Grouse

in October we got into a couple family groups and got into them like crazy at one of my properties. Some of my other spots were hit or miss, I did flush a grouse yesterday while checking trail cams. Dying to get the bird dog back out, she's going nuts not being able to go!

Schatz has been on 2-3 each day we take our "potty" walk.  0-1 per outing when we take the gun.  Go figure.

Interesting tho' is that before the deer season she'd put up singles on our walks, now were into groups of 2-3.  Mostly down low near the streams and wet areas.

Kicked up quite a few during deer season this year. Always puts my heart in my throat when they flush unexpectedly. Even had one put on a strut show back in October, bow hunting.

Ive never stumbled upon one down here in Westchester, but when I hunted up in St. Lawrence County I kicked up a few.  Scared the ever living hell out of me.  Sounded like a helicopter coming out of nowhere.  I was surprised how close you could get to them, if you didn't see them, before they flushed.  I suppose if you were quick enough you could run up and punt one like a football.

I cut my wingshooting teeth hunting grouse. The first year I hunted I killed 14, and that was with a single shot 16 gauge. On opening day, 1965, I killed my first limit of 4 in one day.

Back in the late 70's and early 80, I hunted one season with two buddies and we got our collective limit of 12 birds several times.

I flushed perhaps one or two while turkey hunting this fall, and none while deer hunting.

I don't specifically hunt them anymore, but I do hunt rabbits quite a bit, and it's been years since I killed a grouse while rabbit hunting.