the mountains at crazy ranges over a 1000 yards or even our military snipers for blowing heads off terrorists a mile away.

I have a buddy who's an Ace with a rifle. Guy will hit quarters at 1100 yards. Break out the bows and this dude couldn't hit a elephant at 40 yards. Archery just isn't his thing.

• Like 1

What poundage and what broadhead are you using, I'm curious.

My last bow was a Hoyt Rampage XT set to 70 lbs using Rage 2 blades. My new bow is a Bowtech Carbon knight and I will be trying Slick tricks this year. Haven't shot the slick tricks yet so I'm not sure how they fly at longer range yet so this is still up in the air if I will even be able to use them. My bowtech is also set to 70 pounds. Though I've read that the bowtechs set to 70 usually end up more around 74 pounds.

Good luck preaching to many of these guys. They don't understand how it is out west. They wouldn't know how to hunt spot and stalk and shoot long range. No tree stands to hide in, and very rare to get a short shot.

40-50 yards on an elk, muley, antelope is a chip shot out west and that's with the heavy winds that we don't have here on the east coast. Those guys out west laugh at how boring it is to sit in a treestand all day waiting for something to walk by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True story. My cousins out in Colorado are always giving me crap for it.

• Like 3

It opens the first as far as I know.  They eliminated the last 4 days due to change in date.  So they open the same time as the south Oct 1st.  Unless the DEC changed, last seasons tags are expired.  Am I wrong, does anyone  have a link on the DEC site that says September 27-30 is open for bow?

For all the people hunting the NZ you must be ready and antsy! Bow season opens this Sunday. Good luck.

ok, I though they were eliminating those first 4 days but apparently you have to use this years tags.  Sounds good.  Wished Sat was open and I would go up but one day just does not cut it.

Glad I am not the only one who thinks sitting in a tree is the most boring way to hunt.  I shoot out to 70+ yards but typically I shoot 60 and closer.  40-50 is my woods limit depending on how well my form is but up to 70 would not be out of reach if the deer is not weary or in his bed.  The farm hunters I know take shots up to and past 80 and kill a pile of deer.

Good luck ADKHunter1590  Hope you get a monster!