Crazy hunting tactic that has worked (or almost worked)?

sampotter

What's yours?

Here's mine from this past Sunday:

It was the last morning of a 3.5 day hunt in Ohio. I knew I needed to get down by 11am so I could get on the road for the 7.5 hour drive back to New York. It was a frosty, clear morning and I was set up on the downwind side of a ridge point, maybe 100 yards from the top. The property was logged last winter, so there are some nice skid trails planted with grass and scattered tree tops in the woods. I wasn't seeing any deer this particular morning (I believe I was hunting the heart of lockdown), but I did finally see a young 8 point down the hill from me at 10am. He moved off and about 15 minutes later a nice looking 10 point came running up onto the hill with a doe. They stopped a little below my position (but not downwind). He was a nice buck (130s) but I wasn't really sure he was something I wanted to shoot (I was thinking he was a 3 year old, but was having a tough time getting a really good look at him). It was starting to warm up and they were panting and it didn't take long for them to bed in plain view along a skid trail that ran past right my tree. He was at 131 yards and she was at about 150.

At this point I tried to get a better look at him and shot some really shaky video while I debated getting down and trying to stalk him. After an hour he got up and moved into some shade and she did the same. I watched them mill around for a little bit and I made the decision to go for it, reasoning that if I could kill him with a spot-and-stalk, the magnitude of the hunt would more than make up for any deficiency he had in age or antler score. Regardless, I needed to get going one way or the other. (I admit that if he'd been a bigger buck I would have sat tight in the tree all day if necessary.)

Unfortunately, I missed my best chance to stalk him in the hour that he was bedded in plain sight while the doe was also visible. Now that I was at the base of the tree I could still see him standing in approximately the same position he had been in during the last part of the video, but he soon moved just out of view behind a tree top. It had warmed up considerably so I took of my coat and vest. leaving me with a t-shirt and turtle neck. I nocked an arrow and carefully crept down the grassy skid trail (which is really hard to do when your heart is pounding and a constant dose of adrenaline is being released into your veins.) To make it more difficult, the dry leaves made the proverbial "cornflake crunch" that betrayed my every step.

I made it 30 yards before deciding there was no way I could ever get close enough to the buck and doe to get a shot while making so much noise. I thought of my Heads-Up buck decoy back in my truck, but there was no way I could get to it. Then I thought, "If I can't visually dupe them, maybe I can just run down there sounding like a buck and fool them audibly." (In my defense, I thought I'd heard of someone doing something like this before.)

Unfortunately there wasn't anyone running a camera, but you can imagine the scene! I hunched over and took off, covering the next 100 yards with what I hoped sounded like a trotting buck, while also grunting like a rutting buck. Breathless, I reached the spot where the buck had been bedded and scanned frantically for an antler, an ear, anything. All I saw was 6' high tree tops left by the loggers. I then heard a crash at the bottom of the hill and my hopes sank. "There they went", I mused.

Since I had gone through all the trouble of scampering down there like a fool, I decided I should at least take a peek over the edge of the hill. I cautiously took a step, then another. Just when I could see over the edge of the hill, the doe exploded from a tree top directly in front of me. As I stood there stunned I searched for the buck that should have been with her. A loud snort 25 yards off my left quarter startled me. All I saw was a rack behind a tree top as he turned and bounded down the hill side after the doe.

I'm not sure I would have had a clear shot, but I got to within 25 yards of the buck! In retrospect, I should have made my move when he was still bedded. Another twist that could have worked would have been to just stop once I got to where they had been bedded and grunt and/or snort wheeze to draw him into the open. One thing is for sure- bucks forget a lot of their survival instincts when they are with a hot doe!

Here is the shaky video I took prior to my "stalk":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gVA3ESazHE&feature=youtu.be

• Like 8

Cool story. I love spot and stalk. Have done it a few times in PA on smaller bucks (illegal to shoot), but just for the fun of it to see how close I could get. My dad spot and stalked a buck this year but missed at 32yards. We hunt from the ground (no blind) so its easier to do, then climbing down a treestand first.

By the way, oddest tactic I have been a part of was antelope hunting during their rut. Bucks chasing does everywhere, took a white paper towel and waved it like a little flag and bucks came running thinking its a doe. I didn't invent this, but had read about it working and it definitely does.

When I was a kid there was a gully full of brush behind my house a ways and I used to throw rocks in it to get deer to stand up...shot a 4 pt that the landowners brother took from me

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I used that technique many times Mule Deer hunting. Big draws that you can't get into or see into. Start throwing rocks down and watch the bucks stand up and come running out.

• Like 1

Cool story, that's a hell of a buck.  Is that public land?

No, private. There is some really good public nearby though.

I have done a successful 2 man archery deer drive. Pushed out some red brush really slow to a guy in a ladder stand. Shot a decent buck. It was desperation but worked.

I considered that- might have worked except I was alone. Calling anyone to come help would have been illegal, so that wasn't an option either.

When I was a kid there was a gully full of brush behind my house a ways and I used to throw rocks in it to get deer to stand up...shot a 4 pt that the landowners brother took from me

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I might have been able to use this tactic if I could throw a rock that far! Sometimes it doesn't take much to create an opportunity though.

• Like 1

Have to admit, I would bust a gut watching one of my hunting buddies trying to gallop towards bedded deer.   I could see it working as I am surprised how much noise bucks make chasing.  But, my laughing would likely scare them away first.  Good effort though Sam.  Heck, there's no chance I would be passing a 130s buck anyway.

• Like 3

Buddy asked me to check out 13 acre lake i live by for muskrats. Its 30 ft deep so ppl call it a lake. Blue bird day third week of gun season in soutgern tier.. I take paddle boat and grab gun cuz all dozen houses abandoned for season and there is a thicket on swampy side of lake that im checking out. Didnt think id see nada. Five ft from shore after paddling about pretty loud i kick up nice buck who up then cruises right across the nearest cottages yard. I have permission on this farm that owns thicket and if i was paying attention and didnt have gun laying over on other seat i coulda smoked him. I coulda shot him in front of cottage but dont know those ppl. Shoulda paddled about with gun ready.

I copied the actions of an alert mid aged doe in a wide open field before.  I was going in and she was out early along the way.  I basically acted like she alarmed me and I was her.  I came to full draw and she got within just under 30 yards, ranged after the fact.  she was so on edge and so distraught figuring out what was happening I elected to not shoot.  I felt like an idiot but it technically worked despite I didn't release an arrow. 

I took one of my renzo decoys and walked the entire length of the lane way stalking a group of doe...they would look up once in a while but had no cares...just as I got into range...the school bus came down the hill slowed at the laneway and honked....I stood there as the deer ran past me by inches...I sure that hhmmm person...got a great laugh out of that..

Another time in a full blaze camo suit...I stalked a group...same lane way...as I got close they started to notice....so I dropped my rt. hand down and waved it behind my rt hip...that seemed to settle them down,,,evenually I was able to walk right up to the stand I was going to hunt the afternoon. As they stood 25 yrds away..I climbed slowly up...shot a 7pt an hour later

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Later that same day i walk edge of nieghhoring 9 acre lake thats 100 yards away from 1st lake i kicked up nice 8 at. I crossed a rd and now on state land. I walk around edge of water and stand on beaver dam and cally my buddy to tell him muskrat sitiation. I kick up a wounded deer on edge of cattails it runs 30 yds away and bed downs again. I left my gun this timecuz i walked home and figured id not see another deer. I go home get gun come back deer still there shoot it. Buck that had lost horns the pedicles were still bloody. Front leg broken badly only tendon holding it on. Put a doe tag in it cuz it was an antlerless deer and cut up all meat on him except that broken front shoulder cuz it didnt look quite right. Interesting deer hunting day for a warm late day in late gun season when i went muskrat scouting as a favor.

Edited by Rhwrhwrhw0426

Sampotter you are not the first guy to do what you did.  I know a guy who strictly hunts that way.  I remember the first time and quickly became my last time I hunted with him, I just about busted a gut watching this guy.  Year in and year out he would shoot some really nice bucks and always fill his doe tags.  I was rather envious back then of how he was so successful all the time.  He told me all he does is still hunt till he finds a deer up to his likings and immediately runs at it, he said sometimes the darn things are so confused they just stand there not knowing what to think and other times if they took off he would just keep running after them and eventually they would stop to see what the heck was going on.  He did this with bow and gun.  The day I went with him it was gun season and sure as heck we no sooner got in the woods and this clown took off after this buck, I honestly thought he was just kidding the whole time.  A short while later I hear him shoot.  He comes back and says well you going to help me drag this thing out of here.  Takes all kinds.

Edited by wdswtr
  • Like 1

Lets see...take a pocket of stones with you while hunting in oak...drop them every few minutes...get a length of heavy string and tie it to a sapling near by before climbing to stand...then yank that tree a bit every so often during rut stages. Use a turkey call during deer season...take a real deer tail and tack it to a small sapling on a breezy day in an open wood lot...

• Like 1

Z1eRHla.jpg

That's the jelly doughnut that brought in my very first deer.    I was walking from the truck to the ground blind, scattering old doughnuts behind me every so often.

I settle in and fifteen minutes later a buck shows up. He's following the doughnut trail; he bends down and grabs one, stands up, and I drill him through the chest.  

When I walked up to him he had half the doughnut still in his mouth. 

I was actually looking for bear.

Z1eRHla.jpg

That's the jelly doughnut that brought in my very first deer.    I was walking from the truck to the ground blind, scattering old doughnuts behind me every so often.

I settle in and fifteen minutes later a buck shows up. He's following the doughnut trail; he bends down and grabs one, stands up, and I drill him through the chest.  

When I walked up to him he had half the doughnut still in his mouth. 

I was actually looking for bear.

Im glad we dont hunt in the same area! You coulda shot me!

• Like 3