LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

Congrats! thats a nice buck....

So 13% chance of rain...started getting misted half ay to stand..no rain gear...OK it will stop...nope continues until it was a steady light rain...by 8am I was soaked but hanging in...by 9:15 I was really chilled and very tired..so here I am drying out...having watched all the action from my stand in the neighbors swamp...went past cams pulled cards and literally passed a buck going in this morning..... me headed in and him headed out the way I was walking in..apparently my drag didn't work...lol

Remember the skunk I mentioned the other day? The one I nearly stepped on under my ladder...he gets around:

• Like 1

All the places I hunt you cant find a rock! if you do its a landmark, like "Whered you set up today?" "You know where that rock is? right there" "Yup I know where you mean"

Ha.... If I tried that I'd have to just stand in one spot or be  lost...hahaha...all we have are rocks very few nice ones...it is mostly shale and shale heaves...... leaving flat sheets of rock (usually with a jagged point) sticking out of the ground.......... one whole property I can't drive the equipment on due to tire punctures

Edited by growalot

Well been out all am circling the hill...lost all blood with rain last night so me and few others made circles on hill all am 730 till 1030 not a sign...did jump another nice buck...made it around all land allowed to be on and brought the dog with us no dice...pretty sick to my stomach thinking I hit high maybe even shoulder...crazy story with my son but not having the deer puts a stain on it as losing a deer is never fun....thanks for all the positivity but the deer is not found....wish I had pics but I guess it's just not my day...going to sit in stand see if maybe I can connect in the right spot this time....good luck and congrats hunter9369

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Well been out all am circling the hill...lost all blood with rain last night so me and few others made circles on hill all am 730 till 1030 not a sign...did jump another nice buck...made it around all land allowed to be on and brought the dog with us no dice...pretty sick to my stomach thinking I hit high maybe even shoulder...crazy story with my son but not having the deer puts a stain on it as losing a deer is never fun....thanks for all the positivity but the deer is not found....wish I had pics but I guess it's just not my day...going to sit in stand see if maybe I can connect in the right spot this time....good luck and congrats hunter9369

Did everything I could rain didn't help any

Sorry to hear that...many a night I have  been in the woods alone tracking a deer because of impending or current rain...makes for a long night but gets it done...Drives Mr B nuts when I leave at 11pm and return at 3-4am with a gutted deer...Good luck in the rest of season...

I'll be headed out this afternoon winds are suppose to calm by then...and I'm still trying to warm up from the morns cold wet sit...

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that...many a night I have been in the woods alone tracking a deer because of impending or current rain...makes for a long night but gets it done...Drives Mr B nuts when I leave at 11pm and return at 3-4am with a gutted deer...Good luck in the rest of season...

I'll be headed out this afternoon winds are suppose to calm by then...and I'm still trying to warm up from the morns cold wet sit...

Yea we stayed as long as possible with Batts dying and trail getting slim hoped a comb in am would turn him up

Stoneam ...I know you've been at this a number of years but sometimes just a reminder or for the newbies to see...

We tend to continue foreward in grid searches, from the last blood seen....Which is usually the finding factor...that said when not found nor blood picked up..... consider going to last blood and reverse your search back the way you came in...now that circleing search pattern can sometimes pick this up...not always though...More than once I have had deer trails vanish...and because we tend to focus on what we are seeing in one line...we failed to see a parallel line...this being the one that back tracked on you.  When more than one person is searching some times that trail can be disturbed thus broken.......I learned many years ago how often this actually happens at the end of a "dissapearing' blood trail...best of luck

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

post-6443-14462348194186_thumb.jpg

Focused on the most important thing in a stand IMO. This state land stuff is a drag. I am no longer even spooking deer. Not seeing them anywhere: think they are sick of us. I did find a new spot today quite far in and plan on sitting it tomorrow morning. It is dare I say a gem. When I came upon it I felt like I had entered a dungeon full to the ceiling of gold. Tracks everywhere, fresh scat on the path, and slots of heavy crappy brush but also a few nice climbing trees to get above it. Hopefully it's is worth something and I do think most people here wouldn't bother going so deep.

On the way in today was happy to run into another guy parking who planned on sitting exactly where I have been going. 10 min walk or less. Helped convince me to give that spot up. Too many people spooking deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Core

I just missed a nice 6 first noticed him 30 yards infront of me. He made a loop and gave me a perfect 20 yard broadside shot, I just didn't see the thin hanging twig I hit it and missed 5 inches or so under his belly. When I get down at 6 I will check arrow for blood but I doubt it..... I'm so mad right now

• Like 1