stolen gun update

gbj

It looks like the scumbags that broke into my house will get away with it for now. Good news is insurance check will be here this week so i'm gun shopping. I went to Bass Pro last night and all they push is savage axis or trophy hunter. Anyone shoot these ? I have a friend who shoots Ruger American and loves it was thinking about getting the Ruger in a .270 with a nikon scope Any thoughts  on these or something else. I didnt know I had a 500 dollar deductible so i have a little less than I hoped for to spend.

Sorry about the news but my dad has save age axis in 270 and is a good shooter have also heard good things about ruler American but no first hand info...Marlin makes a rifle line comparable in price can't think of name off hand...I had savage model 12 accu trigger picked up for under 4 in 270 loved it good luck with shopping so many choices

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Glad you're  at least able to replace some of your guns….Oh how I hate filthy scumbag thieves …especially burglars. First offense for a home Burglary should be at least 10 years minimum unless of course the puss ridden  piece of filth is shot and killed by the home owner , in the course of the criminals filthy act…..  Im rambling….Sorry.

The Ruger American is a top notch rifle. I think it ranks above the Savage Axis , or any entry level rifle. I have one and I know 4 other guys that have them….You can't go wrong.

Good Luck..

Back in the day of the M77's, Ruger bolts were a good step above the Savage.  I have not heard anything bad about the American, and that is definitely the way I would go if I were looking for a new rifle today.   My old M77 30/06 was still driving tacks at the range this past Sunday and has yet to fail me on a deer, so I ain't in that market yet.  I did have a Savage 22/250 chuck rifle for a few years and it was nearly as accurate, just not real good in the fit/finish category compared to the Ruger M77 22/250 mkII that I replaced it with.  It does sound like there are there a lot of good options out there these days in economical bolt-action rifles.  Even the Mossberg is supposed to be pretty good.      

I have the Savage Axis in 7mm-08 and it is a very accurate for a low budget rifle. Have heard good things about the Ruger American too. I upgraded the trigger spring and put better glass on it and am very happy with the performance. These days, $500 or less can get you a very accurate rifle. Glad your insurance came through for you. And I hope scumbags that stole your stuff, have bad mojo come back to them 100 times over.

That sounds like an excellent choice and a great buy. Keep us posted on how it works out for you this fall. It would also be nice to hear what kind of 100 yard, three shot groups it can put down from a rest. My old M77 30/06 with 3-9 Redfield widefield/low-pro scope still holds just over an inch with 150 gr, Federal classic ammo.

If you can find one at Gander, the Tikkas are an excellent value.  Detachable box magazines, slick bolts and super accurate.  Wood or synthetic (I have, in synthetic, the .308 compact and .204 stainless light, both were under $500 ea.).

For around 4-5 you should be able to get a good one.  Skip the tikka scope mounts and go for a talley or DNZ.

I know the buy american crowd will howl, but the rugers I handled lately, esp the so called compacts, were very heavy and just personal preference against the accu-trigger.

Well I just went to look and that turned into a ruger American .270 And put a Nikon 3x9 bdc installed gun was 330 scope was 150 minus 10 percent plus ten dollar coupon seemed like a decent price

My exact set-up........ a real tack-driver!

I also picked up the cva  optima with the thumbhole stock Really like the way that feels and put the same scope on it. Ive always used pyrodex pellets and 245 grain aero tips . Anyone shoot this gun and have any luck with different powder. My father says to try white hot anyone use that? I will be shooting Sunday and see how they shoot.Thanks for all the input Gary

• Like 1