The End of an Era

letinmfly

The era lasted 30 years but it has come to an end...sadly!!   Our hunting/summer camp has been for sale for the last three years and two weeks ago my father accepted an offer on the place.  My father purchased the land in 1985 and soon there after he put a mobile home on the land.  It has served us well and many memories were created with family and friends.

Like all good things it has now come to an end.  To say that I'm saddened by it is an understatement.   My father and I developed a special bond over the years, hunting and fishing together.  It's going to be strange not sharing deer camp with him this season, he hasn't hunted do to health reasons for 6 years now but never missed being in camp.  I've enjoyed 35 years worth of opening weeks with him and over that time we became best friends.  This is a very emotional time for me and I'm sure some of you can relate.

I thank my father for introducing me to hunting and the great outdoors and also for having purchased this place 30 years ago!!

I hope the new owners will enjoy it as much as we did and make their own memories.

• Like 8

That is a tough, may the future have something special in it for you. I am currently purchasing the hunting camp adjacent to my property. Health reasons have them selling it. I am taking baby steps with them because I know it is so hard. Even offered them the place to use after we close. Good luck this season.

• Like 2

That's a tough one to deal with. That bond is forever though! It might sound odd, but the bond was not all due to the camp, it was you and your dad sharing experiences and growing closer as family. The camp might be gone, but those memories of great times will be with you forever.

• Like 2

That's a tough one to deal with. That bond is forever though! It might sound odd, but the bond was not all due to the camp, it was you and your dad sharing experiences and growing closer as family. The camp might be gone, but those memories of great times will be with you forever.

Rob you're right the bond wasn't all due to the camp.  However the camp was the catalyst that grew our relationship.  Growing up I was a typical teenager, I knew everything and my father knew nothing.  After spending many hours and days together at camp I realized that I was the one that really knew nothing.  Lol    I truly learned to appreciate the man.

Needless to say he is my hero!!!

That is a tough, may the future have something special in it for you. I am currently purchasing the hunting camp adjacent to my property. Health reasons have them selling it. I am taking baby steps with them because I know it is so hard. Even offered them the place to use after we close. Good luck this season.

That's a classy move on your part.  Actually the new owners told my father that I could still deer hunt if I wish.  That's very considerate on their part but I just can't bring myself to be up there knowing that my father will be back home on LI.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss.  I've been in a similar situation twice...........long stories on both but in 1983 my father sold a place in Canadice that was very important and influential in my life.  He bought it in 1970 when I was 9.  It was very hard getting over that one but I was young and made do with friends in the area and all worked out well.

In 1992 my uncle bought some land in Naples then built a cabin and barn in the coming years.  That place was sold last summer after many many memories like yours.  I could post hundreds of pics of the people, place and things related to it.

Life is all about change.........some good/some bad. 

Carry on my friend!

• Like 3

Maybe it's none of my business, but was there any way to continue to keep this place in the family? Like you buying it, or paying the upkeep and taxes on it if your father couldn't? Some things should never get sold, only passed down to the next generation.

Edited by steve863