Using DMP on opening day

Dave

Guys/Gals, I read in the NY Outdoor News that 62% of respondents would shoot a doe on opening day. I have been hunting for a long time and was surprised at the numbers who would take a doe on opening day. I have no problems with filling the DMP but I usually do it later in the season if I have one. My question how many of you would or would not take a doe on opening day ?  And what is your reasoning.

I know some only people only have a limited time to hunt and have to get there  deer while they can. But what about you hunters who hunt hunt through out the season. Who know they will get more chances to to see deer.

Guys/Gals, I read in the NY Outdoor News that 62% of respondents would shoot a doe on opening day. I have been hunting for a long time and was surprised at the numbers who would take a doe on opening day. I have no problems with filling the DMP but I usually do it later in the season if I have one. My question how many of you would or would not take a doe on opening day ? And what is your reasoning.

I know some only people only have a limited time to hunt and have to get there deer while they can. But what about you hunters who hunt hunt through out the season. Who know they will get more chances to to see deer.

Why do you do it later in the season?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

sure, i wouldnt get a dmp if i wasnt going to use it.  maybe if I knew the exact pattern of a big buck that  week , i may hold off thinking he may rumble through but a doe down with meat to cut up can be just as rewarding as shooting a spike or fork for meat

Edited by mac

Oh, boy...This might get ugly....Another horns VS meat thread.

Just my opinion but, as long as we do it legal I do not feel we have keep "reasoning" our kills. If I kill a doe on opening day, who cares? If you shoot a scoring buck on opening day, who cares?

Hunt for you and stop worrying about everyone else. 

• Like 1

Oh, boy...This might get ugly....Another horns VS meat thread.

Just my opinion but, as long as we do it legal I do not feel we have keep "reasoning" our kills. If I kill a doe on opening day, who cares? If you shoot a scoring buck on opening day, who cares?

Hunt for you and stop worrying about everyone else. 

I guess you missed the intention of the question. Just wanted to see if the NY Outdoor News survey was correct. Anyone can shoot a doe anytime they want as long as they have a DMP. Just wanted to see when in the season most people filled their DMP. This has nothing to do with antlers.

I didn't miss the intention......

When would I use a DMP?

When ever the opportunity presents itself as long as I have the tags. If that's opening day SZ I sure would kill a doe. Reasoning is I like to eat venison.

I like venison too.

• Like 1

Filled my doe on a big ole girl being dogged by a buck around 10:40 opening day.....filled my buck tag on the 6pt. 5 min later....now I can hunt close to home....and fill a doe tag in that area.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

congrats

I would do it or would have done it if a doe had walked in front me. I see no reason to wait if you want venison.

Most will wait in anticipation of a buck on a does heals. I know a lot of meat hunters who also bitch about not seeing bucks, but always blast the first doe they see. As long as you don't bitch about not seeing bucks than I'm ok with what you do.

More of my bucks have come on the heals of doe than not.

Most will wait in anticipation of a buck on a does heals. I know a lot of meat hunters who also bitch about not seeing bucks, but always blast the first doe they see. As long as you don't bitch about not seeing bucks than I'm ok with what you do.

More of my bucks have come on the heals of doe than not.

I actually had a buck chasing a doe around me a few weeks ago, could I have waited for the buck? sure....but killed the first one that gave me a shot...the doe, no regrets whatsoever.