In the market for a semi automatic rifle

Deerthug

I am interested in buying a Stag Arms AR-15 mainly for target shooting out at Calverton. I don't know much about them other than that they are Semis, they come in two different chambers, .223 and 5.56. 

Don't know much about how they shoot, recoil, balance, handling etc. I've seen some at Campsitesportshop.com and they have the Cuomo Compliant ARs which I guess I'm stuck with. 

This is the one I'm interested in:  http://www.campsitesportshop.com/html/firearms-rifles-ny-compliant.asp?action=view&ID=4577&cat=142

They also have a Stag 1NY, 2NY and 3NY. Not sure of the differences between each of them. 

Anyone have, use, shoot this particular model? Can you put a scope on this one?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

DT

That is without a doubt the ugliest thing I have ever laid eyes on. Better off getting a mini 14. As a side not does anyone know if this would make a gun NY compliant? https://www.armaglock.com/ if so then you can get a larue tactical ar15. They are the crème de la crème when it comes to accurate high quality ars

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That is without a doubt the ugliest thing I have ever laid eyes on. Better off getting a mini 14. As a side not does anyone know if this would make a gun NY compliant? https://www.armaglock.com/ if so then you can get a larue tactical ar15. They are the crème de la crème when it comes to accurate high quality ars

I don't know if anyone can answer that since it's a new law and a new product. I think the more salient question is with a D felony on the table at best, do you want to take that chance?

I am no lawyer so take it at own risk but what I understand the unsafe act is that without a detachable mag it is not a assault weapon so pinning the mag would make legal

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Stag arms makes an "alright" AR there are better and there are worse. I highly recommend anyone who is interested in an ar to build their own or have someone build one for you as you can exactly what you want much cheaper. Also get it chambered in 5.56 or 223 wyled as you can shoot 223 in them and 5.56 with a 223 you should only shoot 223 as the 5.56 is at slightly higher pressure.

I don't know if anyone can answer that since it's a new law and a new product. I think the more salient question is with a D felony on the table at best, do you want to take that chance?

Any numbers on how many have gotten charged on this ? To my understanding cops don't want to abide enforcing it let alone come down on anybody with charges.

Ok so we've established that this is an ugly rifle. Any other suggestions on what rifle to get that is similar to the original AR 15's??

The features that are covered by the SAFE act are precisely the features that make the AR platform so desirable.

Collapsible stock, pistol grip, fast reload, etc: Gone, gone, and gone. :-[

As posted above, the Ruger Mini-14 is an attractive alternative, or you can get a stock with all the AR type bells and whistles for a bolt-action gun. McMillan makes some nice ones.$$$ Not nearly as much fun as a semi-auto though.

The 'maglock' conversion looks promising, but the wrong LEO and/or judge could make your life miserable if they wanted to. It might just be considered a loophole in the law, and if enough of them show up at the range that loophole will quickly be closed. Things like political corruption, tax evasion, and insider trading are much easier to get away with than owning a "scary-looking" gun.

The features that are covered by the SAFE act are precisely the features that make the AR platform so desirable.

Collapsible stock, pistol grip, fast reload, etc: Gone, gone, and gone. :-[

As posted above, the Ruger Mini-14 is an attractive alternative, or you can get a stock with all the AR type bells and whistles for a bolt-action gun. McMillan makes some nice ones.$$$ Not nearly as much fun as a semi-auto though.

The 'maglock' conversion looks promising, but the wrong LEO and/or judge could make your life miserable if they wanted to. It might just be considered a loophole in the law, and if enough of them show up at the range that loophole will quickly be closed. Things like political corruption, tax evasion, and insider trading are much easier to get away with than owning a "scary-looking" gun.

Saying a mini 14 is a good alternative to a well built AR is absurd! They are not even in the same league.
  • Like 1

Any numbers on how many have gotten charged on this ? To my understanding cops don't want to abide enforcing it let alone come down on anybody with charges.

That, I don't know. I'm coming more from the perspective that whether they DO enforce it or not, they CAN. Kind of like how you can drive 70 mph on the 33 and no one cares, but there's always the possibility they can decide to care one day and it won't matter that they let you get away with it every other time.

• Like 1

Penal Law 265.00(22)(a) reads: “ 'Assault weapon' means . . . a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics"

I'm not a licensed attorney so my opinion shouldn't be given any weight, but the "ability to accept" language would make me think twice about the bullet button if it were me.

Edited by Wildcats160

Saying a mini 14 is a good alternative to a well built AR is absurd! They are not even in the same league.

Agree 100%..But the "Compliant" AR's are so ugly and their intended function has been effected enough, that I would take a Mini 14 over one any day..Thats just me of course.

• Like 2

If you go AR platform you can install a bullet button that requires the use of the tip of a round to release the mag. You can also thank all dip $hits from new york city keeping the dictator in office.

He is such a corrupt little scum bag!!!

• Like 1

Agree 100%..But the "Compliant" AR's are so ugly and their intended function has been effected enough, that I would take a Mini 14 over one any day..Thats just me of course.

Having Used an M4 for 8 years and on 4 deployments I actually prefer the ergonomics of the "compliant" stock and a flash surpressor is way over rated. So although I hate the F***ing laws my NY compliant AR's still function great!

Having Used an M4 for 8 years and on 4 deployments I actually prefer the ergonomics of the "compliant" stock and a flash surpressor is way over rated. So although I hate the F***ing laws my NY compliant AR's still function great!

I find that the safety, on the compliant jokes, are much harder to engage…much longer reach. Its actually easier for me at least, to operate the safety left handed, rather than right.. Im talking about the AR's with the goofy looking stock. Some compliant models like the Aires rifles have a monte Carlo style stock. They're not as bad….Still goofy looking..