First shot in four weeks, missed again!

Core

Four weeks ago I missed a good shot, so bought a range finder. Today I finally have another nice shot. Broadside. I ranged one deer at 35, but the second was further away and I figured 40, so took a shot. Was to my left of the stand and just Friday I confirmed I am pretty darn accurate at 40 yards. Deer was not moving. I was calm, I didn't flinch, the arrow released and careened well over its back. I ranged again, it was 35 yards, not 40. However, that's no more than 5" and this arrow went stupid.

I went through the motions again and I believe what happened is that I confirmed I was clear to my left with no bow obstructions. I drew the bow, but then I almost certainly had the string below the nock resting slightly on the climber handles as I anchored it. Although I don't think that appreciably changed the arrow's trajectory, when I got home I drew my bow and had my kid press in the same spot, and what it did was force the peep higher (string above nock giving a little more to the bottom to even things out), which meant I raised the housing to compensate, and therefore shot over it.

Does that make sense? Terrible, I've spent four weeks working for another shot and this happens! I'm less upset than the first time for some reason, though.

I have done that in practice.  When your limb hits the object it causes your arrow to go much higher!!!  This is due to the limb flex.  That was a honest mistake, make sure when you shoot your limbs are clear, if you do hit something it will throw your shot off that extra bit plus the 5 yard misjudge and that will be a miss every time.   

Don't sweat it, it happens.  Just write it off as another mistake you will never make again!  And get back out their!  I want to see your pictures this year!  Keep at it I have faith you will get it done! 

Get back in the saddle and GETSOME!  Only 30 more mistakes and you will start to catch up to me!  And I have only been out 2 times this year, lol.  

• Like 1

I was shooting from a stand to my left. I didn't need to bend to maintain good form because although I was 15' up the deer was on a slope, so the downward angle was pretty mild. It was textbook opportunity, I couldn't have asked for better (though I could have for closer). I'm sure I didn't peek, I kept it in my mind before the shot after working on that specifically this weak. I am 0 for 2, but I really am not getting too worked up with these and flicking wildly or anything!

The bottom string did--I think--press on the handle of the climbing stand while I was drawing it, thus bending it basically right in the middle of the nock and the cam due to me not leaning far enough over the side of the stand.

I have done that in practice.  When your limb hits the object it causes your arrow to go much higher!!!  This is due to the limb flex.  That was a honest mistake, make sure when you shoot your limbs are clear, if you do hit something it will throw your shot off that extra bit plus the 5 yard misjudge and that will be a miss every time.  
So string press below nock = higher arrow and press above nock in the manner described = low? I'm glad you've found the same to happen (or at least can confirm it). I put a ton of time in at the range and the only time I miss this badly is rarely, and I know immediately after shooting that I flinched.  Edited by Core
  • Like 1

When your lower bow limb is on a hard object like a rest when you shoot the release of the limb will cause your bow to pop up causing a high shot to about 5-8 inches.

Get that rest out of your way, they are great for guns but not so much with a bow.  And make sure you are strapped in!   Good luck Core, I have faith in you.  Like you said do not sweat it and keep doing your thing! 

Edited by NFA-ADK

If your shot was high , I have 2 questions .

* Were you shooting from a tree stand ?

* If you were shooting from a tree stand , did you bend at the waist or did you stay upright and lower your bow arm ?

I was going to say the same thing.

Additionally, I personally don't shoot past 30. Been bow hunting over 10 years and it's serves me right so far. I'd certainly suggest a new hunter keep it under 30. Not a rule just a suggestion. Good luck.

• Like 2

When your lower bow limb is on a hard object like a rest when you shoot the release of the limb will cause your bow to pop up causing a high shot to about 5-8 inches.

It wasn't the limb, though; the bow was completely unobstructed except for the pressing on the string between the nock and the limb...

Unfortunately the string when released can do the same thing if it has presser on it.  Not exactly the same as the limb but same effect of pushing the bow up.

It wasn't the limb, though; the bow was completely unobstructed except for the pressing on the string between the nock and the limb...

I was going to say the same thing.

Additionally, I personally don't shoot past 30. Been bow hunting over 10 years and it's serves me right so far. I'd certainly suggest a new hunter keep it under 30. Not a rule just a suggestion. Good luck.

I wish I had waited to see if it would come in closer, but it seemed about to go back. I can reliably hit vital area at 50 yards at the range, but wouldn't try that in the woods yet, however I felt okay with 40 (what I thought was 40). Didn't feel like a hail Mary. But, obviously I got it wrong, so my avatar stays with a broadhead in a tree. This time the broadhead entered mud and was an easy retrieval.

I just confirmed again I think that's what happened because I drew my bow back and pressing on the bottom string while the bow is drawn tries to bring the lower cam closer (because essentially string distance between nock and cam is now decreased) and the upper away from the body. The way to correct this is to counter that torque by pressing harder with the palm of the hand and or pulling down on the nock. If I did this to even a small degree that may have resulted in the shot going higher than the yardage otherwise explains.

I thought about my tips but they are within 1/10th of a gram of my field points and when looking at total arrow weight my field tip vs broadheads are within 1% of each other. Also, they are mechanical so not likely to upset flight. I only tested that a few times and they hit where they should have.

Will of course confirm my bow isn't out of spec since Friday but otherwise going to consider this major shooting error in the field #2. Hopefully there isn't a number 3 before I get a deer. :) Overall not a bad day, though. The new spot has great potential, i think and I got to see what it looks like when a buck grunts while sniffing a path 20 yards away, oblivious to me even though I was upwind of it on the ground!

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

One other possibility is "string jump". If a deer is in a state of "high-alert", which could be triggered by a periforal glimpse of your "draw" motion, the initial reaction is to drop down when they hear the bow release. Also, bucks that respond to grunt calls or rattling are "alerted", and literally looking to get jumped on the way in. 35 yards is about the range where string jump is most severe. If he was farther, he would not have heard your bow release, triggering the duck & jump. If he were closer, he would not have been able to move as far when the arrow was in the air. You are fortunate that your arrow missed clean. I have struck several in the shoulder blade in those situations. At least that injury has a good recovery rate. String jump is the biggest reason why proficiency on paper does not translate to proficiency on deer for the bow-hunter. The paper don't move while the arrow is in the air.

Edited by wolc123

I have a piece of dental floss tied at the point where the peep should be aligned. I missed a nice buck last year because my peep had slipped. This way I can check the sight immediately as soon as I get set-up in the stand to ensure everything is peachy.

And yeah, I never go over 30 if I can help it. Prefer 20 or less in fact. Never took a deer over twenty. Certainly means you need to develop a good sense of where they will be.

Edited by Papist

I have a piece of dental floss tied at the point where the peep should be aligned. I missed a nice buck last year because my peep had slipped. This way I can check the sight immediately as soon as I get set-up in the stand to ensure everything is peachy.

And yeah, I never go over 30 if I can help it. Prefer 20 or less in fact. Never took a deer over twenty. Certainly means you need to develop a good sense of where they will be.

good idea. I have even read of somebody who will shoot an arrow at the ground once in stand to ensure all is aligned. In fact last night I took pics of my sight and peep and confirmed today the peep was still good. These bows have so much hooked on to them and dangling around that there is a lot to slide around while walking through some of the nasty brush. I think if I owned private land I might leave a target on the ground permanently to ensure things are still in spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I only use single pin sights. Too much can go wrong with multiple pins in the heat of the moment.

My father does the same. I only use 2. A 20 and 30. I can certainly believe 3 or more might get hairy in the heat of the moment especially if you're in a climber and not familiar with all the shots and distances.

• Like 1

So true, in the heat of the moment if you do not control your breathing and heart rate it's easy to do something wrong.  Between lining up the peep perfect, good form to taking a good shot and the many obstructions like harness, rest or tree limbs, then add in distance judgment and shooting ability and things can get out of control real quickly. 

Try not to concentrate so much on the animal as much as that quarter behind its shoulder that you want to X.   Sometimes that precise aim takes your focus off the animal and puts it more on the shot placement, distance and form resulting in a better shot. 

I've missed a lot of deer in my time......can't remember ever finding a problem with my equipment...always been operator error.

So far I have spent 34.7 hours in stands . Saw 16 bucks and 38 anterless deer , 4 red fox and a grouse . 

• Like 1

I've missed a lot of deer in my time......can't remember ever finding a problem with my equipment...always been operator error.

So far I have spent 34.7 hours in stands . Saw 16 bucks and 38 anterless deer , 4 red fox and a grouse . 

Holy crap. I'm getting one shot every 6 times out so far! I've spent WAY too much time mid-day hunting, though. No more. I am basically trying to only hunt first two and or last two of the day now. Too much time wasted when the deer are asleep. It does suck that I have a 40 min drive on either side of this plus a healthy walk if I want to get away from other people. Makes early/late stuff just harder to deal with.

I got to the range briefly this morning. I start at long range because I think it's a good habit and had some half decent groups at 50 yards, then some nice at 40. My bow was fine, it was all operator error this time. I put a new peep on last week and when I'm off now it's horizontally; my vertical shots are really pretty solid, plus I shot some broadheads today at 30 and they are all where they should be. So at least I can't blame the bow!

Edited by Core

That's pretty crazy. I've probably spent upwards of 80 hrs and seen two deer, total. One fox and a bunch of squirrels.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems