Mature NY Buck and Doe Take: Video!

AdirondackBH

Hey guys! As some of you may remember, I am all tagged out for the NY archery season so I have had plenty of time to get these hunts put together in a single video for you to watch. Some of you may know from previous posts that I am a scent control freak, and both of these hunts confirm why that is so I go into detail on why I use it and what I use. 

Hunt Stats: 

October 2nd : Mature Archery Doe Kill   : Weight 115lbs dressed

October 11th: Mature Archery Buck Kill : Weight 178lbs dressed : 3.5 years old

As always, thanks for watching! 

• Like 5

Nice video, too bad you don't have the buck kill shot. He's a great mature 4 pt. Reminds me of one I shot in the north country a few years ago. He was a 4 pt with a 13-14" spread and weighed 152 lbs. Never had him aged but we figured he was 3+

Thank you! Do you happen to have a picture of your deer? 

Yea, I unfortunately had a camera equipment malfunction right at the time that I took the shot. I tried my best to fill it in by telling the story but you can only do so much without that shot! 

He was mature enough to shoot disregard any other comments about age!  You want to start a threat about when a buck reaches maturity go right ahead but don't reign down on another hunters kill that he feels is mature enough to shoot.  This winter was pretty hard on some area's and this will affect antler growth, he is the buck that survived the 2014-2015 winter and that is a feat into itself!

Nice buck!  Congrats!!!

• Like 1

Nice buck - but bucks don't reach maturity until at least 4.5 years

Technically, you are 100% correct. In a healthy, well balanced herds a buck is known to reach full physiological maturity by 4.5 years of age. 

However, studies show that younger age class bucks, specifically 3.5 year olds, physiologically mature at a much faster rate in a poorly managed herd that lacks a healthy population of bucks over 4.5 years of age. 

In my area of NY, and outside of QDM coops, killing much less seeing a 3.5 year old buck is a rarity. This deer was king of the domain on the property I was hunting. Dark tarsals, torn ears, beat up body from fighting, and his overall weight leads me to believe this buck is a perfect example of this "maturity". So in retrospect, I call bucks in this area that are 3.5 years of age and older "mature" simply out of perspective for the given conditions here. I should have made note of that in my OP!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Thank you! Do you happen to have a picture of your deer?

Yea, I unfortunately had a camera equipment malfunction right at the time that I took the shot. I tried my best to fill it in by telling the story but you can only do so much without that shot!

It took me a while, but here's the 4 point I was talking about. I wasn't able to find the pictures of the buck at camp, but here's a pic of the skull.

98068BF9-5AF2-4680-8FD1-2858894299AD_zps

• Like 3

chiefbkt there's a really good chance your buck was 2.5 yrs old based on what you said.  heck there's even a chance the OP's buck was only 2.5 but 3.5 is a real possibility especially with that weight.  both nice bucks though.

AdirondackBH congrats on both the deer.  nice video too.

Edited by dbHunterNY

It took me a while, but here's the 4 point I was talking about. I wasn't able to find the pictures of the buck at camp, but here's a pic of the skull.

98068BF9-5AF2-4680-8FD1-2858894299AD_zps

Awesome! That does look very similar. 

chiefbkt there's a really good chance your buck was 2.5 yrs old based on what you said.  heck there's even a chance the OP's buck was only 2.5 but 3.5 is a real possibility especially with that weight.  both nice bucks though.

AdirondackBH congrats on both the deer.  nice video too.

Thanks, to be sure I had his jaw aged and he was confirmed by two separate biologists at 3.5. I had to be sure!

• Like 2

Good shooting! I too hunt Washington county and niice mature deer are few and far between with young spikes and basket racks making up the majority of the deer I see. Very seldom do I see a buck with the mass that one has. Good work man

Thanks brother, it's a tough county for sure. 

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats, good video! might have to try this myself.. 

ask charlie alsheimer, he will tell you they definitely are harder to kill here than any midwestern state

It's all about perspective, I completely agree. I've hunted Ohio, PA and a few other states. 3.5 year olds out there are like young bucks here. Especially if you are talking about he Adirondacks.